• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

WICFan

State 12th Man
I remember watching him in '09 and he was properly fast. Wasn't Tino Best around at that time as well? Also quite short but pretty quick.
Fidel Edwards as well, all three were hitting 90mph+ and I think Edwards was the tallest, he was about 5 foot 10.

Unfortunately Edwards action meant he was prone to back injuries while Best had little between the ears.

Jerome Taylor could probably be added to that list as well.

Gob

International Coach
Haha, you were the one who picked up on me suggesting Smith was in terminal decline - now you're agreeing with me.

What's that phrase? Ah yes....
Stop putting words/stuff in my mouth

I think there is a decline but he was averaging around 45 post 2019 and around 48 for the last 2 years so its still pretty good for test cricket in the middle order but its a risk if you try it as an opener

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Stop putting words/stuff in my mouth

I think there is a decline but he was averaging around 45 post 2019 and around 48 for the last 2 years so its still pretty good for test cricket in the middle order but its a risk if you try it as an opener
Which is what I predicted. You were even concerned that I'd come here and say it if he failed, then I find you'd already done that!!

I'm not putting words in your mouth, you're ahead of me..... 😂 😂

Gob

International Coach
Which is what I predicted. You were even concerned that I'd come here and say it if he failed, then I find you'd already done that!!

I'm not putting words in your mouth, you're ahead of me..... 😂 😂
I never said/thought opening was a good idea. I was responding to your comment on whether Smith would have put his hand up to open if he was playing in England which is idiotic because the bloke has 8 tons there and apparently has been entertaining the idea of opening during the ashes. Infact his batting at the moment suits England more than Australia probably

Anyway its still a one ****ing innings so I should probably wait before making a judgement

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fidel Edwards as well, all three were hitting 90mph+ and I think Edwards was the tallest, he was about 5 foot 10.

Unfortunately Edwards action meant he was prone to back injuries while Best had little between the ears.

Jerome Taylor could probably be added to that list as well.
A mate I played cricket with hung out with the WI on a tour a while ago, think it must have been 2005, apparently he was just chatting with Brian Lara on the couch while Tino was coming up and down from the bedroom all night taking 2 girls at a time

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway its still a one ****ing innings so I should probably wait before making a judgement
Yeah, likewise. I didn't really want to make a judgment today, especially as there's seemingly a fair bit in it for the bowlers and it looked like he got a good one.

Still think it's an odd move though to basically allow a bloke averaging 21 in his last 4 Tests to move into the cherished number 4 spot.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Superficially it seemed like a strange decision having had, definitively the best player of the last decade or so, move to a position so late in his career, regardless of whether he's had a more 'ordinary' last few years.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah, likewise. I didn't really want to make a judgment today, especially as there's seemingly a fair bit in it for the bowlers and it looked like he got a good one.

Still think it's an odd move though to basically allow a bloke averaging 21 in his last 4 Tests to move into the cherished number 4 spot.
Last ashes test and 3 against Pakistan?

It's 45 lol

Gob

International Coach
On the positive side if things, Green actually looked a lot more confident in his very short stay

WICFan

State 12th Man
A mate I played cricket with hung out with the WI on a tour a while ago, think it must have been 2005, apparently he was just chatting with Brian Lara on the couch while Tino was coming up and down from the bedroom all night taking 2 girls at a time
It's mentioned in his book and online, the man had more than 40 women on that tour alone.

Owzat

U19 Captain
gotta love the beeb, apparently it's A Joseph but only Joseph when it comes to Shamar Joseph - go figure!

I mean the daftest is when only one Bravo say was playing and they distinguish, even though the players are listed at the bottom of their scorecards, but two with same surname in one game they leave it like this...

Who is Tangerine Chanderpaul?!?!? Son of Shiv?