• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OK, So why are the Aussie going ahead with the Indian tour

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm bitter to nothing. But yes, I do hate to see players get the outrageous amount of luck Symonds has in the last 6 months or so. I never, ever hope for success for anyone, regardless of anything, via such a route of outrageous fortune.
Waits for the derision of Pietersen's knock at the Oval in 05.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
lets see here-be more afraid of the cradle of terrorism in the world or their exported ideology(along with logistical support) in other countries.I hope no country ever plays there again.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Here are the first paragraphs from the Australian government's travel advice for Australians visiting the countries discussed. Taken from http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

Australia foreign office travel advice to Pakistan:

"We strongly advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Pakistan at this time due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, sectarian violence and the unpredictable security situation. If you do decide to travel to Pakistan, you should exercise extreme caution. If you are in Pakistan and concerned for your safety, you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so."

Australia foreign office travel advice to India (updated two days ago):

"We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in India because of the high risk of terrorist activity by militant groups."

Australia foreign office travel advice to Sri Lanka:

"We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Sri Lanka at this time because of the very high risk of politically motivated violence. Attacks in Colombo have become more frequent and have killed many civilians. Further attacks can happen at any time, anywhere in Sri Lanka. Australians could inadvertently become victims of violence directed at others."

Australia foreign office travel advice to South Africa:

"We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in South Africa because of the high level of serious crime."

---

Agree with these or not, it's understandable why players read them and worry. Pakistan's is the strongest, followed by Sri Lanka. Although when you read them in full there's a clear distinction in tone where broadly Pakistan's is saying Australian interests may be targets whereas Sri Lanka's is saying Australians may be inadvertantly caught up in violence. India's is nowhere near as strong.
In the past 3-4 years only the political rallies have been targeted or the army or police personal been attacked so don't know from where did this Aussie foreign travel office get the idea that Aussie interests might be attacked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waits for the derision of Pietersen's knock at the Oval in 05.
I CBA repeating it again - have a dig around if you want to find the several occasions I've talked about how relatively poor that knock was. :)

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
Geoff Lawson. Just follow what he says, he hasnt even got huge amount of security and he is living in pakistan for the past year or so.

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
By the way i was wondering seeing how australians and the english are soo corncerned about touring. Imagine pakistan just NOW offered these teams with big Ads which would get them some millions. Would be so interesting to see their reaction :laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Geoff Lawson. Just follow what he says, he hasnt even got huge amount of security and he is living in pakistan for the past year or so.
Mind you, even the promise of a number of virgins awaiting would have you hard pressed to blow yourself up to take out Geoff Lawson. :happy:

Beleg

International Regular
The visit of Australian cricket team is NOT analogous to the presence of private individuals on Pakistani territory. Please keep that in mind.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really agree with your analysis of risk. It would be considered ridiculous if i were to say that i don't want to go to SA because there's mosquitoes there, but that's a much greater risk than terrorism in Pakistan. Falling seriously ill due to the heat in Pakistan or India is a much greater risk for those of us from the UK not used to such temperatures than terrorism is, but it never stopped teams from here touring those countries before.

In these circumstances it may seem rather trivial, but skewed risk perception can be a serious problem. It's widely believed that the UK could face a widespread measles epidemic in the near future because mothers are opting not to give their children the MMR vaccine through unfounded and irrational fears it may cause autism. By trying to minimise whatever risk there is, they're inadvertently putting their children at a much greater risk.

Obviously, it's the responsibility of the player and they should never be pressurised into touring, or even playing at all, if they're not comfortable with doing so. But they shouldn't be passed off as logical concerns when really they're raw emotions based on one's personal experience.
A fine post, uppercut.

Xuhaib

International Coach
First of all condolences to all who lost their lives and their loved ones in todays Dehli blasts.

Now on to the topic another spate of bomb blasts in Dehli the sight of Ind-Aus 3 rd test match for the upcoming series. It would be interesting to see the Australian stance to this current development.

I fully expect a statement from CA along these lines " If we cancel this tour then it will be a victory for these terrorist the show must go on"

Xuhaib

International Coach
Haha. Great Call. Don't underestimate the value of the dollar or Australia's fear of the BCCI. Hopefully this means Symonds will pull out of the tour with his usual " All these bombs going off" comments.
At least Symo is consistent:dry:

social

First of all condolences to all who lost their lives and their loved ones in todays Dehli blasts.

Now on to the topic another spate of bomb blasts in Dehli the sight of Ind-Aus 3 rd test match for the upcoming series. It would be interesting to see the Australian stance to this current development.

I fully expect a statement from CA along these lines " If we cancel this tour then it will be a victory for these terrorist the show must go on"
Good post

If they were consistent, they wouldn't go or, at the very least, would delay the tour

As a Pakistani cricket supporter, you have my sympathies

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
It was never the bombs...

Even though I reckon the only way the PCB will get the Aussies to tour is if they actually go out and make peace with the extremmists or catch Osama Bin Laden.

pup11

International Coach
We all know BCCI has a big say in international cricket, and they pretty much call all the shots, so even if a team is hesitant to tour India i don't think it would have the courage to defy BCCI and cancel the tour.

If PCB had a similar stature in world cricket then also we would have seen teams touring Pakistan amidst all the problems, so the bottom line is money makes the world go around.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
We all know BCCI has a big say in international cricket, and they pretty much call all the shots, so even if a team is hesitant to tour India i don't think it would have the courage to defy BCCI and cancel the tour.

If PCB had a similar stature in world cricket then also we would have seen teams touring Pakistan amidst all the problems, so the bottom line is money makes the world go around.
8-)8-) Are they going to get paid more for playing test cricket in India ?

duffer

The foreigners played on in the IPL, they'll go to India too. Cricket aside, the situation in India is really really depressing me now.