• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it’s a decent wake up call for Aus re the batting, and also the ongoing reluctance to rotate the quicks at times. It’s a long summer.
Yeah Morris really should have had a gig this summer just to get some visibility on how he'd go.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I genuinely wonder if Smith is thinking that he should have just faced every ball from Shamar and trust Hazlewood to get off strike/see off Alzarri. The difference in threat between the two ends was vast.
You'd think he could have especially with Alzarri's bowling and the spread field. Haze really isn't up to holding an end.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I genuinely wonder if Smith is thinking that he should have just faced every ball from Shamar and trust Hazlewood to get off strike/see off Alzarri. The difference in threat between the two ends was vast.
Yeah this, the second Smith gave up the strike I leaned so far forward I almost fell off my sofa. You’d never back a number 11 to last more than a few balls against bowling of that quality.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dunno, I think he played it pretty well. If he couldn’t survive two an over I don’t see him lasting six, although the other bloke was clearly not as threatening.

Burgey

Yeah this, the second Smith gave up the strike I leaned so far forward I almost fell off my sofa. You’d never back a number 11 to last more than a few balls against bowling of that quality.
He left him two tbf. If he doesn’t take the one he bowls two bouncers and Hazlewood has six to face at the other end.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I have a feeling the Stokes approach would have been to take it much deeper into the over before looking for the single. It's not like Smith doesn't have the ability to do move around and manufacture a run even with the field up. It was clear that two balls was a set plan though, because he'd taken that run twice already, so you can't really be too critical.

Spark

Global Moderator
Plus he almost certainly gets a chance to hit a boundary off the last ball. It's something he'll think about for sure.

Spark

Global Moderator
I have a feeling the Stokes approach would have been to take it much deeper into the over before looking for the single. It's not like Smith doesn't have the ability to do move around and manufacture a run even with the field up. It was clear that two balls was a set plan though, because he'd taken that run twice already, so you can't really be too critical.
Oh no this is like ultra-nitpicking levels of "criticism", it's definitely a perfectly fine thing to do to have that 4/2 split. But Shamar was bowling hand grenades and Alzarri... wasn't

danzydab

U19 Debutant
bowling 150 kph with a broken toe and taking 7 wicket in one day. i cant remember a better spell of fast bowling in australia in recent times

Spikey

It just doesn't work for us for whatever reason. I'd even argue that it didn't work with Voges and that's the closest you can get - we didn't pick him to pile on runs against the worst WI attack ever fielded at home, we picked him to score runs in England in 2015 and he failed dismally.
a true disgrace that voges was allowed to stay in the team after he failed the actual mission

Spikey

Tbf all of those selections were related to Hughes either getting dropped short term or being a PROTECTED species against SA.

Hate to speak ill of the dead, but we all saw it happen and Doolan and Quiney were most certainly short term bait.
the protection thing never made sense. iirc the old man selector said it, but Quiney had runs on the board. it was a logical selection in the sense that he had form and stuff.

it wasn't logical in that he was clearly not better than hughes, but it's no different to Harris/Burns/Wade getting opening gigs over Usman, we often don't pick the best player, just the narrative.

likewise Cowan was a narrative selection. A ton in the shield final and a very hot start to the season. "form"