• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Our prayers with David Hookes

masterblaster

International Captain
Thanks Megan for the kind words.

I too was having trouble for a while, but afterwards it all just came out and I ended up writing the column very quickly.

Thanks once again to everyone for those kind words.

My article is nothing compared to his great legacy.

Slow Love™

International Captain
anzac said:
haven't caught all the story yet but caught the headlines that it has generally been confirmed from statements from those present at the incident that Hookes threw the 1st punch.........

reports also that the defendant has failed to appear / report.......
What are you talking about? Not ruling out the possibility, but I haven't read this ANYWHERE. There are some conflicting accounts, but none of them have implied that Hookes threw any punches. Where did you hear this?

Update: Micevic was charged with manslaughter today.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
Thanks Megan for the kind words.

I too was having trouble for a while, but afterwards it all just came out and I ended up writing the column very quickly.

Thanks once again to everyone for those kind words.

My article is nothing compared to his great legacy.
I think I may wait until after his funeral to try and write something..

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Did anyone see and/or tape "Inside Cricket" tonight??

I missed it because my cable is playing up and would love to get a copy of it!!

anzac

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
What are you talking about? Not ruling out the possibility, but I haven't read this ANYWHERE. There are some conflicting accounts, but none of them have implied that Hookes threw any punches. Where did you hear this?

Update: Micevic was charged with manslaughter today.
I'm sure I heard / saw it on the Ch7 news this morning - mind you I was trying to wake up at the time and did not catch any follow up later on......

I'm pretty sure it said that the witnesses statements all indicated that Hookes had thrown the first punch - I also note that the defendant is claiming provocation so there could be some basis to the story I heard.........

even if Hookes did throw the first punch we will not know what the circumstances were until the matter is b4 the Court - it is said that such actions were not part of his character, so perhaps he felt provoked.......

furthermore the original reports were that he was king hit from behind so perhaps Hookes' confrontation was initially with another bouncer and not the defendant, who then hit him when Hookes threw a punch at the other guy.........

as I said it's all speculation at the moment which is not going to do anyone any good - we won't get the full story until it goes to Court so perhaps we'd all be better off leaving it be until then.......

:)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I also heard today that this bloke is saying he and his family have received death threats... huh gee what a surprise :rolleyes: If he doesn't get manslaughter, he won't be hanging around for long anyway.

anzac

International Debutant
Linda said:
I also heard today that this bloke is saying he and his family have received death threats... huh gee what a surprise :rolleyes: If he doesn't get manslaughter, he won't be hanging around for long anyway.

yup heard the same thing..........

it's probably true but I admit to being a bit cynical about all these press statements - the battle lines are being drawn early with one side lionising the victim, and the other claiming provocation, death threats, life ruined, family besieged & having to leave home.... etc etc etc and on and on and on........

it's all part of the standard 2 step performed for the media in any high profile case - the defence will claim at some stage they will be unable to get an impartial jury to hear the matter because of all the negative press their client has received.....

it reminds me somewhat of the portrayal of the Court in the movie Chicago.............

:(

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
The Thoughts Of An Umpire

Found this on www.cricketump.com which is Umpire Daryl Harper's website....The first line and last paragraph says it all....

David William HOOKES.........1955-2004

Words fail me.

In 1977 on study leave from teaching duties, I went to Adelaide Oval to watch the first day of three consecutive Sheffield Shield matches. Twenty one year old David Hookes scored centuries on those three Fridays in February. He also managed two other hundreds in second innings during that incredible period leading up to his debut in the Centenary Test later that year.

David was state captain when I commenced my first class umpiring career in 1987-88. To accept that he has been taken from us in such a senseless way, really is difficult to believe. He was an inspirational bloke, and I have nothing but fond memories of the times he touched my life during the past sixteen years.

It has been difficult to digest the incidents as they have been reported to us during the past 36 hours, and equally as difficult to muster up the enthusiasm needed to prepare for Thursday’s VB Series game in Sydney. Australia will meet India for the third time in this series with one win apiece. It will be the Australian team’s first match since Hookesy died and emotions will be high. I don’t expect it will be easy to be involved and neither will it be easy when the cricket moves to Adelaide Oval on the weekend, scene of so many triumphant moments for David William Hookes.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was great to see many teams playing on Saturday had black armbands on. I know the match we played our team and our opposition had them on. And it was the young guys in the team who instigated it - Great gesture! R.I.P Hookesy.

scud101

Cricket Spectator
Yea David Hookes' demise is indeed very, very sad. Reminds me of Raman Lamba's death after getting a fatal blow to his head from a cricket ball while fielding. But Hookes' incident could have been avoided. I heard he was trying to break up a fight and got involved. Correct me if I'm wrong.

May His Soul Rest In Peace.