• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a lot there for him and it's still only a few games but wow has Lyon been ineffective since Perth.
Doesn't look the same as before the injury.

Trouble is, replacements not looking so good now. Murphy has bowled terribly this Shield season, him playing against England and in T20s means he now seems to fire everything down at 95 km/h. Fairly sure he bowled slower than that when he debuted.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am I the only one whose mind is getting weirdly triggered by seeing Smith opening the batting now that it's actually happening

like "hey, this isn't right"

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Keen to see if their bowling lineup can be better than their batsmen. Roach can only improve with the kookaburra surely. Is Seales not in the squad by the way?

Spark

Global Moderator
Doesn't look the same as before the injury.

Trouble is, replacements not looking so good now. Murphy has bowled terribly this Shield season, him playing against England and in T20s means he now seems to fire everything down at 95 km/h. Fairly sure he bowled slower than that when he debuted.
I think he bowled pretty quickly in India tbh which is absolutely how you want to bowl on those decks, but isn't necessarily transferrable unless you have Jadeja levels of accuracy. I think that might have been more the issue than how he bowled in England.

I also don't quite know what to read into the Shield results. With the "greentops or massive road" policy going around it feels like that's just where spinners go to die in general; cf Lyon's infamous crapness whenever he went back to the Shield despite doing fine at the level above.

Starfighter

First movement at the sightcreen disruption and we haven't even started.

I really don't think opening will make much difference for Smith when it's that squaring up that it such a salient problem. He should at least try playing his shots. Saw someone theorising a few weeks ago that part of his problem is that his elbow injury has reduced his ability to play pressure release shots behind square on the off side.

Starfighter

That's just terrible keeping. Neither Da Silva's batting nor keeping has come on since his debut, frankly he might have gotten worse.

Starfighter

I think he bowled pretty quickly in India tbh which is absolutely how you want to bowl on those decks, but isn't necessarily transferrable unless you have Jadeja levels of accuracy. I think that might have been more the issue than how he bowled in England.

I also don't quite know what to read into the Shield results. With the "greentops or massive road" policy going around it feels like that's just where spinners go to die in general; cf Lyon's infamous crapness whenever he went back to the Shield despite doing fine at the level above.
Well he's doing a lot worse than last year, though I think the pitches might be even worse.

When I watched him bowling in the Shield before his test debut he seemed to be tricking the batsmen with his flight. He certainly isn't doing that now.