• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's no joke. It's what I really think about player quality. I don't cowtow to the CW consensus.

That's one thing I appreciate about the lists of user @Pap Finn Keighl . Don't really agree that much. But it is his own, original opinion.
Bro it's not just "CW conensus" you're in conflict with, with some of these. Everyone has the right to opinion but that doesn't mean some aren't atrocious opinions

Oh and Wade will always > Head. He was just misunderstood in his time

shortpitched713

International Captain
Tendulkar for mine, gets away with a big chunk of pretty uninspiring play, in a flat wicket era, in a flat wicket home country, with excellent team batting support.

90s Tendulkar was the real deal, but we like to pretend it's not the same person as the latter model, when it was.

And don't get me started with the whole "he did enough by point X" lark, that is applied to literally no other player in history, be that Botham or Waqar or Kholi or whoever.

ataraxia

International Coach
Tendulkar for mine, gets away with a big chunk of pretty uninspiring play, in a flat wicket era, in a flat wicket home country, with excellent team batting support.

90s Tendulkar was the real deal, but we like to pretend it's not the same person as the latter model, when it was.

And don't get me started with the whole "he did enough by point X" lark, that is applied to literally no other player in history, be that Botham or Waqar or Kholi or whoever.
What is your opinion on longevity?

shortpitched713

International Captain
As opposed to Matthew ****ing Hayden.
Averaged over 50, as an opener in the modern era. Pretty inspiring, given that those guys don't really exist.

Being a 40s averaging middle order bat in India, was what put Tendulkar in a bit of danger of being dropped in the early/mid 2000s.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Hayden didn't have to face Glenn McGrath tbf. Ray Price, Trevor Gripper, Andy Blignaut and Shaun Ervine not quite as threatening
hayden had to face mcgrath every day in the nets. that he came through that without having his confidence shattered shows how much better he was than tendulkar. i mean tendulkar must have walked out to each innings with supreme confidence, by comparison.

TheJediBrah

Bit of a tangent but I reckon McGrath is the kind of guy you face in the nets and he doesn't really concern you. Like he might nick you off once in a while but you're not going to look silly with big swing or pace. I've played with a few guys like that when they come on in the nets you're not worried but in actual games they generally clean up with 3-20 off 10 overs. But when the B grader who sprays it and usually takes 2-60 in the 2's bowls to you, then you sharpen up a bit

trundler

And don't get me started with the whole "he did enough by point X" lark, that is applied to literally no other player in history, be that Botham or Waqar or Kholi or whoever
Those guys didn't have a full ATG career's worth of output though. Botham was next level for ~5 years then had some years where he was more of a batting AR, Waqar and Kohli had 4 year peaks and some good years. Tendulkar was already seen as a level above the likes of Greg Chapell by the early 2000s and put in that second to Bradman tier virtually universally. Huge difference. Tendulkar's 'peak' is most of the 90s through ~2002. And then he had a second peak around 2010.