• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Swervy

International Captain
Revelation said:
A draw perhaps? :):):)
maybe...but England need only 6 wickets in 77 overs.

I think WI only hope is the weather,but even then I dont expect anything more than a few overs will be lost

Craig

World Traveller
Tom Halsey said:
Are you watching a different game to me, then?

He has bowled well with a lot of flight and surprising turn, and was highly unlucky.
So going at over 5 and 6 an over is bowling well?

Lesson number 1 on Cricket Web - People have a thousands excuses for everything.

A batsman could make 4 ducks in a row in Test cricket and somebody will still claim that he has been unlucky or a bowler has been bowling too well.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Craig said:
I think Key should get the award (Man of the Match) or he should share it with Vaughan.

I think for the second Test, I would replace Omari Banks and Fidel Edwards for Corey Collymore and Jermain Lawson and go with an all seam line-up.

I know Banks has batted well, but he has not bowled well.
Best is injured remember and didnt bowl in the 2nd innings so he may not be fit for the 2nd test.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Yeah it was a simple catch that most people will catch it anyday of the week.

Maybe the WICB should consider appionting Roger Harper as a fielding coach? Their fielding on occasions is a joke.
Roger Harper used to coach the West Indies team and didn't do too much in the fielding department then.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:

Lesson number 1 on Cricket Web - People have a thousands excuses for everything.

A batsman could make 4 ducks in a row in Test cricket and somebody will still claim that he has been unlucky or a bowler has been bowling too well.
Banks actually bowled quite well in the second innings. The batsmen got after him early in the first innings and never allowed him to settle. He then started to bowl flat and consequently dragged the ball down shorter and was punished. In the second innings he flighted it nicely and found a rather nice area to land it and looked quite good, even though he was wicketless.

Don't compare Giles with Banks because Giles has had substantial rough to work with throughout the match whereas Banks, as a right-arm offspinner, didn't.

Best may not be fit for the next game, so Collymore will probably come in for him and Lawson in for Edwards. IMO Edwards is best left to find rhythm against the County sides than at international level.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:

He has bowled well with a lot of flight and surprising turn, and was highly unlucky.
'Tis human nature to criticize. Craig obviously only observed the low points of the game for Banks rather than the high points in the second innings.

Yes Craig, there are two innings in a match.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:

That, my friend, is one of the most blinkered posts I have seen in my short time on these boards. Did you even watch the match?

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
I'm sorry, but I can't see them surviving on that pitch now for a whole day, and chase a record score. The pitch is playing all sorts of tricks now.
actually this wicket is almost a carbon copy of the one where england chased 284 on. yes the ball is turning but quite frankly if the WI batsman are good enough players of spin bowling i dont think they should have too many problems with ashley giles.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
actually this wicket is almost a carbon copy of the one where england chased 284 on. yes the ball is turning but quite frankly if the WI batsman are good enough players of spin bowling i dont think they should have too many problems with ashley giles.
Are you watching it?

Lara, described as the best player of spin bowling by both Warne and Murali, has got out to a beast of a ball from Giles. If he is the best, frankly I can't see anyone else doing brilliantly.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
Are you not watching the game? Lara and Bravo gone to Giles and Jacobs gone to Hoggard. It's not exactly easy sailing atm.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:
Are you watching it?

Lara, described as the best player of spin bowling by both Warne and Murali, has got out to a beast of a ball from Giles. If he is the best, frankly I can't see anyone else doing brilliantly.
That was not a beast of a ball. That was a decent ball into the rough and Lara played an awful shot. If you consider that to be an excellent deliver (excellent bowling, but not an amazing delivery), you have a lot to learn about cricket.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
When I have had the opporunity to, yes.
Then you have no reason to criticise Banks' bowling. Figures wise it isn't brilliant, but if you flight it, drift it, spin it, and bowl with reasonable accuracy as he did in the second innings, you're not doing badly.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:

not really....i dont think he ever looked like taking wickets at all.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That was not a beast of a ball. That was a decent ball into the rough and Lara played an awful shot. If you consider that to be an excellent deliver (excellent bowling, but not an amazing delivery), you have a lot to learn about cricket.
That is a typical off spinners wicket. True, if Lara had stayed in his crease, bloced it, and played for a draw, like he should have, he probably wouldn't have got out. But you have to give Giles credit for flighting it, and tempting him. It was a beast of a ball, even if Giles doesn't deserve all of the credit, the pitch does.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
That doesn't mean he's not bowled well. He never really had much to work with on a pitch that hasn't turned much except out of the rough.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
Because for the most part he was bowling to settled batsmen. Whenever he bowled to new batsmen, he looked dangerous.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
'Tis human nature to criticize. Craig obviously only observed the low points of the game for Banks rather than the high points in the second innings.

Yes Craig, there are two innings in a match.
Like I say the only thing that will make sure he is in the team for the second Test will be of his batting.

2-131 off 22 overs, and 0-92 off 26 overs is not great bowling. Saying otherwise is nonsense.

And before you coment on Banks flighting the ball etc. then I think bowlers should show some more variation by bowling a little flatter if it would work and there is nothing wrong with trying, or an arm-ball etc.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:
That is a typical off spinners wicket. True, if Lara had stayed in his crease, bloced it, and played for a draw, like he should have, he probably wouldn't have got out. But you have to give Giles credit for flighting it, and tempting him. It was a beast of a ball, even if Giles doesn't deserve all of the credit, the pitch does.
It was not a beast of a ball for the simple reason that if Lara had stayed where he was it is extremely unlikely he would not have been dismissed or even troubled. A 'beast of a ball' is one that is so good that it would have gotten the batsman out if he had played at least reasonable shot, not a horrible shot through the covers. As I said, you have a lot to learn.