• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thilan Samaraweera: a victim of black magic?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL, oh, you mean Ben. Like shooting fish in a barrel, to be honest.
I think the key here is that Ben is very reliant on pure averages (that is, reasonably unqualified) whereas Richard is quite the reverse, as I'm sure you know. I think this discussion is merely fuelling the flames for such a conflict, so we better stop:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LOL, nah, just when it has to do with an Englishman like Hussain being better than him :D
Ah, so it's the outrageous notion of an England batsman being better than Hayden, is it? Explains a lot.

As I've said many times, my take on Hayden has precisely nothing to do with Nasser Hussain or any one other batsman. Hussain simply happened to be the one ol' Swervy picked-up and ran with on that one occasion, as he likes to do from time to time. It's rather annoying when people make-out that it's a case of one player - any one player - 's superiority to Hayden. It's a case of Hayden's inferiority to the rest.

Swervy

International Captain
(sniffs the air)......

I smell a Hayden vs Hussain brewing up again. It might rouse me from hibernation

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ITSTL.

Truly is remarkable how you manage to appear from nowhere following months, sometimes multiple months, of inactivity, if the sniff of a certain something is in the air.

Swervy

International Captain
ITSTL.

Truly is remarkable how you manage to appear from nowhere following months, sometimes multiple months, of inactivity, if the sniff of a certain something is in the air.
I do have a scout around here every week or so...if I have nothing to say, I say nothing.

But Hayden vs Hussain just gives me the horn :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, as I say, it's not really Hussain vs Hayden at all, it's simply a case of Hayden's inadequacies vs other players' adequacies.

You just like to whip it up into more of a frenzy by using Hussain's name alone, almost like a kid who sees an associated random matter contained within a general rule and runs with that by-part for the rest of his life.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Probably because it's not. Apart from anything else, no place is favourable for batting for home teams and not for touring ones. That's an utterly stupid idea.
So you think that England and South African's, who are generally renound as poor players of spin, are going to perform equally as well subcontient batsman on subcontient pitches?

Or why is it that a subcontient batsman has never dominated in South Africa but yet batsman like Kallis, Smith, Gibbs, etc have excelled?

Cricinfo Statsguru - Test matches - Batting records

Richard said:
The idea that Hayden is a patch on any of those subcontinental batsmen is laughable; the idea that Ponting or Kallis are much if at all better than any of them (bar Mohammad Yousuf and Samaraweera) is equally nonsensical.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here's a tip, kid. Think and do some research on topics cricket related before you post, to avoid embarrassment.

Faceless void

Cricket Spectator
Here we go again!

Age old scenario!

1. Someone makes an idiotic comment. ( This time it's Ben saying that sangakkara is a subcontinent bully)
BTW does any other poster agree that he really is? or was it jus some kind of a joke?

2. A quality post that truly hits the nail showing the baseless logic of the idiotic comment (Migara's one) goes completely unnoticed.

3. Richard shows up to straighten matters.

4. Someone shows up to defend the idiotic post (Ikki this time,might have very easily been SOC)

4. Someone comes up with an imaginary statement (That richard said in this post it self that Hussein is better than Hayden)

5. As a diversion from Ben's post everyone merrily joins the age old Richard bashing game.

6, Mods call for a cease

7. some precamb or xuhaib-esque guy over reacts, and gets banned
(Richard is waaaaaaaaay too experienced so doesn't fall into that kind of trap)

8. Everyone lives happily there after.

The End

P.S- Dose any one disagree?

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Martyn > Tendulkar (flat track bully) IMO

ben91 do you agree?
:laugh:

Epic Fail.

I said numerous times that Tendulkar and Dravid are exceptions to the subcontient farce.

Out of anyone, this is kinda rich because yesterday you told me to read posts before posting, to avoid embarrassment. Go figure, eh?

Flem274*

123/5
:laugh:

Epic Fail.

I said numerous times that Tendulkar and Dravid are exceptions to the subcontient farce.

Out of anyone, this is kinda rich because yesterday you told me to read posts before posting, to avoid embarrassment. Go figure, eh?
That avatar makes that poor Aussie player look like a complete arrogant **** tbh, get rid of it.

Faceless void

Cricket Spectator
Sangakkara averages 65 in Australia and 67 in New Zealand yet only 24.8 in India. (in tests)

Hayden Averages 58 in His own backyard, 28.14 in New Zealand yet has an average of 51 playing in India.

Yet Sangakkara is the subcontinent flat track bully who cant even get close to Hayden-the greatest ever opener.:laugh:

Such words of wisdom!
That's all I have to say about this topic.If the guy still keeps on arguing I'll consider him logic proof and get busy with revising physiology for the upcoming exam.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Don't quite get the hype on Kumar Sangakkara on this forum. Good bat, definately, but I've seen many posts saying that his potentially one of the best batsman of the modern era. Kevin Pietersen is the only one I see getting close to Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid or Hayden in the near future, TBH.

Faceless void

Cricket Spectator
Age old scenario!

1. Someone makes an idiotic comment. ( This time it's Ben saying that sangakkara is a subcontinent bully)
BTW does any other poster agree that he really is? or was it jus some kind of a joke?

2. A post showing it's baseless logic (Migara's one) goes completely unnoticed.

3. Richard shows up to straighten matters.

4. Someone shows up to defend the idiotic post (Ikki this time,might have very easily been SOC)

4. Someone comes up with an imaginary statement (That richard said in this post it self that Hussein is better than Hayden)

5. As a diversion from Ben's post everyone merrily joins the age old Richard bashing game.

6, Mods call for a cease

7. some precamb or xuhaib-esque guy over reacts, and gets banned
(Richard is waaaaaaaaay too experienced so doesn't fall into that kind of trap)

8. Everyone lives happily there after.

The End

P.S- Dose any one disagree?

Tactful diversion-Step no 5 :ph34r: