• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Knights squad back in Div 1.

Kept faith with the squad that earned promotion mainly. Room for Muthusamy to be added on top of Senokwane, Phangiso & van Dyk.

Quite like van Dyk. Bowling quickly and got the SA A call-up despite being in Div 2.

Dian Forrester a new name was their player of the season. Middle-order batsman and a bit of spin.

Screenshot_2024-04-23-19-08-04-69_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
Nothing particular yet but we know de Zorzi & Burger got a CSA contracts.

Think it's 17 pro contracts & 2+ rookies

Really could do with unearthing some seamers/quicks.

Vallie (does he stay on?)
Moore
Bedingham (is he actually contracted?)
Verreynne
Kaplan (promotion from rookie)
Bird
D Smith
Kitime

Nyaku (I wouldn't keep him)
Mpongwana

Linde
Simmonds
James (rookie)

Parnell (does he stay on?)
Paterson
B Hendricks
Nabe
Bedja (new)
Article today says that WP expect no movements for next season. Judging by the early movement from everyone else, I would say it's a bit concerning. Especially with the financial state of WP.

Northerner

Cricket Spectator
Slightly off track, but can anyone say what happened to Heinrich LeRoux, a very good fast bowler and hard hitting batter, he was excellent in the under 19s and his first class record was pretty good too, always thought he could have made it as an international player,

Bahseph

State Captain
No surprises that the Lions won the CSA20. A team stacked with Proteas in that top 5 shouldn't have many issues knocking off the Dolphins. My boys are a threat down on the coast because of Subrayen and Smuts but there isn't enough firepower in that batting lineup to score big on a regular basis. Every time I watch Mulder I get more and more frustrated that he hasnt really shown anything at international level!

Bahseph

State Captain
Are we expecting any late bolters? Surely our side looks something like:

1. Reeza
2. QDK
3. Markram
4. Stubbs
5. Klaasen
6. Miller
7. Jansen
8. Kesh
9. KG
10. Coetzee
11. ???

I see Shamsi going but who else?? Nortje, Nvidia,Williams or Baartman?? Could Mulder sneak in? Please don't take Andile! If it were 50 overs I'd be all in on him but not T20.

SeamUp

International Coach

1. Reeza
2. QDK
3. Markram
4. Stubbs
5. Klaasen
6. Miller
7. Jansen
8. Kesh
9. KG
10. Coetzee
11. ???

I see Shamsi going but who else?? Nortje, Nvidia,Williams or Baartman?? Could Mulder sneak in? Please don't take Andile! If it were 50 overs I'd be all in on him but not T20.
Can't see them taking Nortje. Just no where near ready & confident. I see Williams is playing over him in last couple of games in IPL and got tap.

11/12 Shamsi/Burger
13 Rickelton
14 Mulder/Fortuin (they prob take Phehlukwayo)
15 Baartman/Ngidi

There is three T20s in Windies at end of May but still overlaps with IPL.

Maybe we see Breetzke, vd Dussen, Swanepoel (Kent though?) & Nqaba Peter make a final play. Brevis/Ferreira/Maphaka - would defo ask if they can leave IPL.

Bahseph

State Captain
Breetzke for sure. Did well in the SA20 and CSA20. I'd hope they take Rickelton as well. Are we really that much in the doldrums with our T20 allrounders at the moment? Might as well get Smuts involved if the pitches are going to be a little tacky.

Stefan9

International Debutant

1. Reeza
2. QDK
3. Markram
4. Stubbs
5. Klaasen
6. Miller
7. Jansen
8. Kesh
9. KG
10. Coetzee
11. ???

WellI hope mulder,baartman and rickelton get the nod. But expect the old conservatism to prevail.

SeamUp

International Coach
In: Nortje, De Kock, Fortuin, Rickelton, Baartman

Wild that a 150kph left-armer in Burger who swings it in the power play doesn't get in.

20240430_101132.jpg

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Wild that a 150kph left-armer in Burger who swings it in the power play doesn't get in.

View attachment 40120
Also, who's dad did b swanepool shag to get consistently ignored like this? Has dominated the list-A and FC stuff for ages, got a serious run in t20 cricket for the first time this year, did well in the games he got in the SA 20 and in the 20 over challenger took 21 wickets @17 and made 125 runs @25 and a Sr of 150.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

View attachment 40120
It feels like they went for experience, incumbents over newer more exciting talent. Only player I don't like the selection of is Fortuin. Don't think he is good enough at international level.

Stefan9

International Debutant
It feels like they went for experience, incumbents over newer more exciting talent. Only player I don't like the selection of is Fortuin. Don't think he is good enough at international level.
For some calls but not for others. They picked rickelton above rvd for instance.