• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Swervy

International Captain
sarwan out....even if Lara and Gayle put on 250 now before lunch I would still probably back England

PY

International Coach
Alright, I've had enough....where's the real Swervy gone?

A Yorkshireman could never be that optimistic. I demand his return......

Briedis

Cricket Spectator
Chris Gayle

This is a really big chance for Gayle. If he can occupy the crease and help the Windies avoid defeat here with Lara I think it will be a big step in his career.

Swervy

International Captain
PY said:
Alright, I've had enough....where's the real Swervy gone?

A Yorkshireman could never be that optimistic. I demand his return......

hhahahaha...hey I am not a Yorkshireman.

I am just being realistic...WI have no chance whatsoever of winning this game.

Wonder what odds you could get at the bookies on a WI win!!!!

Swervy

International Captain
Swervy said:

I am just being realistic...WI have no chance whatsoever of winning this game.

Wonder what odds you could get at the bookies on a WI win!!!!
in answer to my question...15/1 for WI win(Bet365)...which is a bit tight really.

ladbrokes are offering 20/1

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Another 50 for Gayle, albeit via an edge between 'keeper and slip. 50 off 53 this innings, 50 off 44 in the first... might be playing for a draw, but certainly not going to be defensive.
Thorpe drops a tough chance off Gayle, twice in the over Harmison could have got him.

PY

International Coach
Swervy said:
Been breathing Yorkshire air and drinking Yorkshire water.....I'd still expect you to be predicting England to lose by the end of today. :p

Swervy

International Captain
PY said:
Been breathing Yorkshire air and drinking Yorkshire water.....I'd still expect you to be predicting England to lose by the end of today. :p

only live about 10 miles from the Lancashire border,THE superior county,and so when the wind comes from the west it has blown over from the more rational Lancashire :D

Swervy

International Captain
Swervy said:
in answer to my question...15/1 for WI win(Bet365)...which is a bit tight really.

ladbrokes are offering 20/1

for some reason WI are now 16/1 to win with ladbrokes

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Depressingly familiar pattern to the start of this series.

West Indies turn up a day late, their fielding is amateurish and the batsmen make the same old mistakes.

Meanwhile, umpires continue to redefine the meaning of the word "elite" and English commentators continue to get carried away by England's efficient, if hardly awe-inspiring, march to another test win over mediocre opposition.

Swervy

International Captain
garage flower said:
Depressingly familiar pattern to the start of this series.

West Indies turn up a day late, their fielding is amateurish and the batsmen make the same old mistakes.

Meanwhile, umpires continue to redefine the meaning of the word "elite" and English commentators continue to get carried away by England's efficient, if hardly awe-inspiring, march to another test win over mediocre opposition.
well yeah, that Chanderpaul catch was daft...but then again,, it was so obvious, shouldnt Chanderpaul have walked????.

I dont think the English commentators have got carried away...England in all honesty have completely outplayed WI...and have done what has been required so far on a pretty dead wicket. If England can get the last 7 wickets tomorrow, it will have been a great effort to have gotten 20 wickets to win the game on that pitch

biased indian

International Coach
garage flower said:
English commentators continue to get carried away by England's efficient, if hardly awe-inspiring, march to another test win over mediocre opposition.
"what a great appeal" i heard bob w saying this on sky yesterday when giles was appealing for a lbw when the bowl hit the batsmen outside the off stump clearly,and all of them knew that and bob was serious here and not making fun

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
"what a great appeal" i heard bob w saying this on sky yesterday when giles was appealing for a lbw when the bowl hit the batsmen outside the off stump clearly,and all of them knew that and bob was serious here and not making fun
argh well I am talking about the Channel 4 commentary

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I would be prepared to either:

a) Eat my computer
b) Shot myself
c) Eat my computer

If the West Indies win tomorrow.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
I would be prepared to either:

a) Eat my computer
b) Shot myself
c) Eat my computer

If the West Indies win tomorrow.
If the West Indies bat to the close tomorrow and we see at least 90 overs, they will win. That comment indicates that England are almost certain to win.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Revelation said:
Chanderpaul only struck some decent form against Sri Lanka A. Lara has been in form since the 400*, or have you forgotten the 113 ret hurt (in a First Class tour game) just a week ago?

But by your logic, Chanderpaul wouldn't have stayed there long as he's been in shocking form, yet he has.

What's to say that Lara would definitely have stayed in a long time just because he had been in good form previously?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara has scored runs in all but 1 tour match so far (from memory) in that time he's scored 2 blazing centuries. In the ODI series he also looked in good touch on most occasions and was certainly not troubled in his stay at the crease on Friday.

Chanderpaul has been in poor for yes, but he's now score consecutive FC hundreds and more than the stats, the nature of his 1st innings hundred is very encouraging. He's definitely found form and some confidence.

Yes, but the point was that Chanderpaul's Test form (which is what was being used in the case of Lara to say he'd have batted for a long time) is poor, yet he's batted well in this match.

The beauty of Cricket is that players can have these peaks and troughs seemingly without reasoning, so there is no way of saying Lara would've batted on the rest of the day had he not been given out.