• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
howardj said:
This article makes many of the same points - as it states, the performance was 'lily-livered':

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17159439-23212,00.html
That is a very good article, and made plenty of good points. Australia destroying teams like this isn't always beneficial, BUT I do think McGrath and Warne getting no wickets was a good sign for Australia. Pathetic opposition or not, some of the deliveries were quite good. However the overall point rings true, definitely.

Another point or statement which really stuck out was the comment in regards to Lara's wrong LBW decision in the first test, and the comparison to Tendulkar's wrong LBW decision back in Adelaide in 1999/00, which resulted in India destructing. Granted Sachin got a stinker in the first test at the Gabba in 2003/04, but that Indian team was much stronger and wasn't facing McGrath and Warne.

Let's hope this WI team doesn't fall over like the Indian team of that time. I am really confident that Lara will score a century before this series finishes, whether it be in Hobart or Adelaide. I'm sure he will leave Australia, the country where he scored his first ton, with a century on his last tour. That being said, Chanderpaul and Sarwan have to contribute if the WI are not going to get smashed 3-0.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
I am really confident that Lara will score a century before this series finishes, whether it be in Hobart or Adelaide. I'm sure he will leave Australia, the country where he scored his first ton, with a century on his last tour.
I'm pinning my hopes on an Adelaide ton, he didn't do too badly there last time he visited. Pity there's no Test in Sydney, a big ton there, passing Border's record in the process, would've been a truly fitting farewell (or better yet, a century and a win... asking a bit too much perhaps).

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think it's a bit bizarre to dismiss Bracken's performance today as weather related. Conditions were decent for swing bowling, but nothing remarkable Bracken swings it a lot more than that when it's genuinely swing-friendly conditions.
oh come off it, even richie benaud admitted that the ball swung more today than at any other time in the match. point of it all is that the ball swung, and it obviously swung a fair bit because bracken cant swing the ball an iota otherwise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
oh come off it, even richie benaud admitted that the ball swung more today than at any other time in the match. point of it all is that the ball swung, and it obviously swung a fair bit because bracken cant swing the ball an iota otherwise.
Well he can firstly!

Seocndly I agree with the point that it was swing friendly conditions.

And it was after all the West Indies batting in a losing cause. So a lot should not be made out of the Bracken performance. But this performance gives him the chance to play a few more matches and get a decent runs and show what he is worth which is vital for Bracken.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How is Gillespie faring domestically and what is the perception about him returning in the future?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'd say Sarwan or Lara should be captain. Rumours usually have a bit of truth and I think that's true in teh case of dressing room problems. It's one of the few times I've ever seen a captain having to make all the onfield decisions by himself. None of the other players seem to want to help him. If you don't have your players' respect what sense does it make.
Also, I think the West Indies lost this match after they had Australia on the backfoot with seven wickets down. Once they saw the lower order the bowlers just lost their shape. Someone like Dwayne Bravo would have helped here and he must come in for one of Lawson or Edwards.I'm thinking Edwards because despite his pace Lawson looked more like getting wickets.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
Nonsense, TEC.

Whilst it's true that Bracken only started to swing the ball in the last 2-3 years, he has only started to do so consistently in the past 12 months.

His performance in the second innings was a reflection of the fact that he has improved since his first stint in test cricket.

Just how much will be seen in upcoming matches.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Well he can firstly!

Seocndly I agree with the point that it was swing friendly conditions.

And it was after all the West Indies batting in a losing cause. So a lot should not be made out of the Bracken performance. But this performance gives him the chance to play a few more matches and get a decent runs and show what he is worth which is vital for Bracken.
well he cant, otherwise he would have swung the ball more often than he has in his international career. as i said earlier, im glad that hes going to play more, because i look forward to him being milked easily.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Nonsense, TEC.

Whilst it's true that Bracken only started to swing the ball in the last 2-3 years, he has only started to do so consistently in the past 12 months.

His performance in the second innings was a reflection of the fact that he has improved since his first stint in test cricket.

Just how much will be seen in upcoming matches.
bracken was swinging the ball during his last international stint(in india). his performances in the 2nd inning simply reflect the fact that he can still do it, while his performances in the first inning suggest that hes harmless when the ball isnt doing anything.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
well he cant, otherwise he would have swung the ball more often than he has in his international career. as i said earlier, im glad that hes going to play more, because i look forward to him being milked easily.
To say he cant at all swing the ball otherwise than in very beneficial conditions like at the Gabba - your claim is quite out of order in my opinion.

But neither of us will be convinced the other way round. So we call it a day on discussing this.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
To say he cant at all swing the ball otherwise than in very beneficial conditions like at the Gabba - your claim is quite out of order in my opinion.
we will indeed see if he can swing the ball more often than not, but what we do already know is that he can only swing the ball one way, again something that isnt exactly particularly brilliant.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:

I've seen him swimg the ball ALOT!! more than that in Pure Cup matches.. way way way more actually..

you just don't know as much as you would like to think you do

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He looked good in the second innings, almost as good as Matthew Hoggard, good for you Aussies to aspire to a greater teams players :cool:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
bracken was swinging the ball during his last international stint(in india). his performances in the 2nd inning simply reflect the fact that he can still do it, while his performances in the first inning suggest that hes harmless when the ball isnt doing anything.
Yes, but he is better at it today. He swings it more consistently, with better accuracy, and in more conditions. That's the point.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
tooextracool said:
you don't really know what you're talking about

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
You're kidding aren't you? In the Pura Cup final last year, he was bowling left-arm over to a right-hander, and got him LBW with a ball that was initially angled wide of off. Bracken can swing the ball a HUGE distance when conditions are genuinely helpful. Conditions were decent for swing bowling yesterday, they were not great.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Pratyush said:
How is Gillespie faring domestically and what is the perception about him returning in the future?
Heard he was on fire yesterday against QLD. Got Maher and Love early. Tweaked his action, higher at the crease.

I still say he'll play the first test against England in 12 months time and he'll clean them up.