• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been to both...I'd say they're pretty similar. But of course Napier has the big stands, whereas if you hit a six at the Outer Oval it tends to land on the road outside!

99*

International Debutant
Once Eden Park number 1 gets updated they are supposed to be making the outer oval to test match size..apparently it will only JUST reach the minimum requirements for size though.
Doubt it will matter, people that live near there are trying to stop tests being played.

99*

International Debutant
Na, night games are alright (or else rugby should be the first to go). They just can't seem to handle the five days.

_Ed_

Weird, thought I'd heard somewhere that the neighbours didn't like being disturbed by the big crowds leaving games. Wouldn't have thought that would be an issue with Tests in Auckland.

And I thought I heard them say in that day ODI against Australia a couple of seasons back that it couldn't be a night game because the neighbours put a limit on the number of night games.

99*

International Debutant
Yeah there is a limit on night games, but most want tests stopped as well. I had to interview around 60-70 people living around there about it for a geography assignment last year, around 50 of them wanted test matches stopped (in fact 27 of them wanted cricket stopped altogether).

They're a bunch of fickle pricks, worse than the people near speedway.

_Ed_

Oh right, yeah that's ridiculous.

In some ways that whole waterfront stadium idea might not have been so bad.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah there is a limit on night games, but most want tests stopped as well. I had to interview around 60-70 people living around there about it for a geography assignment last year, around 50 of them wanted test matches stopped (in fact 27 of them wanted cricket stopped altogether).

They're a bunch of fickle pricks, worse than the people near speedway.
I can't imagine all of them being worse than the residents neighbouring Western Springs speedway - those in the form of lets buy a house next to the speedway after its been there for 50 years, find theres a loophole in the law and try to get the track shut down. Though they are interesting figures you've provided from your survey that tend to suggest that the residents around Eden Park are hardly in favour of international cricket matches. I wonder if their tune will change by 2011?

99*

International Debutant
I can't imagine all of them being worse than the residents neighbouring Western Springs speedway - those in the form of lets buy a house next to the speedway after its been there for 50 years, find theres a loophole in the law and try to get the track shut down. Though they are interesting figures you've provided from your survey that tend to suggest that the residents around Eden Park are hardly in favour of international cricket matches. I wonder if their tune will change by 2011?
Yeah, I had to ask them all about the stadium on the sports that are played there. They have the belief that cricket fans are worse than rugby fans. They couldn't give a reason why, but they just said that.

It was really weird talking to them, it's like the stadium popped up last month and hold rock concerts every day and night to them.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I had to ask them all about the stadium on the sports that are played there. They have the belief that cricket fans are worse than rugby fans. They couldn't give a reason why, but they just said that.

It was really weird talking to them, it's like the stadium popped up last month and hold rock concerts every day and night to them.
Funny you should mention rock concerts, because the Western Springs neighbours don't seem to be quite so bothered when they hold all the music events there - even though the noise would be just as loud and they'd be more people turn up than a regular speedway meeting.

I'd imagine that the responses about cricket fans being worse than rugby fans would have something to do with alcohol? Apart from never, how often do you go to a rugby match and see the fans, on the Eden Park terraces in particular, drink as much as that of those at the cricket? Also I suppose the fact that rugby's over within a few hours gives them the opportunity to go out for the night or afternoon and avoid the fans completely, something not quite so easily done when theres cricket supporters around the neighbourhood for five consecutive days.

Polo23

International Debutant
I've been to both...I'd say they're pretty similar. But of course Napier has the big stands, whereas if you hit a six at the Outer Oval it tends to land on the road outside!
Isn't that half the attraction of the Outer Oval, smacking the ball into the Mobil across the road?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess that is the problem then. If you are going to do it, you can't rush it or otherwise it would be a waste of time (excuse the pun) doing it,
It has probably been argued to death, but I can't be ****ed reading through. If such an obvious decision took so long, what's going to happen for the tougher ones? It was a 4-5 minute delay for a pretty simply decision; that is far too long.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It has probably been argued to death, but I can't be ****ed reading through. If such an obvious decision took so long, what's going to happen for the tougher ones? It was a 4-5 minute delay for a pretty simply decision; that is far too long.
Haha, so you'd rather they just got it wrong than took a few minutes?

99*

International Debutant
Yeah, but then test crowds are nowhere near as bad as ODI/T20 crowds. I do think alcohol is most likely the biggest factor but unless it's banned it's always going to be a problem.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, so you'd rather they just got it wrong than took a few minutes?
In the meantime, yes, until they can get a mechanism which takes less time. Would prefer the umpire to say not out than to fart around for 5-10 minutes waiting for a decision.

Get Hawkeye right and let the umpires use it. Otherwise, I just want to watch cricket.

Polo23

International Debutant
Agreed it took far too long. It takes about 2 seconds to see it once and nothing changes the second, third or fourth time you've seen it. Perhaps it's time to get some younger umpires, Koertzen is past it anyway.

_Ed_

Yeah it was a bit silly that they looked at the same replays so many times - particularly the side on one, which immediately showed that height was not an issue.

Precambrian

Banned
In the meantime, yes, until they can get a mechanism which takes less time. Would prefer the umpire to say not out than to fart around for 5-10 minutes waiting for a decision.

Get Hawkeye right and let the umpires use it. Otherwise, I just want to watch cricket.
10 minutes??? The max delay I've seen is around 4 mins in the SL-Ind series.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
10 minutes??? The max delay I've seen is around 4 mins in the SL-Ind series.
I've obviously never seen a referal until yesterday, but a very simple decision which looked out from first look took five minutes. It isn't unreasonable to expect a tougher one to take longer.