• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha I don't think this is true, and even if it is it's definitely not 'clear'. I think de Grandhomme, Williamson and Taylor all have some sort of claim on that; it's hard to split them (and Chapman himself). I'm definitely happy for him to be selected but lets not get ahead of ourselves (I'm assuming the openers are undisputed #1 and #2?).
Munro, CGD & Guptill are our 3 best current T20 bats for mine. Too early to comment on Chapman & Seifer except to say they're incredible prospects.

Zinzan

Don't think we'll see Wheeler again any time soon, though meant to mention that, as he's often been described as the left-arm Matt Henry, it's no great surprise he's not a success in T20s. He wouldn't be at the death in ODIs either. Likes bowling back of a length in limited-overs cricket to get awkward bounce, a little swing and seam and can be a challenging new ball bowler as a result. He probably has success with that back-of-a-length tactic domestically even in T20s (though his numbers aren't great), particularly now he bowls high 130s instead of low. However it's not a goer on super-flat wickets against the best biffers in the world. You just cannot bowl predictable seam-up balls on a good length or back of a length. That got murdered so he tried to fall back on other options.

Like Henry, he has no good slower ball let alone several variations of it. I wonder if that front-on action makes it harder for him to master slower deliveries. Whatever the reason, both he and Henry are really lacking there.

He can bowl a good yorker, but this also wasn't the first time he repeatedly failed to land it anywhere near on target. There were two consecutive NZ matches he played a while ago where he tried to bowl wide yorkers, kept missing and conceded a load of wides. He's just not very accurate with those and that's before even considering the mental side of bowling in those situations.

Back to being reserve left arm swing bowler in case Boult misses a test, I'm afraid.
Still can't see why they've discounted Ferguson in T20s, If he hits the right length at 150 clicks, he could be very tough to score 10 an over against.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Numbers are numbers, a first drop averaging 16 @ 101 (when being involved in 180 average score games) is 'wrong' to use your word.
Nah you're right. I mean the guy struggled to get a game for Sunrisers his SR is that piss. The contributions I wouldn't have a problem with as much if he showed ((((((intent)))))). I do wonder why he struggles, even the most orthodox players can have consistently juicy SR without gimmicks.

Zinzan

Nah you're right. I mean the guy struggled to get a game for Sunrisers his SR is that piss. The contributions I wouldn't have a problem with as much if he showed ((((((intent)))))). I do wonder why he struggles, even the most orthodox players can have consistently juicy SR without gimmicks.
Simple, he's just inherently afraid of getting out. His whole life has been about protecting his wicket, so he just can't bring himself to taking risks early on. He's the anti-McCullum in that respect - he bats with fear. .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
His career T20I strike rate is basically fine; he just doesn't know how to gtfo when it's not his day. 8(21) is pretty much never ever acceptable; he'd have probably done less damage getting three consecutive first ballers, it was that bad. He used up 17.5% of the innings for 29% of the global strike rate in the last three years. It'd be like someone scoring 15(53) batting first in an ODI in 2018; that's just ridiculously bad.

I don't think he needs to be dropped for it, but he does need to address it in some way to ensure it never happens again; not just write it off as a bad day. If you have a bad day in T20 cricket it should be 1(4); not 8(21). I know wickets fell around him but it was really absurdly bad.

Zinzan

His career T20I strike rate is basically fine
Indeed, I don't think you can ignore his last 12 months or so, and the trend. Pretty sure his SR was in the mid 130s before the WC last year. So he's done fairly atrociously to so quickly have it reduce to 120.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Haha I don't think this is true, and even if it is it's definitely not 'clear'. I think de Grandhomme, Williamson and Taylor all have some sort of claim on that; it's hard to split them (and Chapman himself). I'm definitely happy for him to be selected but lets not get ahead of ourselves (I'm assuming the openers are undisputed #1 and #2?).
Colin has always promised more than delivered in T20, Kane has gone off the boil a bit and Ross hasn't been good at T20 for years.

Daemon

This is all purely conjecture and not based off watching any T20s NZ have played in the last year.

Perhaps with Guptill/Munro both being explosive batsmen he believes he needs to play an anchor role at #3. In the process he may have gotten obsessed with the whole anchor the innings and be there till the end bit which means he doesn't put bad balls away, is a bit too hyper for singles and gets into a more defensive mindset overall.

It showed in his 8 (21) when the early wickets fell. He was trying to rebuild and take singles to the point where he got out trying to work a ball outside off to leg for 1.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, I don't think you can ignore his last 12 months or so, and the trend. Pretty sure his SR was in the mid 130s before the WC last year. So he's done fairly atrociously to so quickly have it reduce to 120.
Hasn't struck at over 120 for the last 3 summers or 3 calendar years, whichever way you want to shake it down.

I think Daemon has it close to right, Williamson believes he has to play some sort of anchor role given the two Colins, Guptill etc around him. The more T20 gets played the higher the totals are going to be, making that approach untenable. I don't think you win World T20s with a guy who scores on average 30 off 25 balls.

And what happened in Wellington? Where's the intent been since then? Was that a one-off **** you to Simon Doull? Doull was 100% right to question his place and still is.

Burner

International Regular
His career T20I strike rate is basically fine; he just doesn't know how to gtfo when it's not his day. 8(21) is pretty much never ever acceptable; he'd have probably done less damage getting three consecutive first ballers, it was that bad. He used up 17.5% of the innings for 29% of the global strike rate in the last three years. It'd be like someone scoring 15(53) batting first in an ODI in 2018; that's just ridiculously bad.

I don't think he needs to be dropped for it, but he does need to address it in some way to ensure it never happens again; not just write it off as a bad day. If you have a bad day in T20 cricket it should be 1(4); not 8(21). I know wickets fell around him but it was really absurdly bad.
The Yuvraj Singh syndrome.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Simple, he's just inherently afraid of getting out. His whole life has been about protecting his wicket, so he just can't bring himself to taking risks early on. He's the anti-McCullum in that respect - he bats with fear. .
This is a good point. Going from ball one goes against everything that is ingrained in him. He's a spreadsheet guy, an accountant, a risk-free operator who eliminates all possible elements to ensure success.

I don't think that guy should be in your T20 team, nor captain. But get used to it because he'd have to go Agarkar on it with a run of ducks to be dropped. And given we don't play that much T20 I doubt there'd ever be enough exposure to demand him being dropped.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Still can't see why they've discounted Ferguson in T20s, If he hits the right length at 150 clicks, he could be very tough to score 10 an over against.
I'm not sure what they think on Ferguson in T20s, though iirc they've tried him at the death in ODIs a couple of times without much success. Obvious risk with extra pace is that ball comes off the bat faster.

That said, pace is obviously a weapon too, he has a good yorker (sometimes), a good slower ball (sometimes) and more to work with than Henry or Wheeler if he can develop the accuracy further.

_Ed_

iirc they've tried him at the death in ODIs a couple of times without much success.
I think part of that was due to a bit of a lack of stamina and declining pace over the course of an ODI innings. He seems to be improving that anyway, but either way, less of an issue when he's only bowling four.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure what they think on Ferguson in T20s, though iirc they've tried him at the death in ODIs a couple of times without much success. Obvious risk with extra pace is that ball comes off the bat faster.

That said, pace is obviously a weapon too, he has a good yorker (sometimes), a good slower ball (sometimes) and more to work with than Henry or Wheeler if he can develop the accuracy further.
Yeah, I would've thought T20 would be a good format for him, as he has reasonable accuracy combined with explosive pace. His biggest weakness is that he can only maintain 150+ for about 4 or 5 overs before he gets completely gassed - but that's obviously not a problem in T20's. At the very least, I would've thought that Hesson would've played him a few times against WI and Pakistan in the run-up to this series.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Brendon would be playing him every game. Maybe not at Eden Park (or maybe he would) but he was always a big fan of 4-40 is better than 0-28. Southee and Boult should be doing the death stuff, with Ferguson trying to get guys out up front.

Again with the risk stuff, I just think Kane isn't a fan of the fact Lochie can go for a few. But I'd have him in over Wheeler, I know they think Wheeler has the yorker and can provide a better death option plus is a better batsman, but the T20 World Cup is in Australia and I'd be backing Lochie to get into guys with extra pace and bounce. Lochie also has a much better slower ball than Wheeler.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bayliss willing to make way as T20 coach. ****ing clown. Should be making way as the test coach. Seems very presumptuous to say he's willing to make way as T20 coach when the test side has been poor. The way he's going we'll lose a home ashes in 2019 and still go out in the quarter/semi finals of the 50 over world cup.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with the above posts that Ferguson is worth a try in T20s, though it would've been better to give him a run vs Pakistan/WI earlier in the summer.