• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
T20 cricket is where wristspinners thrive, we saw that first hand with Imran Tahir,
Tabraiz Shamsi has had decent success even unheralded Eddie Leie didn't do much wrong in a Proteas shirt, so why aren't we actively trying to create a depth of wristspinning options for the national team ? That's been the disappointing part ..
Thomas Kaber had a very good SA T20 , Junaid Dawood , Caleb Seleka just get them some experience these guys will always be in the game in T20

SeamUp

International Coach
T20 cricket is where wristspinners thrive, we saw that first hand with Imran Tahir,
Tabraiz Shamsi has had decent success even unheralded Eddie Leie didn't do much wrong in a Proteas shirt, so why aren't we actively trying to create a depth of wristspinning options for the national team ? That's been the disappointing part ..
Thomas Kaber had a very good SA T20 , Junaid Dawood , Caleb Seleka just get them some experience these guys will always be in the game in T20
It does look like those 3 + Nqaba Peter. Not sure if it's a case of opportunity, trust or finger spinners they competing with are more reliable.

Hopefully we see a bit more of Seleka and Peter in next year's SA20 & Kaber gets a move to Div 1.

SeamUp

International Coach
Haven't trusted selected panels for ages in SA. They all have to be swayed by politics at some point. I guess Enoch Nkwe is controlling quite a bit as director of cricket along with coaches Conrad and Walter. Would rather just keep it as is.

Conrad getting quite a bit of flak for his left field choices and that he has the power for selection as coach. For me, that is exactly how it should be. Then you chat to a few trusty people you chose too. You and your job then gets evaluated accordingly.

Screenshot_2024-04-12-10-12-52-58_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
2027 CWC venues announced.

Wanderers
Newlands
Kingsmead
SuperSport Park
St George's
Mangaung Oval
Boland Park
Buffalo Park

So nothing for JB Marks Oval which is surprising as well as Willowmoore Park, Diamond Oval and Pietermaritzburg Oval.

Back to 14 teams and Zimbabwe and Namibia are also getting games.
Potch!

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Odds of Maphaka getting a senior cap before the end of the year?

And someone on Twitter shared this as a potential T20 WC squad, it's not too bad but might fall short of non-cricket requirements.

1 QdK
2 Reeza
3 Markram
4 Klaasen
5 Miller
6 Stubbs
7 Jansen
8 Kesh
9 KG
10 Burger
11 Baartman
12 Rickelton
13 Shamsi
14 Coetzee
15 Nortje/Ngidi
Why is Reeza needed?

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Haven't trusted selected panels for ages in SA. They all have to be swayed by politics at some point. I guess Enoch Nkwe is controlling quite a bit as director of cricket along with coaches Conrad and Walter. Would rather just keep it as is.

Conrad getting quite a bit of flak for his left field choices and that he has the power for selection as coach. For me, that is exactly how it should be. Then you chat to a few trusty people you chose too. You and your job then gets evaluated accordingly.

View attachment 39924
Shukri Conrad like you said has made some selection choices that have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way..

The decision to axe Kyle Verreynne for the West Indies test series last year and give full backing to Heinrich Klaasen who wasn't planning on playing red ball cricket for long.

Forcing Dean Elgar to retire from Test cricket.
Ryan Rickelton being ignored for selection..
Selecting some of his buddies for the NZ tour and not being able to get anyone with some pace for that tour ,continued the practice of having test all rounders in and out the side ie. Mulder , Muthusamy...

He's had positives ..Getting Bedingham in the side, Coetzee and Burger test debuts , getting Markram the confidence to open again..
Maybe too much talking points for the CSA's liking.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks like Jean Du Plessis will be signing for the Warriors. As ever I'm not sure what the consequences are for him or even Rudi Second, JP King and George van Heerden in terms of regular game time.

Duanne Olivier and Malusi Siboto look like heading back to Bloemfontein where they started their careers. Obviously they need to improve their attack which is the hardest part for Div2 promoted teams along with versatile batsmen across formats.

SeamUp

International Coach
Nqaba Peter really putting his name down as the wrist spinner that hopefully pushes Shamsi.

Going by this tournament which is obviously weaker and more watered down than SA20 but you have to start somewhere to go to the next level.

He looks like a bit of Anil Kumble in style.

SeamUp

International Coach
Also got to see a bit more of Gideon Peters. Cleaned up for Border in Div 2 and got his Div 1 chance with NW now. Got decent returns in the 4-day stuff.

Whilst he went for runs yesterday, there looks like quite a bit to work with. Great lines in his action. Strong but easy moving and has good pace. Skiddy. If he can work with some good people he can push on nicely.

SeamUp

International Coach
CSA T20 Challenge

Batting first

Always got to be mindful of where the team play the majority of their games. Sure, it is wearing pitches country wide which has not been great for T20 but the coastal venues like Paarl, PE, Durban and CT , IT will be even tougher to hit the spinners no doubt.

I know I keep saying it but Rickelton, Breetzke and J Hermann are our best batsman behind the known guys now. They have that base. Just about mentality. Although I do wonder if Rickelton has the technique for international cricket.

Bold are SA 20 contracts

Rivaldo Moonsamy 376 @ 34.18 @ 145.2
Rubin Hermann 374 @ 41.55 @ 149.6
Matt Breetzke 361 @ 40.11 @ 133.2
Ryan Rickelton 326 @ 46.57 @ 146.2
Sibz Makhanya 314 @ 31.40 @ 134.2
Bryce Parsons 284 @ 47.33 @ 151.1
Reeza Hendricks 275 @ 34.37 @ 142.5

Eddie Moore 269 @ 29.88 @ 124.0
Raynard v Tonder 265 @ 33.12 @ 119.4
Jiveshan Pillay 258 @ 23.45 @ 122.9
Jordan Hermann 247 @ 30.87 @ 113.3
Marques Ackerman 215 @ 71.66 @ 143.3
Kyle Verreynne 210 @ 21.00 @ 114.1

Other interesting ones with SA20 contracts
Lhuandre Pretorius 190 @ 21.11 @ 115.9
Grant Roelofsen 183 @ 18.30 @ 117.3
Keith Dudgeon 180 @ 25.71 @ 140.6
Rassie vd Dussen 178 @ 29.66 @ 136.9
Wiaan Mulder 161 @ 32.20 @ 135.3
Tony de Zorzi 157 @ 17.44 @ 128.7
Jason Smith 150 @ 25.00 @ 115.4
Wihan Lubbe 148 @ 16.44 @ 135.7
JJ Smuts 145 @ 20.71 @ 111.5
George Linde 137 @ 15.22 @ 111.4
Temba Bavuma 123 @ 30.75 @ 121.8
Patrick Kruger 123 @ 24.6 @ 157.7
Sen Muthusamy 120 @ 20.0 @ 116.5
Beyers Swanepoel 103 @ 25.75 @ 166.1
Evan Jones 87 @ 43.50 @ 150.0
Dayyaan Galiem 85 @ 12.14 @ 149.1
Mitch van Buuren 83 @ 20.75 @ 123.9
Eathan Bosch 80 @ 80.0 @ 170.2
Andile Phehlukwayo 73 @ 12.16 @ 104.3
Delano Potgieter 63 @ 0.00 @ 225.0

Interesting ones with no SA 20 contract
Jono Bird 180 @ 25.71 @ 137.4
Neil Brand 169 @ 42.25 @ 136.3
David Bedingham 136 @ 22.66 @ 146.2
Sine Qeshile 135 @ 33.75 @ 137.8

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
It's currently the Club Champs on the go. 4 of the 6 teams at the final are Universities that play in their provinces 1A league in Tuks (Pretoria), Maties (Boland), Pukke (NW) & Kovsies (FS). Only Bohemians (East London) & Crusaders (Durban) are not universities. Kind of shows the landscape of club cricket now in SA. Cape Town and Joburg like Durban probably more old school in their club systems still with universities not the powerhouses but CT and Joburg lost their play-off finals to be there.

Merrick Brett and Matthew Boast playing for Tuks makes them pretty unbeatable as they 2 of the best young seamers/all-rounders in SA at the moment.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks like Jean Du Plessis will be signing for the Warriors. As ever I'm not sure what the consequences are for him or even Rudi Second, JP King and George van Heerden in terms of regular game time.

Duanne Olivier and Malusi Siboto look like heading back to Bloemfontein where they started their careers. Obviously they need to improve their attack which is the hardest part for Div2 promoted teams along with versatile batsmen across formats.
Sorry, got it wrong. But it looks like Siboto might be retiring.

The other interesting one is the Malan brothers might be leaving Boland. Early talk is Free State.

Boland CEO says they hurt to be labelled the dad's army lol so also looking to refresh their squad.

Dolphins CEO says they are pretty much sorted. Same squad. Just adding SAU19 players Tristan Luus and Romashan Pillay as rookies.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Also got to see a bit more of Gideon Peters. Cleaned up for Border in Div 2 and got his Div 1 chance with NW now. Got decent returns in the 4-day stuff.

Whilst he went for runs yesterday, there looks like quite a bit to work with. Great lines in his action. Strong but easy moving and has good pace. Skiddy. If he can work with some good people he can push on nicely.
This is one of the players that should have gone to NZ if Conrad did his job properly..

SeamUp

International Coach
This is one of the players that should have gone to NZ if Conrad did his job properly..
Looking back I agree. But you can understand why they took Olivier with the lack of experience in the squad. A big problem exists now in that a lot of teams cover up their target requirements in their bowling so it's tough for 2 white bowlers to play in the same team and obviously Gideon Peters was still a massive unknown quantity being behind Migael Pretorius and even Duan Jansen (in the 50-over stuff).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Looking back I agree. But you can understand why they took Olivier with the lack of experience in the squad. A big problem exists now in that a lot of teams cover up their target requirements in their bowling so it's tough for 2 white bowlers to play in the same team and obviously Gideon Peters was still a massive unknown quantity being behind Migael Pretorius and even Duan Jansen (in the 50-over stuff).
The problem here is that we don't have enough quality batsmen of colour. And that is going to continue being an issue until CSA deals with the training structures at lower levels and also clubs and varsities truly embrace what is needed. And make a conscious effort to fix the issue. The fact we are 25+ years down the line and it's still not resolved is a dismal failure on the entire cricket community.

SeamUp

International Coach
The problem here is that we don't have enough quality batsmen of colour. And that is going to continue being an issue until CSA deals with the training structures at lower levels and also clubs and varsities truly embrace what is needed. And make a conscious effort to fix the issue. The fact we are 25+ years down the line and it's still not resolved is a dismal failure on the entire cricket community.
Absolutely. I honestly think the cricketing people (particularly the older generation for each time once they stopped playing could have been used more than they were). But they were made to feel unwanted. A lot of our young cricketers coming in from the 50s to early 00s were getting professionals from England to be the school coaches and that has stopped now too.

I put up a few stats a few months ago on twitter and which provinces have produced our test hundred makers (and how much) since re-admission and I got contacted by Andrew Breetzke (who represents the SA players at SACA I think) saying what great stats and it is a big point of discussion and that he may use them the next time they have a meeting. It was just simple stats but it also showed how the major cities are producing our main batsman now. Obviously things were even more re-fined in the 50s/60s and before. Only when WP got serious in the 70s with Lamb/P Kirsten they were producing quality batsman. But here is an interesting question. Why were white farming families in Grahamstown, Queenstown and King Williams Town producing batsman? Is that just up-bringing from father-to-son?

Another one is I chat with a guy who used to supply stats for the Knights and then the Dolphins, he chatted with a few people and even now the majority of the black batsman trying to make their way in the game are going to the cricketing traditional schools and the numbers aren't as high as they hoped to be and supposedly CSA really don't know why we still in the position we are in says it all for me.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely. I honestly think the cricketing people (particularly the older generation for each time once they stopped playing could have been used more than they were). But they were made to feel unwanted. A lot of our young cricketers coming in from the 50s to early 00s were getting professionals from England to be the school coaches and that has stopped now too.

I put up a few stats a few months ago on twitter and which provinces have produced our test hundred makers (and how much) since re-admission and I got contacted by Andrew Breetzke (who represents the SA players at SACA I think) saying what great stats and it is a big point of discussion and that he may use them the next time they have a meeting. It was just simple stats but it also showed how the major cities are producing our main batsman now. Obviously things were even more re-fined in the 50s/60s and before. Only when WP got serious in the 70s with Lamb/P Kirsten they were producing quality batsman. But here is an interesting question. Why were white farming families in Grahamstown, Queenstown and King Williams Town producing batsman? Is that just up-bringing from father-to-son?

Another one is I chat with a guy who used to supply stats for the Knights and then the Dolphins, he chatted with a few people and even now the majority of the black batsman trying to make their way in the game are going to the cricketing traditional schools and the numbers aren't as high as they hoped to be and supposedly CSA really don't know why we still in the position we are in says it all for me.
I think there has always been a family dynasty element in cricket (many sports really). And that has lots to do with having an uncle/father/family sportsperson to pass on technical 'know-how' at a young age, and possibly just simple things like proper equipment and time. And it definitely effects skills and technique of batsmen more than bowlers.

Ultimately you need to catch potentially skilled batsmen at a young age, and help develop them. Firstly, that requires that the kids have the opportunity to play (facilities, equipment etc), and then CSA and the community must actively and consistently scouting those kids play, (not occasionally, not once a year at some bakers cricket setup). Then there is a plan in place to take those kids and find them mentors and get them to play each other, and provide further opportunities to hone those skills.

It is easier to do this in bigger cities because of logistics. Regardless, it will be a hugely expensive and time consuming outlay initially, and this is why I talk about cricketing communities being part of this. Volunteers who set this up at a local level for everyone, and not just their immediate family/community but open it up to include more people from surrounding areas.

As you said, many were made to feel unwelcome by CSA and the new political structures. But that was true both ways in different manners. However we may or may not like admitting it to ourselves, SA is made up of lots of small communities protecting themselves and insulating themselves. Understandable, but looking after their own interests first. But that just results in fewer opportunities for all and less passing on of knowledge openly in places that need it. So the whole solution is multi level. Both changing peoples attitudes and minds on how to approach the problem, but also creating and funding a big lower level infrastructure to look after and nurture the talent. And I just don't see that happening with the current attitude at any level.

It would be absolutely brilliant to have the equivalent of a black G. Pollock, or Lara, an ATG black black batsman come along and provide inspiration to a whole new generation, and get this sort of system started because people want to be part of the hype. I don't see it happening any other way.