• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Team World Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry Aussie, but you did it twice in one post so I gotta correct you.

were* the better team. Not 'where'.

Apologies, needed to get that out of the system.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, I never whine about injuries, part of the game. One bad batting session cost us a test and thereby a drawn series.
Not necessarily a whine about injuries. Just acknowledging as i always say that unless you are legendary team with great bench strenght like Windies 76-91 & AUS 95-2006/07. Teams in general cannot be expected to lose key players to injuries who are basically the heart beat of the side & be expected to maintain that high level of performance. SA didn't have the depth to cover for losing Steyn & Kallis the bowler - thats basically why ENG managed to draw that series.

If we look back @ that series:

- In Centurion. ENG deserved that draw. SA selectors made the mistake of persisting with Ntini when he should have been dropped before that series, so they didn't help themselves with that selection. But with Steyn out & Kallis not being able to bowl, their back-ups weren't good enough to do that job.

- In Durban. ENG outplayed SA. But although Steyn came back, he was not bowling at his best. SA didn't help themselves by again making a poor selection is retaining Ntini instead of picking DeWet.

- In Capetown. ENG where lucky to draw that game. SA where on top for most of that game. Since they got their best side on the park now, esepcially in the bowling attack. Losing De Wet to injury on the final day was the difference in that game. Just like how AUS losing Bollinger @ the end of the Mohali test was difference in that test.

- In Jo'Burg. With no injuries hitting the attack & everything going smoothly for SA. SA totally smoked ENG.

So 2-1 to SA, would certainly have been a better reflection of that series.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It would equally wrong to call SA # 1 team now even
So if India aren't number 1 and South Africa aren't number 1, does that make Sri Lanka (current rating 3) number 1, or should it perhaps be England (current rating 4).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So if India aren't number 1 and South Africa aren't number 1, does that make Sri Lanka (current rating 3) number 1, or should it perhaps be England (current rating 4).
Ok so what you have done here. Is pick at the starting of that full post which reads & explains:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2346207-post112.html

quote said:
It would equally wrong to call SA # 1 team now even. Even if SA beat IND as i expect in the new year. Things will still remain even. It will just prove my point that in this post AUS 95-2006/07 # 1 decline. All of AUS/SA/IND are good enough to beat each other @ home with their full strenght sides - but aren't that good enough to win in each others turf. Since SA did fail to beat IND @ home twice in 2008 & 2010 & AUS @ home 08/09.

quote said:
Well yea. Between SRI 2006 - AUS 2009 (@ home). SA where basically unbeated in test cricket. If they had managed to beat India over the course of those series (they came VERY close to), along with beating AUS @ home in AUS 2009. They would have conquered all challenges home/away & they clearly would have been the undisputed # 1 in this post AUS 95-2006/07 # 1 decline.

But given they slipped up in IND tiwce & AUS @ home. Plus drawing in ENG last year (although injuries to key player in that series played a role in this). That downgrades them & proves why its all very even ATM in tests.

And follow it up. With dumb sarcasm. SMH, ony on CW.net can this happen.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I love how you are arguing against the English language. Keep on keeping on mate.

I wish you success and you have my solidarity in this great battle of yours.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Doesn't sound right either. Should we try whoever it is at #5?:ph34r:

akilana

International 12th Man
SA have been defeated only once in the last 4(?) years and India has been undefeated for a few years now. Australia has lost three series and failed to put away a woeful Pakistan side. How's it a 3 way contest with Australia being the other team?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SMH, ony on CW.net can this happen.
Like I said here aussie, if there's an issue with a post, try reporting it instead of just complaining about the standards of the site. And if the quality of the website upsets that you much, there is always plenty of others out there.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SA have been defeated only once in the last 4(?) years and India has been undefeated for a few years now. Australia has lost three series and failed to put away a woeful Pakistan side. How's it a 3 way contest with Australia being the other team?
Since AUS lost their # 1 raning at the end of 206/07. Both IND & SA have won 9 out the 13/14 series they have played.

Its a three way contest regardless of AUS losing more series than since 2007 that IND/SA. Since like IND/SA AUS remain very solid @ home, but alll three of these teams are likely to struggle to win in each others backyards as we move forward to future series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Like I said here aussie, if there's an issue with a post, try reporting it instead of just complaining about the standards of the site. And if the quality of the website upsets that you much, there is always plenty of others out there.
I didn't have a problem with a post, i was just making a sarcastic respond to the posters sarcastic response. Nor do i have problem with this site (although as long member since my return, i dont think cricketchat on CW is as good as circa 2005-2007 when certain former poster where around). Plus i do post on other sites anyway.

I do report posts. But i do feel i have been around here long enough to know how to deal with certain poster who wish to intice flame wars & cool it down. Instead of reporting every single posts to you mods that has the slightest degree of controversey like a cry baby also.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Exactly my point, even though the English were extremely lucky last year.
There is nothing lucky about not getting bowled out in the allotted time. Your bowlers weren't good enough to get Graeme Onions out, go have a cry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.