• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think this holds up. Amar Singh played his tests in four years against one opposition in two countries and averaged a tick over 30. Despite only playing for a year and a half Bumrah already has a more rounded and better record, with not playing at home the main defect.
Nah. He played 90+ FC matches over a longer period and had an excellent record - not too shabby with the bat too. You can’t judge the Test record by modern standards when it took a month to get to the ground you were gonna play at.

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
Amar Singh did have a very nice reputation among his international peers, something that isn't mentioned enough is that he was also a very capable batsman. Still you just can't have a guy with 7 matches in an ATG side, neither one with 12 fwiw.
rip Procter and Richards.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Mankad over Sehwag weakens the batting considerably and doesn't improve the bowling. Just make Ashwin/Kumble bowl their arm off.
The actual thought process here came from your desire to have Ganguly as a third quick. My team shows a better balanced side, with two legit spinners and three legit quicks. So if you just want three quicks and just one spinner, sure, Sehwag or Merchant would open.

FWIW, I didn't just throw Mankad in there for the sake of it. As an opener he averaged 40+ across 24 matches

Red

B.Richards
G.Smith *
J.Kallis
G.Pollock
AB. DeVilliers +
A.Faulkner
M.Procter
S.Pollock
H.Tayfield
D.Steyn
A.Donald

Seven legit bowling options: Donald, Steyn, Pollock, Procter, Tayfield, Faulkner, Kallis

Bit jammy getting ABDV to keep, but he actually averaged more as a keeper than he did as a non keeper (57 vs 48). And I want all the guys I've picked in the side.

If you wanted to include Waite or Boucher it's easy enough to drop Pollock or Procter and include a keeper while still having six bowlers.

Red

SA all rounder XI

Eddie Barlow
Trevor Goddard
Jaques Kallis
AB DeVilliers
Clive Rice
Jonty Rhodes
Aubrey Faulkner
Brian McMillan
Lance Klusener
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
B.Richards
G.Smith *
J.Kallis
G.Pollock
AB. DeVilliers +
A.Faulkner
M.Procter
S.Pollock
H.Tayfield
D.Steyn
A.Donald

Seven legit bowling options: Donald, Steyn, Pollock, Procter, Tayfield, Faulkner, Kallis

Bit jammy getting ABDV to keep, but he actually averaged more as a keeper than he did as a non keeper (57 vs 48). And I want all the guys I've picked in the side.

If you wanted to include Waite or Boucher it's easy enough to drop Pollock or Procter and include a keeper while still having six bowlers.
I think de Villiers was just as good a keeper as Boucher anyway

kyear2

International Coach
Agree, hope I'm recalling correctly. But my most stark memory of his keeping was him standing up to Murali and it wasn't pretty.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get two spinners but do not see the point of Procter in the team With Donald, Pollock, Steyn and Kallis. You'd barely need to bowl him. Throw Herbie Taylor in or something - people talk about Procter like he's god for some reason

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally, Faulkner is probably the one guy I'd drop from RH's team, perhaps for someone like Dudley Nourse. Procter is almost the first guy picked my AT RSA XI.

Coronis

International Coach
I get two spinners but do not see the point of Procter in the team With Donald, Pollock, Steyn and Kallis. You'd barely need to bowl him. Throw Herbie Taylor in or something - people talk about Procter like he's god for some reason
I mean he pretty much was. Frontline bowler who can also score 6 consecutive centuries? Yes please. Takes wickets at the same rate as Imran and scores more centuries than Botham? Hell ****ing yeah.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Richards
Smith*
Kallis - 6
Pollock
Nourse
de Villiers +
Faulkner - 5
Procter - 3
- Pollock
Tayfield - 4
Steyn - 1
+ Donald - 2

Can't find a place for Amla, so I have Kallis at 3 because he is a fighter and I imagine that spot would be fit for him. I have Dudley Nourse but his father, Dave Nourse also presents a formidable case with his all-round skills. De Villiers has an average far superior to other contenders and was okay with the gloves. This side bats very deep which IMO is good.

Last edited: