• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thilan Samaraweera: a victim of black magic?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For a change see the number of SL batsmen who average more than 50 in FCC. That will give a good idea on "flatness" of te pitches. Don't forget to compare it with the test averages as well.
Haha, yeah, indeed. He seems to have just thrown a blanket over the subcontinent and decided it's all the same thing.

Samaraweera probably is a good example of a batsman whose record is inflated by flat subcontinental wickets - hell I'm one of his biggest fans and even I don't think he should average 50 odd - but Sangakkara, Dravid, Younis etc really aren't and to suggest so shows a lack of perspective.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
lol @ you

How anyone can argue that the subcontient isn't the most flattest and favourable batting conditions for home teams is beyhond me.
Probably because it's not. Apart from anything else, no place is favourable for batting for home teams and not for touring ones. That's an utterly stupid idea.
Better yet, anyone who laughs or thinks subcontient bullies like Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Sangakkara, YKhan, Yousuf, Inzamam, Sehwag, etc are close to Ponting, Lara, Kallis, Pietersen and Hayden is even more depressing.
The idea that Hayden is a patch on any of those subcontinental batsmen is laughable; the idea that Ponting or Kallis are much if at all better than any of them (bar Mohammad Yousuf and Samaraweera) is equally nonsensical.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I didn't so much as once mention Pietersen in the above post. Pietersen's career is still relatively young and there's not so much as a guess as can work-out how it's going to turn-out.

No surprise to see KaZoH0lic\Ikki striking again in the attempt-to-put-words-into-mouth to try to find straw-men to knock down though.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, I didn't so much as once mention Pietersen in the above post. Pietersen's career is still relatively young and there's not so much as a guess as can work-out how it's going to turn-out.
So Jayawardene, Sangakkara > Ponting and Kallis.

You're one funny guy. You back to making these again:

No surprise to see KaZoH0lic\Ikki striking again in the attempt-to-put-words-into-mouth to try to find straw-men to knock down though.
My apologies, I thought when you said "any of them" after you made the distinction before for "subcontinental" you meant Pietersen et al. Although, there's still a lot of mayo in that post.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Really? Where did all these specials come from then:

Hussain > Hayden
Jaywardene, Sangakkara > Ponting, Kallis
Bishop > Warne
Ambrose >>> Lillee

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Try to read my words, rather than KaZoH0lic\Ikki's interpretation of them.

That way, you'll get an idea of what I said rather what I didn't say.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Try to read my words, rather than KaZoH0lic\Ikki's interpretation of them.

That way, you'll get an idea of what I said rather what I didn't say.
Ok, let's read your words:

So first you say that Hayden is not even a "patch" on any of these players:

Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Sangakkara, YKhan, Yousuf, Inzamam, Sehwag

Then you say that it's non-sensical to say that Kallis or Ponting are better than:

Jayawardene, Sangakkara, YKhan, Inzamam, Sehwag

---

Dear Richard, I want a double whopper with bacon thanks.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't know what you've just done!
Don't worry - long-term members know to take comments like that with a pinch of salt. I have no desire to debate it any more than they do; I just want one idiotic comment (ie, wfdu_ben91's one) to be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Don't worry - long-term members know to take comments like that with a pinch of salt. I have no desire to debate it any more than they do; I just want one idiotic comment (ie, wfdu_ben91's one) to be treated with the contempt it deserves.
Sure, that was your intention. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ok, let's read your words:

So first you say that Hayden is even a "patch" on any of these players:

Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Sangakkara, YKhan, Yousuf, Inzamam, Sehwag

Then you say that it's non-sensical to say that Kallis or Ponting are better than:

Jayawardene, Sangakkara, YKhan, Inzamam, Sehwag
Try reading again. This time, read what is there rather than what you'd like to be there.
Dear Richard, I want a double whopper with bacon thanks.
Better look somewhere else then.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Very strong Matthew Hayden fan who has slight issues with letting things go.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL, nah, just when it has to do with an Englishman like Hussain being better than him :D
Ben is a strong Hayden fan, if the Hussain/Hayden debate does come up between the two, it could be chaos.