• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid

haroon510

International 12th Man
My take on dravid and Kallis is knowing that they are both strugling with their forms recently.. i just think the time for batsman like dravid and kallis has passed.. they should call it a quit and move on.. cricket is much faster and doesn't suit their style anymore..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are aware that those two were two of the most successful in the post-September-2001 time, which is when scoring became much heavier and faster?

krkode

State Captain
My take on dravid and Kallis is knowing that they are both strugling with their forms recently.. i just think the time for batsman like dravid and kallis has passed.. they should call it a quit and move on.. cricket is much faster and doesn't suit their style anymore..
Thing is no matter how fast the over all scoring situation becomes, there will always be room for players like Dravid who often plays the supporting role to the big so-called "modern" innings. There could not have been a 281 by VVS Laxman without Dravid, for example. Nor so many other innings that Dravid supported with players like Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, etc. at the other end. You can't make a team out of 6 Sehwags. There has to be a balance of talent, temperament and style.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, maybe that's why Shiv Chanderpaul hardly scores any runs anymore.

haroon510

International 12th Man
You are aware that those two were two of the most successful in the post-September-2001 time, which is when scoring became much heavier and faster?
i would like to see their strike rate during this era.. if you could provide that cuz i am really really interested to know..

Thing is no matter how fast the over all scoring situation becomes, there will always be room for players like Dravid who often plays the supporting role to the big so-called "modern" innings. There could not have been a 281 by VVS Laxman without Dravid, for example. Nor so many other innings that Dravid supported with players like Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, etc. at the other end. You can't make a team out of 6 Sehwags. There has to be a balance of talent, temperament and style.
off course not but there should be someone in middle.. someone like yousuf, pointing, Laxman and afew others who could defind and play aggrassive as well.. which i think kallis and Dravid lacks that ability..

Yeah, maybe that's why Shiv Chanderpaul hardly scores any runs anymore.
i racken that Chanderpaul is different than them.. chanderpaul has a present which means if it is needed he can score fast and win matches for you.. i remember one of the matchs of west Indies vs Sri Lanka recently.. where 10 runs were needed from two balls.. chanerpaul was the man to finish the match.. and if it was Dravid or kallis the story might have been different..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
i would like to see their strike rate during this era.. if you could provide that cuz i am really really interested to know..
Dravid's (I'd finish the period at 2006 as it's pretty obvious he's declined considerably immediately after that) was 42.58, Kallis' up to the end of the England Test series was 47.65.

To compare to the others who've made massive runs starting from the exact same time, Ponting's is 71.54, Lara's 59.71, Chanderpaul's 44.74, Hayden's (up to the end of 2007/08 as he's barely scored a run since then) 59.79, and Sehwag's 79.02.

Aggression is not essential. All you need is the ability to bash weak bowling on flat pitches (though that's not to say that ALL the above were ONLY capable of doing that, just that they all were capable of and did do such a thing to a very considerable extent in the time in question).

haroon510

International 12th Man
Dravid's (I'd finish the period at 2006 as it's pretty obvious he's declined considerably immediately after that) was 42.58, Kallis' up to the end of the England Test series was 47.65.

To compare to the others who've made massive runs starting from the exact same time, Ponting's is 71.54, Lara's 59.71, Chanderpaul's 44.74, Hayden's (up to the end of 2007/08 as he's barely scored a run since then) 59.79, and Sehwag's 79.02.

Aggression is not essential. All you need is the ability to bash weak bowling on flat pitches (though that's not to say that ALL the above were ONLY capable of doing that, just that they all were capable of and did do such a thing to a very considerable extent in the time in question).
but it does prove my point that they are the slowest one and has done less than those players you name above in turning cricket in to fast pace game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So? That doesn't mean that you can't be successful by being slow, not at all.

Cricket has become faster because of the more middling players. The very most successful are still fairly evenly split between fast-ish and slow-ish.

haroon510

International 12th Man
So? That doesn't mean that you can't be successful by being slow, not at all.

Cricket has become faster because of the more middling players. The very most successful are still fairly evenly split between fast-ish and slow-ish.
success depends at different levels.. maybe in test matches they are successful.. but they are never considered in Twenty20 game and even ODI lately.. India leaving dravid out of ODI team recently is an example of that.

Evermind

International Debutant
From where i look at things Dravid is still one of the best test match batsmen India has ever produced, he has had a glorious career and tbh through the length of his career once he cemented his place in the test side he never had much of slump in form ever, and this run of poor scores hence is really pretty much unlike Rahul Dravid, even in his worst state one would expect Dravid to grit it out and score some tough runs even if that meant he needed to play an ugly knock, but that doesn't seem to be happening he seems to getting out in the same way everytime, therefore one can't help get a feeling that the same determination, perfection and hunger for runs that one had come to expect from Dravid is no longer there, and if that's the case Dravid should call it quits ASAP rather than just dragging this on, but if he still feels he can play well and match his own set of high standards, then he should keep on going because despite his age and current form Dravid is one player India can always count on in even the direst of situations, now how long it takes for him to fix his game is another matter, because the time is running out for him, every failure is probably leading towards him being axed from the side and i would hate to see such a great servant of Indian and world cricket being pushed on his out.
Can't you just use the full stop? How hard is that? The above is unreadable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
success depends at different levels.. maybe in test matches they are successful.. but they are never considered in Twenty20 game and even ODI lately.. India leaving dravid out of ODI team recently is an example of that.
India left Dravid - along with Ganguly - out of the ODI side because of reduced performance (in terms of weight rather than pace of scoring) as well as age.

And personally, well, if a batsman is a good Test batsman I couldn't give two hoots about how good he is at Twenty20. Nor would quite a few batsmen, but for the fact that, sadly, Twenty20 success is very important financially at the current time.

haroon510

International 12th Man
India left Dravid - along with Ganguly - out of the ODI side because of reduced performance (in terms of weight rather than pace of scoring) as well as age.

And personally, well, if a batsman is a good Test batsman I couldn't give two hoots about how good he is at Twenty20. Nor would quite a few batsmen, but for the fact that, sadly, Twenty20 success is very important financially at the current time.
but why they kept Sachin there.. same age but very very different player.. and if dravid was as good as sachin and as aggrassive do you think he would be left out? i dont think so..
i am giving him cridet for the success in test level but i don't think he is my favorite to watch. i much rather go with someone else than him in any level of cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
but why they kept Sachin there.. same age but very very different player.. and if dravid was as good as sachin and as aggrassive do you think he would be left out? i dont think so..
Because Tendulkar is better (not just more of a strokeplayer - better) and has a genuine chance of still being around in 2011. That and Tendulkar is a legend and his leaving-out would provoke quite some uproar, justifiably given that he seems keen on giving 2011 a crack and his form has still held-up quite well enough so far for him to be allowed the chance to try.

Dravid and Ganguly's, on the other hand, wasn't holding-up, and they made no secret of the fact they knew their chances of 2011 were remote to zero.
i am giving him cridet for the success in test level but i don't think he is my favorite to watch. i much rather go with someone else than him in any level of cricket.
Yes, we realise that but I think everyone'd appreciate it if you didn't try to jump in and criticise Dravid (and Kallis) for non-existant faults and suggest that the game is moving away from batsmen of their type. Because it just isn't true.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Third-fastest, IIRR. He also has a 150-odd* off about 450 balls or something.

Chanderpaul is capable of obscenely fast and obscenely slow. Fast beyond what almost anyone else could achieve, and slow beyond what almost anyone else could.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Because Tendulkar is better (not just more of a strokeplayer - better) and has a genuine chance of still being around in 2011. That and Tendulkar is a legend and his leaving-out would provoke quite some uproar, justifiably given that he seems keen on giving 2011 a crack and his form has still held-up quite well enough so far for him to be allowed the chance to try.

Dravid and Ganguly's, on the other hand, wasn't holding-up, and they made no secret of the fact they knew their chances of 2011 were remote to zero.

Yes, we realise that but I think everyone'd appreciate it if you didn't try to jump in and criticise Dravid (and Kallis) for non-existant faults and suggest that the game is moving away from batsmen of their type. Because it just isn't true.
i agree on what u said about Sachin but i still dissagree and think that the game is moving away from Dravid and kallis.. i mean in today's cricket we don't see that many cricketers making 50 in over 200 deliveries.. that won't be right but let say with strike rate of 30.

infact, i think the reason they (dravid/ Kallis) are doing bad lately because they are realizing this and that brings significant pressure when they play..

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dravid's done poorly for the last 2 years because his powers have declined. Kallis has had a bad 4-5 games because he does that from time to time - has done all career.

You really are reading a bit too much into a few too many things.

It's been quite a long time since you've regularly seen batsmen making 50 off 200 deliveries. I have absolutely no memory of such a time. Bowling isn't accurate enough currently and flat pitches have helped batsmen take advantage of that.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Dravid's done poorly for the last 2 years because his powers have declined. Kallis has had a bad 4-5 games because he does that from time to time - has done all career.

You really are reading a bit too much into a few too many things.

It's been quite a long time since you've regularly seen batsmen making 50 off 200 deliveries. I have absolutely no memory of such a time. Bowling isn't accurate enough currently and flat pitches have helped batsmen take advantage of that.
Again Dravid isn't a hard hitter he is a good timer of the ball.. so i don't agree with that..

let me ask you this.. since u watched the game.. do you think it is English bowlers or the Pitch that caused him to make runs in such a low strike rate..