• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Stefan9

International Debutant
Madness! wp must either be bankrupt or think their current squad is amazing, every team has bought 3- 5 players except us.
Didn't WP require CSA to bail them out a short while ago? Likely can't afford to recruit. Titans are in a strong financial position compared to the rest.

SeamUp

International Coach
Read a report on the situation. They struggling to appoint a CEO still. They just happy they haven't lost any players apart from Gavin Kaplan to Boland according to the president. He says agents can be tough to deal with. No new signings. All internal development.

And TBF to Salieg Nackerdien, the coach, they won the 50-over comp & were in a very good position to win the FC final. And when players went to Proteas or injured they went to the club system or colts for local players.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
Read a report on the situation. They struggling to appoint a CEO still. They just happy they haven't lost any players apart from Gavin Kaplan to Boland according to the president. He says agents can be tough to deal with. No new signings. All internal development.

And TBF to Salieg Nackerdien, the coach, they won the 50-over comp & were in a very good position to win the FC final. And when players went to Proteas or injured they went to the club system or colts for local players.
The previous CEO didn't even attend the bailout meeting. They wanted to appointment Heirnich Strydom but Dolphins made him an offer he couldn't refuse to stay.

I agree Salieg Nackerdien did really well with the resources he had. However, looking around at what's happening for the upcoming season, I do think they are going to have to do very well to perform well again this season.

SeamUp

International Coach
The previous CEO didn't even attend the bailout meeting. They wanted to appointment Heirnich Strydom but Dolphins made him an offer he couldn't refuse to stay.

I agree Salieg Nackerdien did really well with the resources he had. However, looking around at what's happening for the upcoming season, I do think they are going to have to do very well to perform well again this season.
You probably right. I do have concerns, particularly with the age of the seam-bowlers and lack of dynamic batsman. The constraints often lead to to unbalanced sides, particularly in the T20 comp. Linde and Simmonds batting at 5/6 etc Fingers crossed but it does look a big 5/3 split with Boland, NW, Free State fighting it out for relegation.

Just hoping Bird, Smith, Mpongwana, James and Bedja keep kicking on. Kaplan and Bedja showed the club system can produce with a 100 and a 5-for in the 4-day stuff.

Pity we let Meeka-eel Prince go to NW and another who could have been handy is Michael Levitt who is smashing it for Netherlands.

5 HP Contracts for next season probably come from:

Abdallah Bayoumy 20 Primrose CC [Powerful hitting seamer AR who played last-season but still to show he can do it]
Liyema Waqu 20 UWC [Left-arm quick]
Christiaan Oberholzer 22 Cape Town CC [batsman]
Kai Curran 22 UWC [The Curran's cousin; batsman]
Matthew de Villiers 24 Claremont CC [batsman & done well for a few years now]
Fayyaad Davids 19 Primrose CC [right-arm quick, lower-order bat]
Oliver Whitehead 19 Western Province CC [Middle-order bat/seamer]
Bongile Mfunelwa 20 UWC [wk bat]

SA U19 mix players
Raeeq Daniels 18 Rondebosch Boys/Club? [right-arm quick, lower-order bat]
Beni Hansen 18 Wynberg Boys/Claremont CC [batsman/wk]
Paul James 17 Wynberg Boys/Primrose CC [Juan's brother; looks a very very good bat]

Last edited:

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
y
Didn't WP require CSA to bail them out a short while ago? Likely can't afford to recruit. Titans are in a strong financial position compared to the rest.
yeah so i read, but natal,lions,titans even dolphins and warriors seem stacked. I mean stormers were in administration they still managed to recruit a bit before new owners.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant

True but they really have almost zero t20 batsmen and alrounders, was there no club players capable of smashing it or loanies?

Stefan9

International Debutant
y

yeah so i read, but natal,lions,titans even dolphins and warriors seem stacked. I mean stormers were in administration they still managed to recruit a bit before new owners.
Titans and lions are sound financially so in a position to recruit, lions also have the lure of working with Domingo, Donald & amla. Unsure about the other 2 . Stormers managed to recruit because sponsors were paying those players wages.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
You probably right. I do have concerns, particularly with the age of the seam-bowlers and lack of dynamic batsman. The constraints often lead to to unbalanced sides, particularly in the T20 comp. Linde and Simmonds batting at 5/6 etc Fingers crossed but it does look a big 5/3 split with Boland, NW, Free State fighting it out for relegation.

Just hoping Bird, Smith, Mpongwana, James and Bedja keep kicking on. Kaplan and Bedja showed the club system can produce with a 100 and a 5-for in the 4-day stuff.

Pity we let Meeka-eel Prince go to NW and another who could have been handy is Michael Levitt who is smashing it for Netherlands.

5 HP Contracts for next season probably come from:

Abdallah Bayoumy 20 Primrose CC [Powerful hitting seamer AR who played last-season but still to show he can do it]
Liyema Waqu 20 UWC [Left-arm quick]
Christiaan Oberholzer 22 Cape Town CC [batsman]
Kai Curran 22 UWC [The Curran's cousin; batsman]
Matthew de Villiers 24 Claremont CC [batsman & done well for a few years now]
Fayyaad Davids 19 Primrose CC [right-arm quick, lower-order bat]
Oliver Whitehead 19 Western Province CC [Middle-order bat/seamer]
Bongile Mfunelwa 20 UWC [wk bat]

SA U19 mix players
Raeeq Daniels 18 Rondebosch Boys/Club? [right-arm quick, lower-order bat]
Beni Hansen 18 Wynberg Boys/Claremont CC [batsman/wk]
Paul James 17 Wynberg Boys/Primrose CC [Juan's brother; looks a very very good bat]
In terms of youngsters Juan James, SAu19 captain has also played a few games and will be in the mix again. Personally I don't mind Linde batting at 5/6. Not at his best this season but think his really underrated.
In total, I feel just one slightly big name signing would have been a welcome boost. Most likely a middle order batsman.