• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How Kyle Abbott walked away from South Africa | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
What scares me here, is he admits its not much more money than CSA pay him... quotas I`m sure are an issue, but I think this feels very much like not wanting to stay in SA long term due to the current uncertain political/economic climate.
And you really can't blame him. If he feels moving is the best and safest option for him and his family (if he has one) then you'd have to be pretty cold to have a go at him for it.

Marius

International Debutant
Well it's probably just a matter of opinion but I don't think the minor juggling of line ups is that ridiculous compared with the fact that Ntini is the only notable black player to represent South Africa to date. It's ridiculous that nearly a generation later there are still massive hangovers from the days of apartheid and a lot of apathy towards fixing them.
How would quotas have led to South Africa producing more regular black Test cricketers? Ntini was a regular in the side not because of quotas, but because he was a very good fast bowler. When he was picked he was a bit of a quota pick but he stayed in the side and took nearly 390 wickets because he was good. We could have a quota for 10 black players in the XI, doesn't mean we'll get ten Ntinis.

And building facilities in rural and township areas etc. will spread the game, but it's not necessarily going to result in lots of black players coming through. Test cricketers (of all races) come from a handful of schools, and people like Steyn from Phalaborwa or Ntini for an Eastern Cape village, are the exception not the rule. You might get more people interested in the game, but you're not going to have a massive cohort of black cricketers.

Look at the two black guys currently in the national XI. They both went to private schools and come from middle class backgrounds (Bavuma's father is a journalist and Rabada's is a neurosurgeon) so neither would ever have had a problem accessing facilities (especially in democratic South Africa).

OverratedSanity

Russell Domingo fury as Rilee Rossouw gives up SA career for Kolpak deal with Hampshire | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Domingo's anger at Rossouw's departure was particularly palpable as he revisited the change of events. "I haven't heard from Rilee since we left Australia to be honest," he said. "Some of us have tried to get hold of him, and this is the truth, we got an email from him off his iPhone telling us he's signed Kolpak. He spelt my name wrong for starters. He wrote one L instead of two. That's where we are. I am bitterly disappointed in him. That's the bottom truth. He toured Australia as the back-up Test batsman. He was the next batsman in."
Lmao

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well call me old fashioned but playing for your country should be the highest honour. Couldn't watch that interview. Painful.

When South Africa are playing Lord's in the summer, in what I hope will be an excellent series, he will be playing to one man and his dog at the Rose Bowl.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Well call me old fashioned but playing for your country should be the highest honour. Couldn't watch that interview. Painful.

When South Africa are playing Lord's in the summer, in what I hope will be an excellent series, he will be playing to one man and his dog at the Rose Bowl.
Completely agree, anyone who understands the slightest thing about body language would have known how torn he was during that interview. If he hadn't made up his mind already I'm sure he would have serious second thoughts by now seeing how the past few months have gone.

Marius

International Debutant
Completely agree, anyone who understands the slightest thing about body language would have known how torn he was during that interview. If he hadn't made up his mind already I'm sure he would have serious second thoughts by now seeing how the past few months have gone.
I reckon if Hampshire approached him now, he'd tell them to get stuffed. But he signed the contract before Steyn's injury I think, so his immediate Proteas future didn't look particularly bright.

91Jmay

International Coach
Roussee is a piss weak bloke. Abbott I can understand as there are more limited places for bowlers, but Rossouw could easily have played 50+ more limited overs games for SA. Clearly has no stomach for the fight.

Hope we can get rid of this Kolpak nonsense soon enough, might be one of the only positives from Brexit.

TheJediBrah

Roussee is a piss weak bloke. Abbott I can understand as there are more limited places for bowlers, but Rossouw could easily have played 50+ more limited overs games for SA. Clearly has no stomach for the fight.

Hope we can get rid of this Kolpak nonsense soon enough, might be one of the only positives from Brexit.
Come on mate, you can't force players to stay in and play in a country they clearly don't want to anymore

These are professional cricketers, as in it is their profession. If you're offered a better job you take it.

Imagine you're working in an office that is dangerous and you have a boss that will fire you any minute and discriminate against you for factors you can't control, promote less-deserving individuals above you etc.

Marius

International Debutant
Come on mate, you can't force players to stay in and play in a country they clearly don't want to anymore

These are professional cricketers, as in it is their profession. If you're offered a better job you take it.

Imagine you're working in an office that is dangerous and you have a boss that will fire you any minute and discriminate against you for factors you can't control, promote less-deserving individuals above you etc.
But it's hardly like Rossouw had that experience. As Domingo rightly points out he was backed by the selectors even after he was collecting more ducks more than some deranged ornithologist. He was picked ahead of Amla for the ODIs and if not for injury, would have been in the squad for this series against Sri Lanka.

TheJediBrah

But it's hardly like Rossouw had that experience. As Domingo rightly points out he was backed by the selectors even after he was collecting more ducks more than some deranged ornithologist. He was picked ahead of Amla for the ODIs and if not for injury, would have been in the squad for this series against Sri Lanka.
I can only speak from assumptions, because I'm obviously not him, but I'm sure his decision was based on his future, not his past.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
One thing that confuses me about this whole situation is...where the **** do English counties get their money from? Whole competition is about as exciting as Coldplay.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing that confuses me about this whole situation is...where the **** do English counties get their money from? Whole competition is about as exciting as Coldplay.
I think a fair bit of the Sky revenue from internationals gets pumped into the counties.

Which is a perfectly good example of how profitable cricket can support the non profitable and keep the wheel turning.

flibbertyjibber

Hampshire have a ridiculously wealthy owner who bankrolls them. Not that he is very good at it as they rarely win anything.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bingo. A guaranteed income for that long is pretty important, and he thinks he can probably supplement the income with non-IPL T20 competitions here and there (Bangladesh, NZ, Aus) if he's fortunate.

For quicks that aren't in England, it can be a lot more unforgiving when you lose that bit of nip after finishing in Test cricket. He's playing in the competition where it's the most acceptable to be bowling at 85%.