• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting referral decision with regards to Powell's LBW shout on How. Again, I'm sure the third umpire would've benefitted with at least seeing the hawkeye projection - as it turned out, the ball was projected to hit if not more, then at least at a similar position on the stumps as Ramdin in the first test, which was also referred but given out. Inconsistencies there, so there are certainly flaws in the referral system IMO. I think Martin Crowe's comments made good sense too - that teams should only be given 1 (I'd advocate for 2 though) incorrect referral per innings, so instead of teams challenging 50-50 calls, only the obviously incorrect calls are referred and the umpire still has a role to play in the game.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor How looks in absolutely atrocious form, hope he can dig himself out of this slump.

McIntosh is looking alright at the other end.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Interesting referral decision with regards to Powell's LBW shout on How. Again, I'm sure the third umpire would've benefitted with at least seeing the hawkeye projection - as it turned out, the ball was projected to hit if not more, then at least at a similar position on the stumps as Ramdin in the first test, which was also referred but given out. Inconsistencies there, so there are certainly flaws in the referral system IMO. I think Martin Crowe's comments made good sense too - that teams should only be given 1 (I'd advocate for 2 though) incorrect referral per innings, so instead of teams challenging 50-50 calls, only the obviously incorrect calls are referred and the umpire still has a role to play in the game.
I'm not sure who it was on commentary at the time but they disagreed with Martin and i like their point. If a ball shaves the bat, it is still out,just like if a ball shaves the wicket it is still out. I think everyone watching would've thought, yeah thats clipping leg stump - it was obvious. But again 3rd umpire is scared and reluctant to go against proper umpire so decision remained the same. I think the referral system needs some serious re-vamping.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
AWTA

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't say its inconsistent. The referral system is designed as a method to catch out any obvious umpiring mistakes. So if, like with Flynn, the umpire thought the ball hit outside the line of off stump when it didn't, the 3rd umpire can help correct the original decision. But in a case where there isn't anything obviously wrong (such as when the ball may be hitting or it may not), the 3rd umpire really should back up the on-field umpire's call.

Therefore, if Jamie How had been given out to that shout, and he had called for a referral, I think the 3rd umpire would've once again upheld the umpire's decision, as it wasn't obviously going to miss leg (indeed Hawkeye suggests it would've just nicked it). But the umpire was closest to it, and he felt that it was just missing, and the 3rd umpire could find nothing to disprove that. Fair enough too. Otherwise, why bother with onfield umpires at all?

And yes, I agree the number of referrals should be dropped to 2. With only 1, you might see it never being used, as captain's are almost never be 100% sure that an incorrect decision has been made.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I'm just praying our top three batsmen score decent runs in this test.

I don't really want us to go back to Bell or Cumming.

FFS How.

Craig

World Traveller
:laugh:

However that was pathetic. McIntosh should go and score a massive hundred now after that comical lifeline.

Days of Grace

International Captain
That's the biggest ****up on a cricket field I have seen for some time. You kinda have a feeling every time the Windies go out to field these days that they will screw up sometime.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
A big lol at the scoreboard saying

Bowler: C Gay

The Napier scoreboard has always been a shocker. I have been there around 5 or 6 times, and it is always annoying. I'm amazed it has lasted this long, but hopefully with the upgrade we will see a new one sometime next year.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Triple post!!

Flynn gets past 49 for a 2nd time in a row. :eek:

Nice 50 for Flynn, would be great if we could get to stumps without further loss.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Thrilling.
I'd rather be 120/1 than 150/4 any day of the week. Considering that that's probably the end of the day, I have to say I'm overall very pleased. Again, starting play at 12:00 has been shown to be an awful idea, and I hope we don't see it again next season. The light closing just as McIntosh and Flynn starting to get on top too. A start at 11:00 will do fine. Very good effort by O'Brien though. Dismissing the windies for 300 was almost the perfect start. I hope How gets retained for the start of the Indian series, as I still think the potential is there for him to turn the corner, but time is running out fast, and he may have to score a 50 at least in the 2nd innings (if such a knock is required) to keep his place. McIntosh needs to work on pushing singles. Overall, entirely our day, which we haven't been able to say for a while.

Last edited: