• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
garage flower said:
True, but I'd still be happy to see 4 flat-ish tracks and less "learning experiences" in the forthcoming series.
IMO it wouldn't benefit us as much because we won't get flat track all over the world.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
IMO it wouldn't benefit us as much because we won't get flat track all over the world.
The point I'm making is it would be nice to get a result in this series, which seems more likely on flatter tracks. If Harmison, in particular, is on form it's likely to be a testing series for the batsmen, BCL excepted perhaps, even on benign surfaces. The team doesn't need another thrashing, particularly with the Aussies and South Africa on the horizon.

In terms of longer term development, the moves to revamp the domestic competition and the coaching/management structure are more important. The proposed format, including home and away fixtures and less teams, should prove to be a rare example of increasing both the quantity and quality of domestic cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
The team doesn't need another thrashing, particularly with the Aussies and South Africa on the horizon.
AFAIK the tour of Australia has been postponed indefinitely and there's speculation that it won't come off until closer the next World Cup if not after.

Craig

World Traveller
Mark Butcher is in doubt for the first Test after being involved in a car accident. Robert Key is on standby.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The S.L 'A' side is fairly similar to the one that toured NZ earlier in the year. Except both Malinga & Maharoof were in the squad & they're now both with Sri Lanka.

They were done 3-0 in the 5 day tests (on generous batting wickets) & then lost 2-0 (1 match rained off) in the ODI's which followed.

They're still a competitive side, but by no means a decent indication of form. Although having said that, both Chris Martin & James Franklin enjoyed some kind of success after they played S.L 'A'.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I think Benjamin made some comments about Edwards and Jerome Taylor aftre thier good performances against Sri Lanka.Spomething about them not playing FC cricket and working on conditioning and strength.He seems to have been right has Edwards has been injury riddled and bowling way below par.Taylor is now out of contention for a spot for some while following his injury and sub-standard bowling since.That looks to have contributed to his demise.Still no excuse for not hiring a bowling coach.Walsh worked with them before the home sries and they looked much better than in SA.Surely someone of his rep or certification can be hired.The ex-players are willing to help but they're not being given the opportunity.

roseboy64

On another note good to see Wavell Hinds and Marlon Samuels getting in some good performances.If Hinds can find some form it would help that opening spot seeing that Ganga can't cut it.Samuels offers some sensible batting and experience even though he's that young.Kinda like a Sarwan or Lara down the order to either speed up the scoring rate or save the innings.They both also offer some bowling options with Hinds being the better to slow down the scoring similar to Collymore.Hinds also can bat anywhere in the order.Good competition is always good seeing that the players are young and can rebound if dropped(hopefully).

roseboy64

It's more sensible than Dwayne Smith's and he did make a triple century which didn't include a whole lot of boundaries i think.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
It's more sensible than Dwayne Smith's and he did make a triple century which didn't include a whole lot of boundaries i think.
That doesn't say much on either count. Dwayne Smith is an extreme case and that triple hundred came at a low level of cricket.

roseboy64

It still took some concentration.It's not as if he'd been playing for months on end was in great form.A lot of guys come from playing Test cricket and make you wonder why they're regulars in the Test and ODI teams by their performances at the lower level.You still have to go out there and do it.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
roseboy64 said:
On another note good to see Wavell Hinds and Marlon Samuels getting in some good performances.
They've both been missed in the 1-day set up and it's a shame Samuels' injury flared up again when it did because, with hindsight, he would have been on the verge of getting a good run in the test side.

Be interesting to see whether either figure in the ICC trophy, or whatever it's called this week (I think they're both in the provisional squad).

Craig

World Traveller
roseboy64 said:
I think Benjamin made some comments about Edwards and Jerome Taylor aftre thier good performances against Sri Lanka.Spomething about them not playing FC cricket and working on conditioning and strength.He seems to have been right has Edwards has been injury riddled and bowling way below par.Taylor is now out of contention for a spot for some while following his injury and sub-standard bowling since.That looks to have contributed to his demise.Still no excuse for not hiring a bowling coach.Walsh worked with them before the home sries and they looked much better than in SA.Surely someone of his rep or certification can be hired.The ex-players are willing to help but they're not being given the opportunity.
Most countries would kill to have the amount of West Indies and all-time cricketing greats just wanting to help out, yet because they won't accreditation because of pride and principal and so there fore they go through their non playing days and not being given the chance to contribute because of red tape.

I am willing to wager that Sir Viv Richards or Gorden Greenidge know more about batting then some of those in the WICB.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Craig, that's stating the obvious.WI cricket is embroiled in too much politics, the latest result of which saw Trinidad being awarded the worst package of WC 2007. Even St. Kitts and St. Lucia were given much better packages, the former yet to host an international (ODI or Test) match. This after the Queen's Park Oval was deemed the most ready ground in the Caribbean to stage matches.

roseboy64

Trinidad got the worst package because you didn't bid for any packages.It's because the Queen's Park Oval is such a good ground why you even got any matches.I'm sure the USA would have been higher on the list than you guys if it wasn't for T&T's status in West Indies cricket.Jamaica,Barbados and the other countries said specifically what they wanted and they got it because they looked they serious about it.If it wasn't for the above stated reasons i'm sure Ja's second bid would have been given that spot but that would make it look pretty bad so you were given a "pity spot".

roseboy64

Revelation said:
Craig, that's stating the obvious.WI cricket is embroiled in too much politics, the latest result of which saw Trinidad being awarded the worst package of WC 2007. Even St. Kitts and St. Lucia were given much better packages, the former yet to host an international (ODI or Test) match. This after the Queen's Park Oval was deemed the most ready ground in the Caribbean to stage matches.
You're stating the obvious with seeing that you're part of the obvious that's why you can see it so clearly.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
hold on hold on.....that's EXACTLY what i meant. I didn't mean that the WICB was at fault. You should be in T&T. PM Manning and his cohorts are taking such a licking it's not funny.you know that the entire thing had to be underwritten by the respective gov'ts and T&T's gov't quite simply played politics with the people of T&T nad the WC.