• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah no one is arguing for his inclusion in an ODI all time XI as an opener. Just that if not for his keeping, there is not much between him and Sehwag.
I still reckon there is though & what's frustrating me is I can't seem to demonstrate it analytically :p

anil1405

International Captain
Seems that way. Though he does average 43 @ 86 vs top 8 teams (only 8 matches though).

Still, surprised he never got a spit for SA or Eng.
Not giving a shot at playing for SA was his decision if am not wrong.

I guess he could be termed as the first freelance cricketer or cricket's globe trekker who played for various T20 leagues in different countries.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
1. 21 off 14 is a failure without a context, that day in 2003 was the day Indian top order was supposed to be blown apart by the pace and swing of the Pakistani bowlers, it was the day India were supposed to get all out for 120 chasing 275, what happened instead was that he and Tendulkar tore into the Pakistani attack and India crossed 50 runs in 5 overs (and this was 2003 when 6-7 RPO starts were considered fast), he got out after that but the job was done, the Pakistanis were deflated and the following Indian Batsmen were far more comfortable going in.
2. Even more important than 1, 21 off 14 was used just as an example, it's not the best representative of why Sehwag was so good but it's one of the more remembered matches, his typical innings used to be something like 40(30) which would mean that the RRR would be down from 6 to 5.5 by the time the next Batsmen came in and they could afford to go slow for a moment, play themselves in and express themselves fully once they had a eye in, sure a lot of batsmen did that but Sehwag did it more often (as his average suggests) and better than others ( as his SR suggests).
I literally can't take what you're saying seriously. If you think 21 off 14 as an opener, when chasing 274 is significant, then I just dunno. Paint it any way you want, it's garbage.

A good opener does what Sachin did in that game. That's why Sachin is remembered as a great ODI opener and Sehwag not so much.

OverratedSanity

I literally can't take what you're saying seriously. If you think 21 off 14 as an opener, when chasing 274 is significant, then I just dunno. Paint it any way you want, it's garbage.

A good opener does what Sachin did in that game. That's why Sachin is remembered as a great ODI opener and Sehwag not so much.
His point is that those are the sort of innings Gilchrist is usually defended for saying that his low average is a result of him going really hard at the bowling early on. I don't agree that sehwag is as good as Gilchrist but it's a fair point imo.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seems that way. Though he does average 43 @ 86 vs top 8 teams (only 8 matches though).

Still, surprised he never got a spit for SA or Eng.
I'm not, his record for Essex shows him to be a pretty unremarkable cricketer, on a par with (or actually probably worse than) Ravi Bopara.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That innings of 21 off 14 - it's not a great inning and doesn't say much in Sehwag's favour; he has many other superior knocks in his resume. I think this whole discussion started when this innings was pointed out as an example of how Sehwag develops cold feet in big games and against strong bowling attacks. I think this is not a good example of that.

srbhkshk

International Captain

Well I did say that this is not the best example of what he does. I do remember that while we were disappointed on that day when he got out, no one was of the opinion that it was a crap innings, I suppose you have to be a part of that match experience to understand why it was a decent knock.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah. People forget that hitting 50 off the first 5 overs was incredible in 2003. And to do it while not letting the pressure get to you is special given the context.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Really. I think Sehwag is a ledge, but ffs, stop trying to defend 21 of 14. Mitch Marsh scored 22 of 13 in a match! If 21 off 14 is not letting pressure get to you, then it is likely being a wanker and being too careless.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Really. I think Sehwag is a ledge, but ffs, stop trying to defend 21 of 14. Mitch Marsh scored 22 of 13 in a match! If 21 off 14 is not letting pressure get to you, then it is likely being a wanker and being too careless.

Lol... context is what matters mate. Watch the highlights of the game and see how it set up the game for India and allowed someone like Kaif to take his time and even allowed Sachin to pace himself a bit after a very frenetic start. Sure, its nothing more than a cameo but it was a cameo that counted and to use that as an example of non-performance is what is being argued against here. I dont see anyone saying it was a good performance, even, just that it is NOT a bad performance in the context of that match and that day.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Lol... context is what matters mate. Watch the highlights of the game and see how it set up the game for India and allowed someone like Kaif to take his time and even allowed Sachin to pace himself a bit after a very frenetic start. Sure, its nothing more than a cameo but it was a cameo that counted and to use that as an example of non-performance is what is being argued against here. I dont see anyone saying it was a good performance, even, just that it is NOT a bad performance in the context of that match and that day.
Do you have a link to the game so i can watch highlights. I'm not sure how i watch an innings of 13 balls and see it make a difference, but I'll give it a go if you can point me in the right direction.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That innings aside, I personally think Sehwag is great. Loved watching him. Honestly feel he was a better test bat than ODI bat though.

I will admit that his stats make him look better than what I recollect he was as an ODI batsman. Wasn't he dropped a bit from the team throughout his career?

I do remember Ganguly and Tendulkar opening a lot for India and it seemed like Sehwag wasn't in the team.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne's 20 against NZ in the 96 quarter final was important, kicked the whole chase up a gear. A twenty can affect the state of a match imo

Niall

International Coach
I personally rate Amla highly. If he can perform in the 2019 WC, he's in with a good shout.
Normally agree with most of your posts, but Amla been in any of these lists is shameful. The man has bottled every ICC competition going.

The last world cup was standard Amla, smacked around Ireland's trundlers of doom, and then flopped when it mattered.

Bilateral series are fun at times, but if you can't cut it in World Cups and Champions Trophy (yep failed in them also) then you don't belong on this list whatsoever.

I'd be shocked if he does ought in 2019, I'd give him the champions trophy and if he fails in that, make plans for replacements, he can't be allowed to constantly fail on the big stage.

One of the reasons I like Dhawan however is despite his inconsistency, he bossed it in the champions trophy in 2013 and offered some resistance in the 2015 world cup unlike Amla.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
Yeah, I understand that his ICC performance is going to count against him. But I believe that he's too good to leave without leaving a mark on at least the upcoming CT or the 2019 WC. He's kind of hit a rough patch now and given his age I am not 100% that he might make the 2019 WC though but he has the CT for the taking and I think he might change your opinion.

About Dhawan, I've always backed the guy and also found people rushing to boot him out of the team for guys like KL Rahul, a bit silly given how good he generally has been when push comes to shove. He's difficult to watch when he's out of form, yes, but he's still much better than the guys waiting in the wings. BUT recently the guy has seemed completely out of touch so I don't know what to think. Still if it were up to me, I'd give him the Champions Trophy at least.

Bijed

International Regular
Warne's 20 against NZ in the 96 quarter final was important, kicked the whole chase up a gear. A twenty can affect the state of a match imo
Yeah, it certainly feels like that, a temporary reversal of momentum and suddenly a team that was pushing for victory is on the back foot and vice-versa.

That said, those cases probably stick in the mind more readily than the presumably rather high number of similar innings which had negligible impact on the game. But they certainly can have impact.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
whilst talking about odi opening batsman i'd like to give a shout out to marcus trescothick.

unfortunate to play for a nation that didn't take limited overs cricket serious enough or play it enough. bloke was a legit gun in odi cricket. went under the radar cause of how utter ****e england were.

4,335 @ 37 in 123 matches.
sr 85
12 centuries.

Shri

Mr. Glass
whilst talking about odi opening batsman i'd like to give a shout out to marcus trescothick.

unfortunate to play for a nation that didn't take limited overs cricket serious enough or play it enough. bloke was a legit gun in odi cricket. went under the radar cause of how utter ****e england were.

4,335 @ 37 in 123 matches.
sr 85
12 centuries.
England lost a lot of ODIs when he tonned up though, iirc.:p

Zinzan

England's top 10 ODI cricketers off the top of my head in no order; & yes I'm aware Trott averaged 50, but never rated him as highly as some of the others. Lamb just beats Gower.

Morgan
Pietersen
Trescothick
Buttler
Root
Lamb
Flintoff
Gough
Botham
Willis