• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Lets not get into a brexit debate here... but Britain are meant to instigate article 50 March this year (2017) meaning 2 years before exit from that point. But this does not necessarily impact kolpak as we have no idea what negotiations will lead to and what the British courts will decide to keep from the EU legal rules currently used.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Apparently both Dane Piedt and Dane Vilas want to go but they haven't got any takers yet. Piedt would be a good signing for most counties but I can't see much value in Vilas.
Vilas is a world class keeper, isn't he?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gotta wonder if Morne is/was considering getting on the train out of the jungle.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Yeah. Someone like Chris Morris will be less susceptible to a Kolpak deal cause he's coining it in the IPL.

Tony Irish was on the radio the other day and he said one way to keep youngsters in SA is to have a really sh*t hot T20 comp, which rivals the BBL.
Yeah Morris and Miller very unlikely to be tempted while making mega bucks in the IPL.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I still don't understand why a Kolpak player can't be picked for SA.. I read the Wiki page and it only talks about freedom of movement and right to work in the EU. Is it because Hampshire only offered him a more lucrative contract under the condition that he should not play for SA?
They can but it would invalidate their county contract. They basically have to sign a contract with the ecb to say they're retired from international cricket, or that they will commit themselves to English cricket. It doesn't mean much though, ECB can't stop them going back to SA. They tried with Rudolph I think but it wasn't enforceable. All they can do is cancel their contract if they do return to SA. That's how I understand it. I wouldn't be surprised if a Roussow or Ackermann or Vijoen return to SA at some point.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Just too finish off with.

"I personally felt over the last four years that I was never far away from being dropped" - Abbott

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They can but it would invalidate their county contract. They basically have to sign a contract with the ecb to say they're retired from international cricket, or that they will commit themselves to English cricket. ECB can't stop them going back to SA. That's how I understand it. I wouldn't be surprised if a Roussow or Ackermann or Vijoen return to SA at some point.
Ok. So basically Hampshire want to be assured that he won't be spending summers playing international cricket before they offer him megabucks.

Ugh, this is all such a cluster****. Now I can see why the IPL window isn't such a bad idea, even though I dislike franchise T20 cricket.

Marius

International Debutant
They can but it would invalidate their county contract. They basically have to sign a contract with the ecb to say they're retired from international cricket, or that they will commit themselves to English cricket. It doesn't mean much though, ECB can't stop them going back to SA. They tried with Rudolph I think but it wasn't enforceable. All they can do is cancel their contract if they do return to SA. That's how I understand it. I wouldn't be surprised if a Roussow or Ackermann or Vijoen return to SA at some point.
As I said earlier, I think Faf and Paul Harris were both on Kolpak contracts before they played for SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA/Zim connected players in County cricket

SOMERSET : Johann Myburgh , Roelof Vd Merwe, Tim Groenewald (Ed Byrom - Zimbabwe)
GLOUCS : Gareth Roderick, Graeme Van Buuren
GLAMORGAN : Jacques Rudolph, Colin Ingram, Chris Cooke, Craig Meschede
HAMPS : Rilee Rossouw, Kyle Abbott, Gareth Berg, Bradley Wheal (Sean Ervine - Zimbabwe)
KENT : Sean Dickson
SUSSEX : Stiaan Van Zyl, Vernon Philander
SURREY : Jason Roy, Jade Dernbach, Stuart Meaker, Mathew Pillans, Tom Curran, Conor McKerr (Sam Curran - Zimbabwe)
MIDDLESEX : Nick Compton, Dawid Malan, James Fuller (Ryan Higgins - Zimbabwe)
ESSEX : Ryan ten Doeschate, Simon Harmer, Neil Wagner

WORCS :
DERBYS : Wayne Madsen, Imran Tahir, Hardus Viljoen
LEICS : Colin Ackermann, Cameron Delport, Niel Dexter, Dieter Klein
NORTHANTS : Richard Levi, Rory Kleinveldt, Chad Barrett
NOTTS : Michael Lumb, Rikki Wessels (Brendan Taylor : Zimbabwe)
DURHAM : Michael Richardson, Keaton Jennings, Brydon Carse
LANCS : Ryan McLaren (Kyle Jarvis : Zimbabwe)
YORKS : (Gary Ballance : Zimbabwe)
WARKS : Jonathan Trott

Also coaching : Mark Davis (Sussex) & Pierre De Bruyn (Leics) + potenitally Allan Donald (Kent)
Klusener/Ntini , Ford and Arthur now internationally.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

They've signed long term deals to cover them when the Brexit loop hole will close (Kolpack contracts signed before Brexit will be honoured). Before the EU referendum, there was no fear that the Kolpack thing would be closed so players like Faf could sign short term year-by-year Kolpack deals and come and go as they please. That is now closing. So for Abbot it is about getting a whopping big four year deal in before Brexit.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aside from the sporting aspect, I cannot believe that the majority of South Africans are supporting absolute ***** like Zuma and his cronies.

Forget colour, he is nothing more than a criminal and a potentially great country deserves better

Marius

International Debutant
They've signed long term deals to cover them when the Brexit loop hole will close (Kolpack contracts signed before Brexit will be honoured). Before the EU referendum, there was no fear that the Kolpack thing would be closed so players like Faf could sign short term year-by-year Kolpack deals and come and go as they please. That is now closing. So for Abbot it is about getting a whopping big four year deal in before Brexit.
And worth the equivalent of nearly R10-million. If he manages his money well he could almost retire at the end of his contract.

Marius

International Debutant
Aside from the sporting aspect, I cannot believe that the majority of South Africans are supporting absolute ***** like Zuma and his cronies.

Forget colour, he is nothing more than a criminal and a potentially great country deserves better
Well, in the last election, the ANC's share of the vote was just above 50% and they lost three major cities (Joburg, Pretoria, and PE) to the opposition.

One good thing about Zuma is that the longer he's in charge, the sooner the ANC will no longer govern SA.

S.Kennedy

When Du Plessis was at Lancashire (2008 - 2009) it was before he was playing for South Africa.

I suppose if this referendum hadn't happened Abbot, etc. would have saw their international career through before ending their career in England (and the obligatory franchise tours if they desire). Even if they were dropped they could sign one year (essentially May - Sept) County contracts, and basically get out of the contract if their country comes calling again. But they can survive on short term Kolpack deals if the counties still want them.

They cannot do that now with the referendum so they have to jump through the loop hole before it is closed. Hence the longer contracts being offered here, to cover the eventuality of a Brexit. It has to be honoured.

Last edited:

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I don't think the system is that ridiculous. The quotas do distort team selection to a degree but I don't think there have been many outrageous situations or a noticeable decrease in the quality of the cricket as a result.

I think a lot of the 'ridiculousness' of the quota system is more based on fear-mongering and preconceived notions that more coloured players inherently means a lower quality if cricket. I think the situation is far less dire than its made out to be and will hopefully benefit South African cricket in the long run.
It is unbelievably ridiculous. How is it justifiable that a coach and captain have to basically juggle a team to bring in a white player to "balance the books".

Lets not fool eachother, the situation is critical, because it does not look like the "balancing" has reached its pinnacle yet.

Top down transformation does not work.

Tom Flint

International Regular
The reason abbott isnt garunteed a test spot is because he's only their fourth best seamer, not because of a qouta system. When one of steyn, philander or rabada is injured then he'll be straight in. Simple as that. He's gone for the money