• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Gob

International Coach
It was low-scoring in the first two days but Australia absolutely should have made more in the second dig. I remember being distinctly annoyed by it at the time, 370 was a big chase that Australia obviously should have defended but given how rapidly that pitch was flattening out, it was far from insurmountable. IIRC the WinViz - not the be-all and end-all but a good yardstick - gave England something like a 25% chance at the start of their chase.
Wasn't Marnus's fault though was it. IIRC he was the last man run out for 80 odd

Gob

International Coach
Tbh,He was struggling at no 4 since after WTC finals.
nah he was alright in the Ashes. Looks as good as I've ever seen him play at Lords and pretty much the same at the oval in the last test. Would have made a ton there if he hadn't ran out of partners

Looks pretty woeful since then through the WC and home tests so far

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't Marnus's fault though was it. IIRC he was the last man run out for 80 odd
Made 80 odd and got run out batting with the tail. Even if the deck got flatter, it's not his fault the other batsmen couldn't cash in on that.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith didn't play the ball well, tbf. Pushed at it REALLY hard. If he plays with softer hands to that it drops short easily.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'm not the one to tell Steve Smith where he should bat but its worth keep in mind that he has not look fluent in any form of cricket for good six months now and has been missing straight balls. Despite all that, he has been grinding some important runs

If the out puts come to single figure scores, its not very good
I mean you're kind of doing my job for me now.

Seems like there's already technique issues with this new young opener....

Gob

International Coach
I mean you're kind of doing my job for me now.

Seems like there's already technique issues with this new young opener....
Yes. Sports people tend to struggle when they get older

Even a blockhead like you should be able to understand that

Qlder

International Debutant
All this talk about Smith and Labuschagne's form and no-one mentioning Head has only scored 81 runs @ 16.20 so far this summer

(And a Warneresque 443 runs @ 29.93 in last 8 Tests without a century)

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
All this talk about Smith and Labuschagne's form and no-one mentioning Head has only scored 81 runs @ 16.20 so far this summer
Well they're the two who got out, it's only natural.

There was plenty talk about Head in the Pakistan series with people suggesting the time was coming near for him to be dropped (wtf lol?)

Gob

International Coach

(And a Warneresque 443 runs @ 29.93 in last 9 Tests without a century)
What about last 10?

Qlder

International Debutant
What about last 10?
Last 9 tests equated to start of Ashes when Smith and Labuschagne also struggled, although I realise now 9 includes this test where he hasn't batted yet (so edited to last 8 Tests)

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kinda even funnier that Warner’s away record is so awful considering he does have this remarkable series in there too. Basically playing with 10.5 the rest of the time. Anyone who'd rather that than Marnus’ output is kidding themselves, not that he doesn’t have scope to improve in his own right.

Gob

International Coach
Last 9 tests equated to start of Ashes when Smith and Labuschagne also struggled, although I realise now 9 includes this test where he hasn't batted yet (so edited to last 8 Tests)
Love how quickly you pick these things

smart