• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

biased indian

International Coach
i think Warne is doing it based on his career.....so Aussie will get more importance than others and english over others..... since he has played the most aganist england.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Just like to throw a 8-) at everybody who thinks that just because Warne has Harmison above Waqar that he thinks Harmison is a better bowler (to use one example) FFS actually take some time to think for yourselves and try to understand Warne's reasoning and the influence of how much his career had on his decisions. It's not hard people, honestly.
Yeah, still doesn't make his list anything but poppycock though.

biased indian

International Coach
20 remaining

These 12 will most probably be in his list

Dravid,Sachin lara,McGrath,Hayden,GilChrist,M Waugh,Murali,vettori,Inzamam,kumble,ponting

Any chance of ganguly featuring in the List now,who could be the other 8 ????
Vass ???

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
20 remaining

Dravid,Sachin lara,McGrath,Hayden,GilChrist,M Waugh,Murali,vettori,Inzamam,kumble,ponting

Vass ???
Merv Hughes, Andrew Flintoff, Curtly Ambrose, Ian Healy, Aravinda De Silva, Wasim Akram, Allan Border and maybe Mushtaq Ahmed for his county performances.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, still doesn't make his list anything but poppycock though.
It's only a matter of opinion though, and obviously influenced by those who performed admirably against or for Australia. Warne isn't the kind of person to make a simple and straightforward list with the usual suspects, and he does have some decent reasons behind his choices.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
20 remaining

Vass ???
I'm going for a bit of a bolter here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see M Clarke on there.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting comments re Tugga, but not overly surprising given one or two of the comments I've seen Warney make over the years - he doesn't think nearly as highly of Steve Waugh as the rest of Australia (except Ian Chappell obviously, who positively loathes him).

No one's mentioned Tubby for the top 20, but I reckon he's a banker. Other than that, I think BiasedIndian and NUFAN have probably got most of the remaining 20 covered with their predictions. Another bolter or two wouldn't surprise me though.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Bolters...

...maybe Klusener, I can see the rest of the 20 being full of modern greats - Dravid, Pollock, Tendulkar, Taylor, Hayden, Gilchrist, Lara, de Silva and co and then the rest of them being Australian players.

P.S. add Jack McNarmara to the list of bolters, would be appalled if he wasn't there featuring in the single digits.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting comments re Tugga, but not overly surprising given one or two of the comments I've seen Warney make over the years - he doesn't think nearly as highly of Steve Waugh as the rest of Australia (except Ian Chappell obviously, who positively loathes him).
And is it any coincidence that Warne and I Chappell are extremely close? No, I think.

Has never really been a great secret that Warne and S Waugh never quite saw eye2eye from the time Waugh took the captaincy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lehmann > Steve Waugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean, I loved Lehmann and I think that if he'd had a bit of good fortune as regards selection maybe he might have been right up there with the best Aussie batsmen in history, but it's still an ITSTL selection, though naturally nothing's been a great surprise since Waqar.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Its not a definitive list so there is no point in people getting upset about it. Its great to see what Warne thinks.

Just can't wait to see whos up the top.

:ph34r: Whats the bet its controversial?

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sachin, Dravid, Kumble, Murali, Lara, Laxman, Healy, Gilchrist, McGrath, M Waugh, Flintoff, Aravinda, Taylor, Ambrose to definitely make it.

Harbhajan (depending on how much Warne values the 2001 series), Walsh, Ganguly (if captaincy is a major factor in his decision making), Bond (well, Pietersen made it) in with a shout too I feel.