• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Broad retires

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Great career. The Walsh to Jimmy's Ambrose?
More like the Ambrose to Anderson’s Walsh in the sense that you had one guy who struggled for the better part of a decade to establish himself as a first choice new ball bowler, but once he did he just got better and better as he fine tuned his bowling; while the other came into the side at a young age, quickly established himself, was taller and quicker, less consistent but also much more likely to blow a top-tier opposition batting lineup off the park.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fantastic bowler, he's much closer to anderson for me than for most people.

He wasn't quite an ATG bowler but when he got on a roll, he was almost above ATG level. Truly absurd the kind of spells he was capable of. The scars he left in the 2011 series vs us are deep and will never heal.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Great bowler. 2011 4-0 series is the first thing that will come to my mind anytime I think of him. And then the six sixes which is just an aberration.

Destroyed India with both bat and ball in the 2011 series.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow.....never saw this coming so soon. I just loved the way Broad went about the game he could always manage to create some theatre and get the crowd up and about.

Will be very sorely missed by this side. I'm actually quite gutted by the news tbh.....my love for the game is at a bit of a low the last few years and Stuart Broad is one of 3 or 4 players that kept my interest ticking over.

morgieb

Without a doubt one of modern cricket's great characters. From the whole Ashes-winning spell in 2009, to him destroying India when everyone was writing him off, to his antics in 2013, to the 8-fer in 2015, the 6-fer against South Africa to win a series there and so on, you always felt like in a big series something was always going to happen with him there. He loved the fanfare in a way that is rare amongst cricketers and that always made him an intriguing character regardless of the circumstances and one that when you weren't hating him made you warm to him massively.

I was shocked that he was retiring here given he was still bowling rather well, but equally it makes sense. He wasn't likely to have a significant impact in India, he's been effectively retired from one-day cricket for years and then what? Another Ashes series in two and a half years? It feels the right time to leave.

Definitely a massive loss to the game, as well as English cricket. Following them without him will feel weird (though less weird than English cricket without Anderson!)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Can a case be made that he’s actually better than Jimmeh?
Absolutely not. I mean Broad is way more likely to do mad spells and run through a side when he's on......but career wise Jimmy is definitely a level above.

I can sort of get why some Aussies rate Broad higher as his Ashes performances have been far superior.......but, y'know Eng do play cricket outside of the Ashes.

Burgey

Absolutely not. I mean Broad is way more likely to do mad spells and run through a side when he's on......but career wise Jimmy is definitely a level above.

I can sort of get why some Aussies rate Broad higher as his Ashes performances have been far superior.......but, y'know Eng do play cricket outside of the Ashes.
Yeah but it doesn’t matter

the big bambino

International Captain
Not totally surprising given his age and how much the ashes seemed to mean to him. And you'd want to go out at home as well. A terrific bowler though I didn't fear him like Ambrose, Holding, Snow and Akram (I would've feared Akram even more if he wasn't such a treat to watch) and I think better than Anderson. He seemed more threatening than his team mate in all conditions whereas I thought, Australia at least, had Anderson's number in true conditions.

Not bad timing either really. Nice motivation for the team as they've built up a match winning lead and ahead of the last innings of the match.

Daemon

This really came as a surprise to me. Thought he looked like he was enjoying his cricket and off the field stuff immensely under Stokes, after a rough patch thanks to the ECB. He's bowling as well as ever too.

Look forward to hearing him on commentary where he's really quite excellent.

Uppercut

My favourite non Australian cricketer. Been a long since it felt like @GIMH and I were the only two posters here who thought he was any good just before the series against India in 2011. Proceeded to deliver some of the highest quality series of fast bowling you'll see.

Born matchwinner. Stats will never quite tell you the value of cricketers like him.
I remember me and GIMH being the only two posters who wanted him playing in the 2009 Ashes. We were the only posters tragic enough to watch England’s punishing tour of the West Indies that year where Broad was secretly England’s best bowler.

His career really started with that spell at The Oval so we’ll see today if he can end it the same way it began. England matches will never be the same without him. He’s been so so much fun.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Has another bowler taken two international hat tricks?

The dismissal of Harbhajan, when he smashed the middle off it (and was given lbw but India refused to use DRS) was very good. England won a test they were way behind in.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Fantastic bowler, he's much closer to anderson for me than for most people.

He wasn't quite an ATG bowler but when he got on a roll, he was almost above ATG level. Truly absurd the kind of spells he was capable of. The scars he left in the 2011 series vs us are deep and will never heal.
yeah i don't intend to overegg the pudding here but like, when jimmeh is on song obviously it's something to behold and his control of the ball's movement is just ace, but then when broad's on song it feels like the batsman just oblige him their outside edge, like he's got a bind on their soul. impeccable.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't wait for the chapter in his book about how he bullied Pietersen

My favourite non Australian cricketer. Been a long since it felt like @GIMH and I were the only two posters here who thought he was any good just before the series against India in 2011. Proceeded to deliver some of the highest quality series of fast bowling you'll see.

Born matchwinner. Stats will never quite tell you the value of cricketers like him.
Impossible Challenge: Find a thread where Spark doesn't claim to have said something first