• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
500/6 and surely a declaration soon. Perhaps they'll give Banks a shot at a hundred.

Jacobs on 100 not out
Banks on 75 not out from 69 balls - 8 fours and 5 sixes

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The kind of control Logie would like is in regard to selection, not coaching. I see where he's coming from too.
But didn't he opt out of the selection panel at some stage? I can't remember the exact context of the comments I'm talking about, but I think he was alluding to Lara ignoring pre-determined tactics and perhaps the former manager's influence.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Add Peng to that. He looked a million dollars when he first broke onto the scene, but he's struggled to make over 20 in an innings over the last 2 years :(

Hildreth of Somerset looks very good tho, and more importantly he's getting the scores too. Lets hope he carries this on for the rest of the season and into next year.
As for Shafayat he did look good but from the start looked like a great leg side player but hopeless outside off stump, you can forgive a 16yo that but he seems to be still the same even now.

Mutchell of Durham looks good too, bit inconsistent but he does get the occasional good score.
Everyone gets the occasional good score.
Gordon Muchall will be one lucky bugger if he gets another 2 years as a professional. IMO he's nowhere near county standard.
Nicky Peng Gillender was a good example of the typical English thing to put too much emphasis on u19 cricket. I don't, personally, think he's county standard either, though he did have a short spell of success in one-day cricket in 2001. My Dad always said he was good, but only by RGS standards.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Edwards getting murdered!!

9.5-0-80-1!!!
It really is sad when you see this sort of thing happening to bowlers like Edwards who could be so much better.
I sincerely hope for the greatest good of cricket that Edwards does not play in the First Test. Or the Second, for that matter.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Richard said:
It really is sad when you see this sort of thing happening to bowlers like Edwards who could be so much better.
I sincerely hope for the greatest good of cricket that Edwards does not play in the First Test. Or the Second, for that matter.
I said prev that Edward would probably miss out and the 3 would be Collings / Best / Lawson. This was before those rather unfortunate figures. England will be hope he plays though i bet :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i guess youd have to say that england would win... i just can see the west indian bowlers getting anywhere!! best is the only par performer really, though ive always liked lawson...

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Holding and Walsh did some work with Best during or before the Natwest series. The results were clearly evident as Best looked quite promising.
Can you shed any light on why Winston Benjamin wasn't reappionted please?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Can you shed any light on why Winston Benjamin wasn't reappionted please?
It was Kenny Benjamin.

As posted earlier, I think the official WICB line was that Logie hadn't specifically asked for a bowling coach on this tour. I seem to remember reading some criticism of Benjamin during the Southern Africa tours though, so I'd guess there's a bit more too it.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
i guess youd have to say that england would win... i just can see the west indian bowlers getting anywhere!! best is the only par performer really, though ive always liked lawson...
Collins was probably the most consistent bowler during the course of this season's home tests.

I think it's a case of the flatter the wickets, the better West Indies will fare.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
The fact that Jehan Mubarak took to Edwards is not a good sign....
Can't imagine there's any chance of "Castro" being picked now. Lawson, Best and Collins will almost certainly form the attack, supplemented by Bravo and Banks.

The latter two will need to bowl really well this series. If they can provide control to complement Lawson and Best's aggression and chip in with a few wickets, Windies should do ok.

I'm worried that Vaughan and Trescothick may hit form. If they start plastering the quicks to all parts, the inexperienced attack may crack.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Clearly Edwards is not fit as yet and should not play until he is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
Collins was probably the most consistent bowler during the course of this season's home tests.

I think it's a case of the flatter the wickets, the better West Indies will fare.
Then again, the faults in the West Indian batting which were exposed on seaming and bouncy wickets will only be corrected if they play more cricket on seaming and bouncy wickets. Hence the losses are essentially learning experiences.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
It was Kenny Benjamin.

As posted earlier, I think the official WICB line was that Logie hadn't specifically asked for a bowling coach on this tour. I seem to remember reading some criticism of Benjamin during the Southern Africa tours though, so I'd guess there's a bit more too it.
Whether or not Logie asked for a bowling coach, there is no excuse not to send one. Logie is in the employ of the WICB and unless he specifically said that he does not want a bowling coach, there should be no strain on the conscience of the board to send one.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Then again, the faults in the West Indian batting which were exposed on seaming and bouncy wickets will only be corrected if they play more cricket on seaming and bouncy wickets. Hence the losses are essentially learning experiences.
True, but I'd still be happy to see 4 flat-ish tracks and less "learning experiences" in the forthcoming series.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Whether or not Logie asked for a bowling coach, there is no excuse not to send one. Logie is in the employ of the WICB and unless he specifically said that he does not want a bowling coach, there should be no strain on the conscience of the board to send one.
Yes, as hinted at earlier, I think the Board's statment was a bit of a smokescreen and perhaps an attempt to make Logie the scapegoat for what was always likely to be an unpopular decision.