• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Superleague XI Discussion thread

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm just having withdrawal symptoms. It's been so long since I've been able to let rip with bad puns in the BotB thread, I just couldn't help myself.

:ph34r:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Oh **** off! My sister just kidnapped the computer and closed all my IE windows :@ My write-up was more or less finished. It took me 6 hours of not really concentrating on it. Cba writing it all up again. It wasn't great anyway. I'll just give you the file. Do with it as you wish.

...And WELCOME TO THE SUPERLEAGUE!! :holiday:

Attachments

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Superleague Round-up

There were shocks aplenty in the 1st round of the Super League, as the Grand finalists in Seasons IX and X, Leeds and Bradford, both went down.

Wakefield's physical game was too much for Bradford as the Wildcats forwards won the armwrestle with their Bullish counterparts and denied Bradford's explosive backs any room for manoeuvre, despite going 12-6 down at half time. Prop Darrell Griffin in particular dominated in midfield and capped off his Man Of The Match performance with his side's last tryin the 73rd minute.

Last season's dark horses and Challenge Cup holders, Hull FC, overcame Leeds Rhinos courtesy of a late try from Motu Tony at the KC stadium. Richard Whiting shocked the visitors with a try within 5 minutes, but Leeds pulled themselves back up. Both defences stayed firm until Tony's winner in the last 2 minutes to snatch a repeat result of the last Challenge Cup final.

Despite going 10-0 down inside 6 minutes, The Warrington Wolves eased past the London Broncos in the capital. Ex-St Helens winger John Kirkpatrick's two tries to go with 4 pointers from Nick Bradley-Qalilawa, Thomas Leuluai and Lee Hopkins ensured the Broncos went down fighting, but a two try burst in a minute and a half coming towards the last 10 minutes and a drop goal from Welsh captain Lee Briers assured the Wolves victory.

St Helens easily overcame wooden spoon favourites, Widnes, to give themselves a winning start. Willie Talau scored 3 tries in 10 minutes as Saints burst into a 40-0 lead at half time. And, although they took their foot off the gas in the second half, they cruised home, winning by 32 points.

Wigan dominated a poor Salford City Reds outfit, running out 34-4 winners. David "not quite Jamie Lyon, but good enough for cherry and white" Vaealiki scoring 2 tries.

Attachments

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, ha! Get in! Putting in a big performance when it matters, boys! Great stuff from Nath from the interchange bench & super kicking from Mr Fuller! :D

David

International 12th Man
Top effort lads! Glad I could be involved in our first match of the season! Let's keep it going!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Two points.

1. Great start to the season boys.
2. We want more participation from the team members within the forum.

Thanks

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, really pleased with my first game, to score a try and kick as well as I did. Great to start off with a win, too. :)

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
Good win guys, its seems i played 80 minutes and did nothing apparently. Maybe i was good in defence.

Haha Tharmi, you must be the worse sportsmen alive you can't get a game in CWXI and now in the Superleague :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Super League Round 2

Code:
       [B]Warrington Wolves                CW Crusaders[/B]
        1  Brent Grose                  1  Nick Borcich
        2  Henry Fa'afili               2  Alex Crampton
        3  Martin Gleeson               3  Tharmi Longanathan
        4  Toa Kohe-Love                4  Rich Hingston
        5  Graham Appo                  5  Neil Pickup
        6  Lee Briers (C)               6  Sean Fuller
        7  Nathan Wood                  7  Jack McNamara
        8  Chris Leikvoll               8  Sean Bennett
        9  Mark Gleeson                 9  Sriram Gurunathan
        10  Danny Lima                  10  Rich Langley
        11  Logan Swann                 11  Rob Malone
        12  Ben Westwood                12  Thamba Mamesh
        13  Jon Clarke                  13  Dale Brumby (C)
   ++Interchange
        14  Darryl Cardiss              14  Andrew Cameron
        15  Chris Bridge                15  Xavier Rose
        16  Paul Noone                  16  Nath Patrick
        17  Mike Wainwright             17  Alex Blackman
Following a glorious introduction to the Super League with a victory over the Huddersfield Giants, the next task for the Crusaders was a trip to the Halliwell-Jones Stadium to take on a strong Warrington Wolves outfit built around a strong backline led by Wales captain Lee Briers and Nathan Wood in the half backs. Captain Dale Brumby was back for the Crusaders, and slotted straight in at Loose Forward, with David Kennett injured. An injury to Jamee Gray meant that South African union convert Rich Hingston was given his first Super League start, and a tough job in keeping Great Britain centre Martin Gleeson quiet.

The Crusaders started in the worst way imaginable, being penalised for fighting inside a minute of the kick off and, having been gifted the ball 5 metres out from the Manx team's line, the Wolves built some pressure and Second Rower Ben Westwood went over to put Warrington ahead. It went from bad to worse for the Crusaders when Jon Clarke and Martin Gleeson put big winger Henry Fa'afili over in the corner. Clarke's break and Gleeson's quick hands left Fa'afili with only the weedy Pickup to beat and, despite the little ginger ninja's most valiant efforts, he was easily brushed aside. Lee Briers slotted both convertions easily and it looked like it would be a walk over, but the Crusaders showed they are made of stern stuff as they battled back. In the 14th minute, big Rich Langley bulldozed his way through the middle to cross the whitewash under the posts for the Crusaders' first point. Fuller easily added the two and, less than 3 minutes later, collected two more to close the gap to 4 points when the Wolves were penalised for holding Mamesh down.
Half way through the first half, the Crusaders hit the lead for the first time when McNamara's clever cut out pass sent Crampton through a gap and over the try line at full steam. Fuller's cool head and and sure boot gave his his third goal from three attempts and made the scoreline 14-12 in favour of the visitors. The lead only lasted less than 10 minutes, though, as Jon Clarke was the first to reach and ground Lee Briers' grubber into the in-goal. Although Briers missed the convertion attempt, the try gave Warrington a slender 2 point lead which they would take into the second half.

The second half was much more subdued, with both teams seeming to run out of the energy that made such a frantic first 20 minutes. The scores remained unmoved until just before the hour, when a Briers penalty stretched Warrington's lead to 4 points, which Fuller's boot hacked back down to 2 in the 65th minute. Neither side looked able to break the trench warfare that had set in, and the Crusaders' chances were finished 4 minutes from time when Pickup's sin binning reduced them to twelve men.

Warrington Wolves 18 CW Crusaders 16

Warrington Wolves
Tries: Henry Fa'afili, Jon Clarke, Ben Westwood
Goals: Lee Briers 3 ( 6 )

CW Crusaders
Tries: Alex Crampton, Rich Langley
Goals: Sean Fuller 4 ( 4 )

Player of the Match Awards
3 points: Thamba Mamesh
2 points: Jon Clarke
1 point: Rich Hingston

Attachments

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Super League Round up

The game of the round promised to be the clash between the teams that finished first and second in last years ladder, when Leeds faced the Saints at Headingley. However, St Helens ran out convincing 22-6 winners. Leeds obviously missed injured scrum half Rob Burrow, and the way the hard working Saints forwards nullified Leeds' powerful pack was the key to the game. Once you can do that to Leeds and your threequarters contains Jamie Lyon, Willie Talau, and Darren Albert, winning the game becomes so much easier. Albert got two of Saints' tries to go with Talau's 5th in 2 games and Lyon's first of the campaign.

Nothing could seperate Huddersfield and Hull, as they drew 16-16. One of 3 draws this round, along with Salford and London's 14 all result. Salford scored 2 tries in 76 seconds when entering the last 10 minutes to come from 14-2 down.

Wigan beat Wakefield 28-12, with Dennis Moran finally having a good game for Wigan, scoring two tries.

Bradford's start to the season just got ten times worse when they failed to beat Widnes. The defending champions could only manage a 20-20 draw. Wigan old boys Gary Connolly and Terry O'Connor scored tries for the Vikings.

Attachments