• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He is past it, because out of form doesnt last two years, and you don't average in the mid 20s consistently if out of form.
Yeah, quite true, I often use the term "bad form" purely to mean "lack of runs". Will edit the above post.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm happy to see Dravid's average dip to 52.

So much better seeing him around the Lara's, Border's, Chappells, Gavaskar's, SWaugh's etc in terms of average.

Precambrian

Banned
With whom do you replace him? He's still a top batsman by a long way. Seeing Yuvraj in action today, Dravid needs to stay on a little longer.
Yuvraj is never a test class batsman and comparison of him and Dravid is not valid imho. Many are knocking the doors who are worthier than Yuvraj and possible on current form better than Dravid like Badri, Pujara, Sharma etc.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Vijay and Chopra were not considered because they are openers in the strictest sense.
Could Gambhir possibly move to number 3?

I think he'd be a terrific first drop and if the opening batters were more likely to perform than the back up middle order batsmen, I don't think it would be too bad a move.

Precambrian

Banned
Could Gambhir possibly move to number 3?

I think he'd be a terrific first drop and if the opening batters were more likely to perform than the back up middle order batsmen, I don't think it would be too bad a move.
Not a bad thing to have Gambhir at No.3, but he's already made his dough at the opening spot. Not really necessary to disturb a well established opening partnership just to accomodate a replacement for a No.3 bat or a No.6 bat. Pujara, Raina and Sharma are all middle order players who can fill in easier than Vijay or Chopra. Or if Vijay is persisted with, he may well have to bat lower than he bats in the Ranji Trophy. I don't think the adjustment will be difficult as he is a reasonably good player of spin.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not at all. Sehwag is Sehwag, a freak of nature. He is imho an exception than rule.
Hussey? Cricket is littered with such 'exceptions', making the rule that an opener cannot bat well in the middle order not a very good one in the first place.

So what about, for example, Murali Vijay's game that you find unsuitable for the middle order?

analyst

U19 12th Man
Dravid will be back to his old self only once he is outside the subcontinent and if he plays himself into some sort of form before he departs the subcontinent. Otherwise its pretty much curtains.

Precambrian

Banned
Hussey? Cricket is littered with such 'exceptions', making the rule that an opener cannot bat well in the middle order not a very good one in the first place.

So what about, for example, Murali Vijay's game that you find unsuitable for the middle order?
Cut it off SS, I am not interested into entering into an argument. I doubt whether you will find many cases like Sehwag who is not a bona-fide opener yet made it big in Test match cricket.

As to M Vijay, please see my post above in reply to Nufan. I am not sure Vijay should be preferred over Badri for filling any middle order spot in tests.

Edit - True in case of Hussey but he was way way way superior to Vijay when selected and again is akin to Sehwag.

Precambrian

Banned
Dravid will be back to his old self only once he is outside the subcontinent and if he plays himself into some sort of form before he departs the subcontinent. Otherwise its pretty much curtains.
10 of the last 24 tests Dravid played were outside the subcontinent (of course barring Bangladesh). He scored 488 runs @ 27 from them.