• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
i think it was a big mistake to bowl him, its imperative that he remains fit for the more important series against SA and australia......
Who's to say he isn't fit?

One thing you can say about this England management is that if someone isn't fit to bowl, they have no hesitation in resting them till they are (such as Jones after the 1st Test against NZ and Flintoff in the Natwest)

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Chanderpaul only struck some decent form against Sri Lanka A. Lara has been in form since the 400*, or have you forgotten the 113 ret hurt (in a First Class tour game) just a week ago?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Three down for England this morning, Trescothick bowled, Strauss pulling a shortish ball to square, Key runout in a really bad mixup with Vaughan. Will be interesting to see when England declare, if at all. West Indies aren't the worst at fourth innings chases - the 418 vs. Australia of course, but they also got to 5/354 chasing 441 in the drawn Test in South Africa.

PY

International Coach
Vaughan is running like a donkey at the moment, just trying to be too positive. Needs to think about it and chat with Thorpe and decide what to do.

Dermot Reeve has got it spot on with the use of the 'waiting' call. I use it all the time as it allows your partner to be ready to respond but doesn't commit him to having to run. Take out the calling and Vaughan has looked very good this morning.

Plus Thorpe is perfect for this situation, experienced and someone who uses weight of shot to get the two instead of the singles.

Craig

World Traveller
badgerhair said:
You and I might think that, but that's not how Duncan Fletcher thinks, going by reports.

Key was picked as the replacement for Butcher partly because he had considerable county form this year but at least partly because he did better than Collingwood in the ODIs (for interesting values of "better").

Amidsst all the talk of who we're going to drop when Butcher recovers, spare a thought for Collingwood, who must have heard the news of Key's growing innings with mounting dismay as he saw his chances of a Test career receding faster than Phil Tufnell from a fast bowler.

Cheers,

Mike
I wouldn't say Paul Collingwood's Test career is over yet or anything of the sort.

Kevin Pietersen is average around 47 in CC, and at this stage he would be a certainty for one of the batting spot in the tour party to South Africa, and if they do what they suspect they will, and take seven batsmen, Robert Key would be ahead of Collingwood for the final batting spot at this stage.

Craig

World Traveller
Adamc said:
Three down for England this morning, Trescothick bowled, Strauss pulling a shortish ball to square, Key runout in a really bad mixup with Vaughan. Will be interesting to see when England declare, if at all. West Indies aren't the worst at fourth innings chases - the 418 vs. Australia of course, but they also got to 5/354 chasing 441 in the drawn Test in South Africa.
I think a total between 350-400 would be the target at least.

If possible I would declare with 1-7 overs left, so with two gone for the change of innings, I would have ten to 5 overs to bowl at them, and given they won't be interested in scoring a lot of runs (well except Gayle maybe), it is a chance of picking up a wicket or two. And Ashley Giles would be worth a bowl as well ( one or two overs depending on the overs bowled in the evening).

And there I would have a whole day to bowl out the WI who will more then likely go for a draw.

Well that is what I would do.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Interesting how you use Lara's recent form (although it's a fair while ago) to say that he would've probably have still been batting, yet ignore that prior to this game Chanderpaul was out of form, so by rights he wouldn't have been not out.

The beauty of the game of cricket, is that predictions cannot be made with any real certainty based on past form.
Lara has scored runs in all but 1 tour match so far (from memory) in that time he's scored 2 blazing centuries. In the ODI series he also looked in good touch on most occasions and was certainly not troubled in his stay at the crease on Friday.

Chanderpaul has been in poor for yes, but he's now score consecutive FC hundreds and more than the stats, the nature of his 1st innings hundred is very encouraging. He's definitely found form and some confidence.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
PY said:
That's what I'd like to see but would be possibly dangerous as WI could get those runs on this surface if Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Gayle get in and playing shots.
The pitch is beginning to play some serious tricks now, though, especially for the spinners.

Vaughan and Giles (quite blatantly the greatest soinner ever to grace the game) in tandem anyone?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Who's to say he isn't fit?
is he fully fit though?if he was then he would have been cleared to bowl at the start of the test. i for one wouldnt want to risk our most valuable player against WI when we desperately need him for SA and australia

tooextracool

International Coach
im not watching the game but his 2 innings in the match it does appear like flintoff is trying to slog everything out of the park.....i wonder how long it will take flintoff to realise that even if he plays his natural game, he'll still end up going at a run a ball on this wicket.

PY

International Coach
Marvelous 50 from Freddie.

Well done old chap. :)
7 on the fence for Freddie and 6 on the fence for Vaughan.

Captain's performance.....hats off to Michael Vaughan.

Last edited: