• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
Also, Lawson got the mighty wickets of John Stephenson (of Essex - should tell you how good he is) and Sven Koenig. Thorpe just got too rash, considering 32 from 39 balls. Bravo also got Mike Powell, though I doubt highly how good he is as a batsman.

This game won't tell anything IMO.
Would you have preferred we play against Kent or Surrey? It's a warmup game. It's intended to allow players to warmup and the bowling attack of the MCC is not half-bad. No warmup game is a true prediction of what will occur in international cricket.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Well, you couldn't have played Kent, cos Jehan Mubarak and Bathiya Perera are smacking them about :)

Bowling attack isn't half bad, I can agree. I was commenting on the batting though, and anyway, my point was that Bravo and Lawson getting two wickets each in a warm-up game means nought.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But surely you can't deny that both bowled rather well largely throughout the Natwest series? Therefore I don't see the relevance of the point. It's not as though they're out of form per se and both are capable bowlers.

Bravo has 48 FC wickets @ 21.12 with 3x5w.
Lawson has 98 FC wickets @ 27.62 with 3x5w.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yup, apart from 0/80 from Bravo I can agree. Not Bravo's fault they lost the final either. We'll see in the Tests though, which is a whole different ball game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think people expect too much from Dwayne Bravo at this stage in his career. Keep in mind that he's just 20 years old. He may not be sensational in the Test series, if he even does play, but I don't think anyone can deny that he has both the talent and the desire to play at the top level. Most players reach their peak in their late 20s, so we shouldn't put too much pressure on him with our expectations as yet.

Craig

World Traveller
Liam what was Lara's injury?

Hand, arm, back or hamstring related?

Now did Dwayne Smith pick up a hat-trick?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I though he just had a cold or something. :blink:
Dwayne Smith didn't take a hattrick. If you look at the scorecard, Hoggard lasted 2 balls.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Looks like an interesting climax is in store. MCC 170-odd for 5, needing approx 100 more for victory.

Worryingly, 8 scores of 3 or less in Windies' 2nd innings.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Ta da, Windies win... by 29 runs. Batting looks as though it needs alot of work before the first test. Edwards didn't pick up a wicket, rather worryingly.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dwayne Bravo and Dwayne Smith picked up injuries in the field during the MCC 1st innings. Bravo is uncertain to be 100% by the 1st Test it seems.

Smith got a cut on his inner thigh by his spikes whilst sliding and Bravo picked up a groin strain whilst jumping over a chair and crashing into a picnic table chasing a ball to the ropes.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Interestingly, WI only beat MCC by 25 runs, whereas my school beat them by 7 wickets the other day...:p
Interestingly, the MCC has many teams playing all over the country and selects its sides to match the quality of opposition. Your school probably played against local club cricketers

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
superkingdave said:
Interestingly, the MCC has many teams playing all over the country and selects its sides to match the quality of opposition. Your school probably played against local club cricketers
I think he knew that and was being sarcastic :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Ta da, Windies win... by 29 runs. Batting looks as though it needs alot of work before the first test. Edwards didn't pick up a wicket, rather worryingly.
Not a convincing performance from what was 8/11 of the test side, but we probably shouldn't read too much into it. Apparently Lara wasn't happy with the standard of the MCC side when he saw the teamsheet, so it's a good job WI won. From an England viewpoint, Hoggard's performance was good news. Not sure how fit Jones is yet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

More like 6/11 of the Test side, with Bravo, DwSmith, Lawson, Banks and Baugh by no means certainties.