• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Players do tend to become Hercules when they haven't played for a while. The WI may very well have won this series but dominated I don't think so.
I meant this particular lineup. India are playing a woefully understrength team.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you take into account how many times Sehwag's been dropped this series it looks worse. He is seriously out of form

On the positive side for India Rohit Sharma and Kholi are looking like the real deal

Would love to see Rohit get a run in the test side
He'll score a poultice of runs here if our blokes don't tuck him up.

sunilreddy

Banned
Seriously, Sehwag should retire from ODI's and concentrate on test cricket. We have good players in Utthappa, Rahane who are ready to open the batting in ODI's .

Last edited:

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Is there any reserve keeper in the Indian side instead of Parthiv Patel? The guy seriously should pack back home.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Seriously, Sehwag should retire from ODI's and concentrate on test cricket. We have good players in Utthappa, Rahane who are ready to open the batting in ODI's .
Not the worst idea I have ever heard. Gambhir could have captained the team this series (despite his **** form) and Sehwag could have gone to Australia early.

shankar

International Debutant
Not really worried about Gambhir. He doesn't look out of touch, just hasn't got the big innings. Sehwag on the other hand has been really scratchy and admitted it himself last match.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Sammy should bat higher, Sammy at 5 would be much better, he needs to contribute more with the bat and I don't think no. 7 or 8 is an ideal position for him. His captaincy is not bad at all, but i guess he needs to take his batting more seriously.
and WI bowling is looking really good, they are having good variety in pace bowling and Bishoo and Narine are both decent spinners, maybe this bowling lineup will become one of the strongest bowling lineups in the coming years.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indians took just one wicket (Ashwin got it) in the overs shared by Ashwin, Raina and Jadeja. That's rather poor, given how often they've snared early wickets otherwise, and is largely responsible for the same new-ball bowlers getting smashed in the final overs. Yet, nothing has been done about this weakness, and they persist with (more or less) part-timers running through the overs without chipping off a wicket. Inside of India, they'd do well to have a second spinner, such as Rahul Sharma, who's in this squad, or so many other Indian spinners. They can swap Sharma for Jadeja in the last two games, and it will help.

Why, oh, why, do they still think Mithun is international standard? He offers nothing to his place in the side. After all-
  • Vinay Kumar and Pankaj Singh are more experienced at least in domestic games. Mithun hasn't even finished five seasons.
  • Vinay Kumar and Pankaj Singh can bat a lot better.
  • Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron have serious pace.
  • You still have Balaji to choose. Still chipping away wickets.
  • You will get Irfan back at the end of the season.
  • You still have Ishant Sharma, who's taller, gets better bounce, bowls faster and is a current international.
  • Much of what Mithun can do can also be done by some batsmen who can bowl seam-up.

The option of Rahane or Robin Uthappa as a stand-in keeper should be explored, next time Dhoni opts out. Why, even Dinesh Karthik has been scoring well this Ranji and should have been in the running.

These two issues should be thought of, not Sehwag's poor form- he can smash his way back into form, as also Gambhir, who's still got a chance of sneaking back amongst the runs..

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think you can necessarily blame the spinners for the seam bowlers coughing up 14-15 an over at the death. That's just poor bowling. I think India could easily fit in Rahul Sharma for the pie-chucking seamer, given both him and Ashwin can bowl with the new ball or near new ball. Although I suppose in that situation it would tempting to have a seam bowling all-rounder instead of Jadeja. I think dropping Jadeja would be harsh though, but he's doing a role with the ball that many of India's batsman could do.

In other news apparently Andrew Symonds has been named in India's version of Celebrity Big Brother.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sammy should bat higher, Sammy at 5 would be much better, he needs to contribute more with the bat and I don't think no. 7 or 8 is an ideal position for him. His captaincy is not bad at all, but i guess he needs to take his batting more seriously.
and WI bowling is looking really good, they are having good variety in pace bowling and Bishoo and Narine are both decent spinners, maybe this bowling lineup will become one of the strongest bowling lineups in the coming years.
Yeah but he can't bat. Has one decent slog in about every 15 games (scored under 4 nine times in last 15 ODI innings). Russell is the better batsman but in saying that when you got Pollard, Ramdin, Samuels, Hyatt and the rest all batting in the top order, then Sammy at 5 isn't that crazy and it looks less silly having a number 8 who bowls 1 overs.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I gotta admit, having both Irfan Pathan and Ravindra Jadeja in the side makes our side look pretty solid on paper, balance wise anyways. Some interesting calls to make once MSD, Yuvi and Sachin come back to the ODI set up. Raina / Rohit competing for the lower order positions you feel.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Poor Ian Bishop got hit on the head by a ball from net practice while he was talking during pre show, hope he is fine

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Sehwag wins the toss again, Sammy couldnt believe he has lost the toss once again, he didnt even shook hands with Sehwag, he was so distraught :laugh::laugh:

India will bat first, pathan is not playing, Rahul sharma is included in the playing XI