• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SpaceMonkey said:
Well i think it was attack that contributed, he was obviously putting his weight on the back foot so he could play more cuts at the shorter balls, then he got owned by little foot movement when harmi threw in the yorker.
Also Flintoff is as attacking as they come and even he has shown lately that you dont have to throw the bat at everything and still score at a good rate.
Gayle always has his weight on the back foot. Hence his problems on seaming pitches and to full swinging deliveries. Don't even begin to compare Gayle and Flintoff because Flintoff has better footwork and technique as far as I'm concerned. He's not necessarily a more effective batsman though, because Gayle's unorthodox fashion can be devastating.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
the chasing 418 vs Australia..well WI had so much more time in which to do that
True, but they finished it early on the fifth day, meaning they played well enough not to utilize all that time.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
In my opinion, WI would be foolish to go for these runs, coz if they do, they WILL lose the game.
I wouldn't say that at all. The West Indies went after a large total against South Africa last year (420/30odd or thereabout, my memory fails) and ended needing around 100 from the last 12-15 overs until Dwayne Smith and Ridley Jacobs closed up shop. IMO they should have gone for it then and if they have a similar situation this time. I think they will at least until Jacobs gets out. Banks is capable of defending and Collins and Edwards are too, if they put their minds to it. They've done it before to save Tests.

All in all, Lara undoubtedly has to be there at least until after tea for the West Indies to have a chance of winning and likely also to draw it. You can tell that Lara wants to save this Test badly. He'll play it as it comes. If there's a chance for victory, they'll go for it with caution still in mind. I'd love to see WI pull out a draw if only to stick it to the annoyingly over-confident England supporters.

Trump cards to England.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
You cant blame us for getting ****y, this is the first time in my lifetime of remembering english cricket that we've actually had more teams worse than us in the world than better :) im damn well gonna make the most of it while it lasts! :p :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not sold on Rob Key, but I think Andrew Strauss is a terrific opening prospect for England even if he is nearing 28 or 29?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SpaceMonkey said:
You cant blame us for getting ****y, this is the first time in my lifetime of remembering english cricket that we've actually had more teams worse than us in the world than better :) im damn well gonna make the most of it while it lasts! :p :D
Be careful! That is how Australian's though 20 odd years ago, now look at us...according to most of the English were are a bunch of arrogant sods. You wouldn't want to be like an Australian would you? :huh:

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
True, but they finished it early on the fifth day, meaning they played well enough not to utilize all that time.
WI may well have fiished it early but time was never an issue in that game,hence the pressure of keeping the run rate up wasnt an issue,therefore the pressure wasnt as great

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes, but it was the last over before lunch!
Which makes it even more baffling in that sense. But credit to Banks for flighting it up after being hit for six.

Craig

World Traveller
Tom Halsey said:
Yep.

What a shot to reach your half century with.
Yeah it was a simple catch that most people will catch it anyday of the week.

Maybe the WICB should consider appionting Roger Harper as a fielding coach? Their fielding on occasions is a joke.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Lara has enough batting left to do the miracle.

Bravo, Jacobs & Banks are solid but there's no doubt Lara will have to do the majority of the run-scoring (which of course he's been known to do in previous matches)

Craig

World Traveller
I think Key should get the award (Man of the Match) or he should share it with Vaughan.

I think for the second Test, I would replace Omari Banks and Fidel Edwards for Corey Collymore and Jermain Lawson and go with an all seam line-up.

I know Banks has batted well, but he has not bowled well.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I think Key should get the award (Man of the Match) or he should share it with Vaughan.

I think for the second Test, I would replace Omari Banks and Fidel Edwards for Corey Collymore and Jermain Lawson and go with an all seam line-up.

Don't discount Lara or Chanderpaul. This match is not over yet. ;)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
Are you watching a different game to me, then?

He has bowled well with a lot of flight and surprising turn, and was highly unlucky.