• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

Xix2565

International Regular
lol try backing up to someone bowling 150kph and watching the ball leave the bowlers hand. Great way to get ****ed by a ball being hit back at you.

I would hope no one would be dumb enough to try that
You stand farther back then or keep your bat grounded?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol try backing up to someone bowling 150kph and watching the ball leave the bowlers hand. Great way to get ****ed by a ball being hit back at you.

I would hope no one would be dumb enough to try that
Tbf someone bowling 150kph is not going to be able to mankad anyone

Xix2565

International Regular
What I meant was we need a rule to stop them from trying it out every now and then just to try their luck. If you fail you get penalised somehow perhaps.

This actually happened in a game I played in recently where someone tried it unsuccessfully three times.
The penalty as it is now is a dead ball and batters now being far more aware of the bowling side's plans. Not sure how much more needs to be added to try to save batters from their mistakes.

Xix2565

International Regular
Tbf someone bowling 150kph is not going to be able to mankad anyone
Even if they could, is it that difficult to be cautious? Honest question for everyone. Is there some deeply ingrained human instinct that tells you to consistently go out of the crease in preparation of a run that can't be curbed no matter what?

Burgey

!?

IIRC for the Ashwin incident the batter's bat was inside the crease when the bowlers front foot landed, the bowler then pulled out of the arm rotation, waited for the batter to leave the crease, then made the run out.

In this incident the batter's bat had already crossed the crease line (just) when the bowlers front foot landed.
Yeah I think the Ashwin one was more extreme than this tbh. I've only seen this in real time but it sort of looked like the bowler went through with her normal stride then took the bails off? I'd have to look at it more closely.

Generally don't have a problem if the run out occurs in the normal sort of time frame of the bowler delivering the ball. Have more of an issue when there's a balking which takes the time frame past the point where the ball is normally delivered and the batsman/ batter would have been in their crease but for the balking.

The respective "it's **** don't do it" and "derpa derp don't leave your crease" crews are both wrong because it's not as simple as either makes out.

Burgey

Even if they could, is it that difficult to be cautious? Honest question for everyone. Is there some deeply ingrained human instinct that tells you to consistently go out of the crease in preparation of a run that can't be curbed no matter what?
It's this part of your post that falls down. If the bowler balks to the point past where the ball would otherwise be delivered then it changes everything.

Xix2565

International Regular
It's only complicated because one side of the equation (non-striker) isn't interested in being aware of what can happen.

Xix2565

International Regular
It's this part of your post that falls down. If the bowler balks to the point past where the ball would otherwise be delivered then it changes everything.
Yes, which is why we have umpires who literally have a front row seat to the show. What's next, umpires are **** at figuring this out even with technology?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's only complicated because one side of the equation (non-striker) isn't interested in being aware of what can happen.
You talk about dumb batters deserve to be punished for cheating as if the indian batters wouldn't be doing it in the same match situation, ie if they were batting second. Hell maybe they were doing it at the death in the first innings, wouldn't surprise me. The selective implementation of this tactic is a big part of it. Go for it all the time if it's such a fair tactic. Why save it as a secret weapon.

Burgey

Yes, which is why we have umpires who literally have a front row seat to the show. What's next, umpires are **** at figuring this out even with technology?
The issue with this rule is it isn't like a run out/ stumping/ lbw though because I guess the umpire needs to interpret what is the point where the ball would normally have been delivered?

Be nice for them to earn their cash for a change :D

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In all my time playing cricket, I honestly can’t recall ever watching the bowler deliver OR leaving the crease early when non striker

All the action is supposed to be at the other end so pointless

Xix2565

International Regular
Nah it definitely need to be no-balled at the very least.
Unless you get no balls for dropping catches or not knocking the bails off (Zing) then I'm not really seeing a strong case for this.

You talk about dumb batters deserve to be punished for cheating as if the indian batters wouldn't be doing it in the same match situation, ie if they were batting second. Hell maybe they were doing it at the death in the first innings, wouldn't surprise me. The selective implementation of this tactic is a big part of it. Go for it all the time if it's such a fair tactic. Why save it as a secret weapon.
The Indian batters would also be dumb for not being aware. And you act like it's natural when we literally see other English women not back up that much even in a tight run chase. FFS it's only selective because people first have to notice it happening to try and do it.

The issue with this rule is it isn't like a run out/ stumping/ lbw though because I guess the umpire needs to interpret what is the point where the ball would normally have been delivered?

Be nice for them to earn their cash for a change :D
That's given though? This isn't nuclear science.

21.2 Fair delivery – the arm

For a delivery to be fair in respect of the arm the ball must not be thrown.

A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler’s arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that instant until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.

Although it is the primary responsibility of the striker’s end umpire to assess the fairness of a delivery in this respect, there is nothing in this Law to debar the bowler’s end umpire from calling and signalling No ball if he/she considers that the ball has been thrown.

In all my time playing cricket, I honestly can’t recall ever watching the bowler deliver OR leaving the crease early when non striker

All the action is supposed to be at the other end so pointless
Right but it doesn't seem to count when we see professionals be aware and cautious apparently. Which is it? Are they idiots or smart for staying behind the line while observing the action?

Xix2565

International Regular
It's not a legal delivery, therefore should be a no-ball. Practically though, it's to stop bowlers trying to do it every ball and ruining the game.
It's only a no ball if the bowler isn't in their delivery stride. Otherwise it's fine.

21.4 Bowler throwing towards striker’s end before delivery

If the bowler throws the ball towards the striker’s end before entering the delivery stride, either umpire shall call and signal No ball. See Law 41.17 (Batters stealing a run). However, the procedure stated in 21.3 of first and final warning, informing, action against the bowler and reporting shall not apply.

41.16.2 If the ball is not delivered and there is an appeal,

• the umpire shall make his/her decision on the Run out. If it is not out, he/she shall call and signal Dead ball as soon as possible.
  • the ball shall not count as one in the over.

If bowlers keep repeating it incorrectly, they'll get called, just like batters should when they get caught trying to steal a run.

41.17 Batters stealing a run

It is unfair for the batters to attempt to steal a run during the bowler’s run-up. Unless the bowler attempts to run out either batter – see 41.16 and Law 21.4 (Bowler throwing towards striker’s end before delivery) – the umpire shall

- call and signal Dead ball as soon as the batters cross in such an attempt.