• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

Gob

International Coach
But Lyon hasn't done enough to keep his spot. He bowls darts and can't tie down an end, he has worse stats than others who've been dropped before him. He can't field well or bat. Granted those last things Ahmed isn't strong on either, but there are other options.
It ain't easy being lyon .

**** post.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure multiple people will have already commented, but is Gary Ballance really going to be England's number 3?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of Ballance and Bell will definitely be dropped before the fourth test. Possibly by the third itself.

Flem274*

123/5
You can't drop Ballance based on him hypothetically failing, but you can put him at #5 and bump Bell and Root up one.

I'd keep the same team. Apart from KP and James Taylor (from players I've seen) this is the best England have. Maybe Rashid has a case to be part of a five man attack.

Pothas

Ballance can look terrible for sure but there really is no case for dropping him, Taylor has not really pressed his case in the last couple of years. I don't know if we would even be able to pick him, or if he would accept, but if we do need someone mid series then Ed Joyce might well be the best option. Picking old guys has worked for Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ballance can look terrible for sure but there really is no case for dropping him, Taylor has not really pressed his case in the last couple of years. I don't know if we would even be able to pick him, or if he would accept, but if we do need someone mid series then Ed Joyce might well be the best option. Picking old guys has worked for Australia.
He's not eligible anymore is he?

Edit - actually the eligibility rules only work one way round don't they? Farcical, but. Always thought it was a shame he never got a go in Tests back in the day tbh.

Last edited:

Pothas

No idea. I know he had to wait until he played for Ireland again. Maybe you are not allowed to swap back again?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No I think you're right. Because when he first qualified (and Morgan) there was no waiting period

Shady Slim

International Coach
Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Harris
Johnson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Starc standby for the eventual breaking of Harris, but look at that deep batting order

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Not a huge fan of Smith at #3. Just doesn't feel right even with his massively improved judgement.

Not that there is anyone better unfortunately. What is Vogels Bread like as a batsman? I'm fine with newbies at #3 if they're very experienced FC cricketers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah even in domestic cricket Voges bats 4. Has even spent a lot of time at 5 in the past. Pure middle order.

Flem274*

123/5
Bugger. I suppose there is always the sacrificial lamb in Twatto...but I'd rather have Mitch Marsh in my team.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I think Smith has earned a shot at 3. There just needs to be some patience while he adapts. The only difficult thing will be in deciding how long to continue if it isn't working. Hard to say X tests. Just have to see if he is handling the moving ball and the different match situations. I think he's the best option if he can handle it.

Last edited: