• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
IMO Tino Best will be the best WI bowler.

I saw him last year on his Test debut v Australia at Barbados, I saw there was potential there if he could fix his run up and his delievery jump, and to his credit he has.

How fit is Simon Jones?

If not James Anderson should play ahead of him.
Jones played for Glamorgan against SL 'A' - and got dispatched all over Cardiff. Unfortunately Glam don't have any 4-day games before the 1st test due to the 20/20 tournament.

Personally I'd play Anderson ahead of Hoggard anyway.

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Yup. I was pleased to hear him recognise that he wasn't bowling at his best. His attitude is *so* much better nowadays.

Anyway Marc, time to get off the fence. Which 2 from Jones, Hoggard & Anderson should support SH, assuming they're all fit?
if jones is fit....not just fit but match fit then he should be part of the starting lineup. if you ask me, he has more potential than hoggard,anderson and flintoff combined and provides some well needed variety into the attack. between anderson and hoggard it really doesnt matter because i dont think either of them would fair better.....but the selectors will pick hoggard ahead of anderson.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
if jones is fit....not just fit but match fit then he should be part of the starting lineup. if you ask me, he has more potential than hoggard,anderson and flintoff combined and provides some well needed variety into the attack. between anderson and hoggard it really doesnt matter because i dont think either of them would fair better.....but the selectors will pick hoggard ahead of anderson.
I'm struggling to see how Jones will be match fit by next Thursday as Glam don't have a FC game before then. Like you, I think he could potentially offer something very different, judging by that spell he bowled with the old ball at Lord's, but I agree that he shouldn't play unless match fit.

I disagree slightly about Anderson. At present it may be a close call between him & Hoggard, but I think Anderson should improve over the next 12 months, whereas it's hard to see Hoggard getting much better. That's why I'd play him now rather than throw him in against SA or Aus.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wpdavid said:
Anyway Marc, time to get off the fence. Which 2 from Jones, Hoggard & Anderson should support SH, assuming they're all fit?

I'm in danger of getting splinters!

For me it's Jones and Hoggard - that foursome really gelled IMO, and I see no reason to change it.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
IMO Tino Best will be the best WI bowler.

I saw him last year on his Test debut v Australia at Barbados, I saw there was potential there if he could fix his run up and his delievery jump, and to his credit he has.
The same Tino Best who took 0/99 from 20 overs and had Steve Waugh asking if he had ever bowled before?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Andre said:
The same Tino Best who took 0/99 from 20 overs and had Steve Waugh asking if he had ever bowled before?
Yes, and the same sterile Barbados wicket that Waugh described as the worst he'd ever played on in terms of assistance (or lack of) offered to bowlers.

Andre

International Regular
garage flower said:
Yes, and the same sterile Barbados wicket that Waugh described as the worst he'd ever played on in terms of assistance (or lack of) offered to bowlers.
What I'm trying to suggest is that Craig saw Bests potential through his statistics and Butsa Cup/Red Stripe Bowl performances than his performance in that Test, because he was absolutely and utterly woeful. An embarrasment.

To his credit he's worked hard with Wayne Daniel over the past 12 months and returned as a bowler who is in a differant ballpark to the player we saw on debut. Now, we have a bowler with limitless potential. Then, we had a pile of garbage who collapsed on the occassion.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Andre said:
What I'm trying to suggest is that Craig saw Bests potential through his statistics and Butsa Cup/Red Stripe Bowl performances than his performance in that Test, because he was absolutely and utterly woeful. An embarrasment.

To his credit he's worked hard with Wayne Daniel over the past 12 months and returned as a bowler who is in a differant ballpark to the player we saw on debut. Now, we have a bowler with limitless potential. Then, we had a pile of garbage who collapsed on the occassion.
I was only stirring really. Just suggesting that his ugly performance should be looked at in the context of facing the best, most aggressive batting team in the world on a ludicrously dead pitch, with the added pressure of it being a debut in front of an expectant home crowd (with the benefit of hindsight, we can see how this latter factor might have affected an excitable character like Tino).

Presumably, Craig saw potential based largely on his raw pace and the considerable scope for improvement in his action.

As you point out though, he's made big strides since then and now clearly has the potential to be world-class.

biased indian

International Coach
Originally Posted by Sudeep
Shouldn't this go into "Sticky" now, only a week left?

Originally Posted by marc71178
Usually goes sticky when it starts (or just before), so next Thursday I imagine.

So what is unusal about this thread that is has been made "Sticky" so soon
i have no problem though just asking :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
So what is unusal about this thread that is has been made "Sticky" so soon
i have no problem though just asking :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Dunno - it all depends on the whims of the mods - I guess one of the key things is to aviod have too many sticky at once as it clears a load of current threads off the top page.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wpdavid said:
I'm struggling to see how Jones will be match fit by next Thursday as Glam don't have a FC game before then. Like you, I think he could potentially offer something very different, judging by that spell he bowled with the old ball at Lord's, but I agree that he shouldn't play unless match fit.
Jones will be playing for the MCC tomorrow I believe.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:

His Carib Beer Cup stats didn't come into contention to what I saw.

GF summed it correctly. I saw pace and he could improve.

I don't usually listen to what Steve Waugh has to say. And I don't see why I should.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
This MCC Team could be quite a handful - 7 of the XI have represented their country.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
I don't usually listen to what Steve Waugh has to say. And I don't see why I should.
I'll use one of your weird analogies to sum it up:

'There is as much chance of you knowing more about cricket than Steve Waugh than there is of the Melbourne Storm playing their home games for the rest of the season in Monaco.'

The words of Steve Waugh have a lot to offer to most students of the game.

Craig

World Traveller
What I'm saying is Andre is that I shouldn't take Steve Waugh's opinions for gospal and what he says should direct what I think. That is all.

Of course he is going to know more then me, did I ever deny it? He played his first Test when I was 6 months old.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
This MCC Team could be quite a handful - 7 of the XI have represented their country.
How is the MCC team selected? As many of these players don't exactly come from Marylebone in London, I'm a bit uncertain about what the criteria are.