• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think my only issue is - how do we define trolling and when do we infract it? Lots of us seem to have free reign and troll/derail discussions all the time. The only difference is halba makes stupid as **** posts interspersed with a bit of trolling.

I personally think trolling should be allowed. Adds a bit of spice to the forum. When it goes into that grey area of getting personal and really offensive stuff then the mods can use their discretion.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I think my only issue is - how do we define trolling and when do we infract it? Lots of us seem to have free reign and troll/derail discussions all the time. The only difference is halba makes stupid as **** posts interspersed with a bit of trolling.

I personally think trolling should be allowed. Adds a bit of spice to the forum. When it goes into that grey area of getting personal and really offensive stuff then the mods can use their discretion.
tbf, and i don't know the ins and out of modding and processes but unless there's a logistical problem here you probably could've justifiably hit halba with a couple months for forum atmosphere, and get it through that way

ataraxia

International Coach
tbf, and i don't know the ins and out of modding and processes but unless there's a logistical problem here you probably could've justifiably hit halba with a couple months for forum atmosphere, and get it through that way
Forum atmosphere is a permanent ban. aka I agree.

Should really return to bans being placed by moderator discretion, though – hitting Nintendo with a month when a week would do the trick is especially egregious.

Victor Ian

International Coach
But it seems that he has had many warnings (hints) through repeated infractions. So they hardly picked on him with a year at first sight.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Forum atmosphere is a permanent ban. aka I agree.

Should really return to bans being placed by moderator discretion, though – hitting Nintendo with a month when a week would do the trick is especially egregious.
ah yeah that's right i forgot it's standardized lengths

i understand the reasoning behind the standardized lengths which i believe @Spark explained during the nintendo saga - it's easy for bans to seem arbitrary or for it to seem, eg, like favourites of the forum might get special treatment vs newcomers if the bans were left to discretion entirely, but some of those criticisms could be levelled at the system as it stands now as well. it's not an easy thing and the mods do their best but i'm inclined to agree with you on discretion

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway as long as we're posting about bannings, you should be banned if at least 20% (10% for draft forum regulars) of your posts are Gambhiring about your side and they end up winning.

Spark

Global Moderator
ah yeah that's right i forgot it's standardized lengths

i understand the reasoning behind the standardized lengths which i believe @Spark explained during the nintendo saga - it's easy for bans to seem arbitrary or for it to seem, eg, like favourites of the forum might get special treatment vs newcomers if the bans were left to discretion entirely, but some of those criticisms could be levelled at the system as it stands now as well. it's not an easy thing and the mods do their best but i'm inclined to agree with you on discretion
The context here is that when you have a dozen plus infractions over three years for exactly the same thing and never make any effort to modify how you post then you're going to need a microscope for the violin I get out when the next one gets you a really long ban.

I really wasn't sure for a long long long time whether it was actually trolling or not. But when you start seeing manifestly contradictory - and usually absurd - opinions being trotted out within an hour of each other, each remarkably crafted to get the biggest rise out of people, and when this is most of your posting output then, like I said, does it really matter whether he truly had the intent to troll in his heart or not?

Victor Ian

International Coach
The context here is that when you have a dozen plus infractions over three years for exactly the same thing and never make any effort to modify how you post then you're going to need a microscope for the violin I get out when the next one gets you a really long ban.

I really wasn't sure for a long long long time whether it was actually trolling or not. But when you start seeing manifestly contradictory - and usually absurd - opinions being trotted out within an hour of each other, each remarkably crafted to get the biggest rise out of people, and when this is most of your posting output then, like I said, does it really matter whether he truly had the intent to troll in his heart or not?
Hmmm. This scares me now. I my defense, I really don't like Sanga. I don't know what it is, but he just rubs me up the wrong way.