• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't argue with too many of those, though I can't see a spot for Bond.

Two notable absentees from your list are AB and the bloke to your left, both of whom are absolute shoo-ins.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I doubt it, Vettori has been good against Australia, but nothing amazing. Also, Fleming is easily the best and toughest opposition that Australia have faced in recent years, I don't think that Vettori would out rank Fleming.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well seeing that this top 50 has already had a few double ups, wouldn't be surprised to see a total of 65+.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can't argue with too many of those, though I can't see a spot for Bond.

Two notable absentees from your list are AB and the bloke to your left, both of whom are absolute shoo-ins.
Ah yes, thanks for that. So that makes around 16 certainties. Perhaps Inzamam too ? TBH, Steve Waugh being placed so low makes it very tough to consider a lot of his contemporaries for the top 20 now.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well seeing that this top 50 has already had a few double ups, wouldn't be surprised to see a total of 65+.
From the man himself...

"Sorry if I’ve thrown a few of you off track, but I forgot to mention on Monday when I introduced the series that I have three tied positions. Playing to my own rules, I can do that. But I will also guarantee that, from tomorrow, there will be no more curve balls. Twenty –– and only 20 –– names remain. So keep going with those guesses . . . and prepare for a few more surprises."

Athlai

Not Terrible
I doubt it, Vettori has been good against Australia, but nothing amazing. Also, Fleming is easily the best and toughest opposition that Australia have faced in recent years, I don't think that Vettori would out rank Fleming.
I just feel Warne would mention the greater part of the best remaining spinners in the world, but I spose as this is just in test cricket Vettori may get passed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ah yes, thanks for that. So that makes around 16 certainties. Perhaps Inzamam too ? TBH, Steve Waugh being placed so low makes it very tough to consider a lot of his contemporaries for the top 20 now.
I wouldn't be surprised if Inzy doesn't get a mention, because of his not-so-great record against Australia. Who knows though?!

I wouldn't expect to see Ganguly there for similar reasons, or Harbhajan because he has played Australia a few times since and hasn't been as successful.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
And theres also Viv, Imran and Botham. I don't know if Warne played them though (I assume Kapil wouldn't have made it if Warne hadn't played against him).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Botham in particular is an all-time hero of Warne's but he didn't actually play against any of those three so I can't see them being included.

howardj

International Coach
Ooooooooh, spiteful!!

Must applaud Warne for his honesty and the clarity of his thinking though, not giving a toss for the respected or establish greats he's just saying what he believes.
Yeah, I sort of read it another way - that Warne is a bit of a resentful person. I always like to apply the 'but for' test. But for Waugh getting the captaincy in front of him and also axing him in the Carribean, would Warne think so lowly of him?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought his beginning might have been just enough to coincide with their end.
Botham and Imran both played in the '92 World Cup which was just after Warney's international debut so they were "active" for a few months at the same time, but their paths never crossed on a cricket field so I don't think he'll consider them.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Shoasib above waqar? Hmmm...and for someone so forthright I'm amazed he's been unable to split Shoaib and Mcdermott and Pollock and Kallis. Fleming must be in for his captaincy rather than his 25 average v Australia and I really don't think he should be bearing grudges. If he's put Steve Waugh so low down for dropping him in 1999 it should be said he had two wickets in the first three Tests in that series (one a wicket keeper batsman, the other CA Walsh). Forgetting for a minute that it was Warne, people might say a bowler with that record deserved to be dropped.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
anyone reckon hes gonna put murali as his no.1? i somehow doubt it
No. Btw, I'd be uinterested to see how many of us think he will put an Aussie at No 1 (Ponting, McGrath?) and how many think a non Aussie (Sachin, Lara?) I think Punter or McGrath myself...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm expecting a bit of a cop-out with regards to Tendulkar and Lara. Maybe call them joint 4th and 5th, he couldn't split them so they share the two spots.