• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the England squad just went "woohoo partay time" right after the Ashes and just cbf about the ODIs. Probably the same thing that happened to India after the WC win, and their massive IPL paydays. :p

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
England is also **** at ODIs. Plan all you like, players aren't miraculously going to become better.
It is easier to mould people for the Test format than for the ODI format. In Test cricket, strong bodies and a well practiced individual are rewarded for bowlers. In batting, application and preparation are rewarded. In ODIs, harder to hone skills such as variations in length (sometimes not deliberate), unusual bowling styles and general natural proficiency at seeing a ball and hitting a ball are rewarded moreso (though, of course, not entirely).

Also. England aren't that **** at ODIs, they did maul India in England. Their loss did come against India in the very conditions in which they won the World Cup!

Woodster

International Captain
I think the England squad just went "woohoo partay time" right after the Ashes and just cbf about the ODIs. Probably the same thing that happened to India after the WC win, and their massive IPL paydays. :p
I certainly think England are bothered about ODI's, and it's true we're not very good in that format especially in sub-continental conditions, no doubt about that. Also the main focus is absolutely on Test cricket in England, for both the players, management staff and anyone that follows the game here, and not just because we are now ranked number one in the world, it has always been our priority format.

Woodster

International Captain
It is easier to mould people for the Test format than for the ODI format. In Test cricket, strong bodies and a well practiced individual are rewarded for bowlers. In batting, application and preparation are rewarded. In ODIs, harder to hone skills such as variations in length (sometimes not deliberate), unusual bowling styles and general natural proficiency at seeing a ball and hitting a ball are rewarded moreso (though, of course, not entirely).

Also. England aren't that **** at ODIs, they did maul India in England. Their loss did come against India in the very conditions in which they won the World Cup!
It depends on the player's natural tendencies as to whether they can moulded to Test or ODI cricket. It is certainly more difficult to succeed at Test level as it tests all facets of your game. As we've seen with some Indian players, they can look world beaters in ODI's, introduce the threat of more than the odd short ball on pitches with some bounce, and they're reduced to mediocre Test players.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Praveen Kumar playing Ranji while being 'rested' from the tests..?
Let it stay that way. He can get wickets AND runs.

The reason most agree on is that they want to give more chances to the real pacers, Aaron and Umesh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think it has anything to do with not being bothered. I think you underestimate just how much all the preperation, planning and winning in the Ashes series would have taken out of the players mentally. Ditto with the Indian team and the World Cup. The appropriate thing for both sides to do would have been to rest and recouperate, not play more cricket that the players simply weren't mentally equipped for. Granted, the IPL is much more meaningless than the World Cup but it's quite clear that India's efforts to win the World Cup at home took a huge toll on the players when you look at both the injury list and the form of the players in the Test series that followed. It's no coincidence that Dravid was India's best man over the two series that followed, because he'd had plenty of down time due to not being involved in the ODI setup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is Praveen Kumar playing Ranji while being 'rested' from the tests..?
I think the 'resting' has as much to do finding him a suitable new ball partner (or first change) for the tour of Australia and giving a couple of blokes a chance to make a claim (just as Praveen himself was able to on the tour of the West Indies) as the management of his fitness.

I myself find it disgraceful and a slap in the face for both the West Indies and Test cricket as a whole (I won't go all shivfan on y'all though I promise :ph34r:), but whether or not it's logical is debatable.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think the 'resting' has as much to do finding him a suitable new ball partner for the tour of Australia and giving a couple of blokes a chance to make a claim (just as Praveen himself was able to on the tour of the West Indies) as the management of his fitness.

I myself find it disgraceful and a slap in the face for both the West Indies and Test cricket as a whole (I won't go all shivfan on y'all though I promise :ph34r:), but whether or not it's logical is debatable.
It's logical until you remember that Ishant Sharma is carrying an ankle injury that he needs surgery on.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It depends on the player's natural tendencies as to whether they can moulded to Test or ODI cricket. It is certainly more difficult to succeed at Test level as it tests all facets of your game. As we've seen with some Indian players, they can look world beaters in ODI's, introduce the threat of more than the odd short ball on pitches with some bounce, and they're reduced to mediocre Test players.
Oh yeah. I'm not saying that Test cricket is easier than ODI cricket. I'm saying that infrastructure and coaching has more impact on Test players than ODI players, imo.

Let it stay that way. He can get wickets AND runs.

The reason most agree on is that they want to give more chances to the real pacers, Aaron and Umesh.
Are you serious?

Daemon

I don't think it has anything to do with not being bothered. I think you underestimate just how much all the preperation, planning and winning in the Ashes series would have taken out of the players mentally. Ditto with the Indian team and the World Cup. The appropriate thing for both sides to do would have been to rest and recouperate, not play more cricket that the players simply weren't mentally equipped for. Granted, the IPL is much more meaningless than the World Cup but it's quite clear that India's efforts to win the World Cup at home took a huge toll on the players when you look at both the injury list and the form of the players in the Test series that followed. It's no coincidence that Dravid was India's best man over the two series that followed, because he'd had plenty of down time due to not being involved in the ODI setup.
I guess 'cbf' was the wrong term, I meant exactly what you said; the players were basically so relieved at the end of the series after all the preparation that went into it that they were too drained to perform their best in the one dayers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you serious?
At least the latter part. It's a good thing they're making use of bowlers with real pace. A little backup, or even the option of pace or deck-hitting will do the team a lot of good.

Besides, why wouldn't you want Praveen to score runs? He'll get plenty of chances in Ranji, which won't come when he plays for India. It also helps (not) that he struggles on flat decks, so the best thing would be to play the next Test abroad, with wickets and runs in Ranji.

Daemon

At least the latter part. It's a good thing they're making use of bowlers with real pace. A little backup, or even the option of pace or deck-hitting will do the team a lot of good.

Besides, why wouldn't you want Praveen to score runs? He'll get plenty of chances in Ranji, which won't come when he plays for India. It also helps (not) that he struggles on flat decks, so the best thing would be to play the next Test abroad, with wickets and runs in Ranji.
Yeah, because he was picked on the basis of his performances on green tops throughout his FC career in the first place.

You can make an argument for saying that they left him out to blood the new pacer, but you can't be serious about him being a vastly inferior bowler to Yadav, flat pitches or not.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I refuse to believe that a bowler with as good a domestic FC record as Praveen struggles on flat decks.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, because he was picked on the basis of his performances on green tops throughout his FC career in the first place.

You can make an argument for saying that they left him out to blood the new pacer, but you can't be serious about him being a vastly inferior bowler to Yadav, flat pitches or not.
Agreed.

I refuse to believe that a bowler with as good a domestic FC record as Praveen struggles on flat decks.
Agreed.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Praveen has been playing non stop cricket after the WC got over (which he missed). He was rested from the first Ranji match and is now playing in the second round. He will be on the flight to Australia

Xuhaib

International Coach
it really grinds my gears when people automatically assume that a player with less pace will struggle on sub cont tracks remember people making the same call for Asif eventhough in FC cricket he averaged lower then Shoaib.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan domestic tracks seem to be seamer friendly from some of the scores seen, so that may not be the best example?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I am reminded of Uppercut's post in the player ratings thread when reading about needing fast bowlers:

Praveen 8- Bowled very effective nippers while his faster team mates got smashed, inevitably sparking calls for more faster bowlers.