• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

pup11

International Coach
Umpires

As to the playing conditions, lights can come into play regularly in Eng
TBH, I just don't understand what purpose switching on the lights serve, you rarely see the game being stretched for more than a few overs once the lights are switched on, and you really can't blame the batsmen either for that.

The red ball is pretty hard to see under artificial lights, and not only that it does tend to skid and play a few tricks under lights (not a general phenomena, but it does tend to happen at certain grounds), which isn't really fair on the batting side.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Probably get a full day tomorrow but Monday isn’t looking good. Probably only 150 overs left in the test.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Probably get a full day tomorrow but Monday isn’t looking good. Probably only 150 overs left in the test.

I wouldn't be so sure about a full day tomorrow. Whatever the weather forecast is for tomorrow the ground could well be still unplayable. Neither captain actually thought it was fit when they started on Thursday.

Treebeard

Cricket Spectator
Hi

I'm going to the game tomorrow and having read the T&C on the tickets it says "By ECB ruling, the user of cameras and other electronic equipment for the recording, transmission or communication of match details, statistics, images etc is not permitted other than with the proper accreditation"

This implies to me you cant take any pictures full stop, yet at all other sport events I have been to you can take pictures provided them are for personal use only

Can anyone confirm that cameras are banned?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Rouse (edgbaston groundsman) reckons we may get 70 overs tomorrow (ie by my calculations not much play before lunch). God knows how much play the weather will permit on Monday. Mrs z and I have spent a rather boring day shopping in Birmingham. It's been miserable weather although dry since 4pm. Fingers crossed for tomorrow and also for Leeds (where the early indications are that the weather may be showery but not as bad as this).

I've been chuffed to learn during the course of this Test that Edgbaston chose not to spend the £900,000 given to them to improve drainage, preferring to wait till after the Ashes Test. That's the way to treat your loyal paying public including the many Aussie fans that have spent a large chunk of their life savings coming over in the hope of watching some cricket.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi

I'm going to the game tomorrow and having read the T&C on the tickets it says "By ECB ruling, the user of cameras and other electronic equipment for the recording, transmission or communication of match details, statistics, images etc is not permitted other than with the proper accreditation"

This implies to me you cant take any pictures full stop, yet at all other sport events I have been to you can take pictures provided them are for personal use only

Can anyone confirm that cameras are banned?
Cameras aren't banned. Mrs z took a big camera into the ground yesterday and took photos with no problem.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've been chuffed to learn during the course of this Test that Edgbaston chose not to spend the £900,000 given to them to improve drainage, preferring to wait till after the Ashes Test. That's the way to treat your loyal paying public including the many Aussie fans that have spent a large chunk of their life savings coming over in the hope of watching some cricket.
Out of interest, if it rained till 4 or so, how would drainage help?

If it had stopped raining and play resumed, punters would've ended up seeing 20 or 30 overs and getting no refund.

The levels of rain we've had have this summer been almost unprecedented - no amount of drainage would help with that.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of interest, if it rained till 4 or so, how would drainage help?
Grounds with good, state-of-the-art drainage can allow play almost as soon as the rain has stopped. I've seen it happen at Lord's, it's pretty amazing.

It hasn't rained all day today, there were dry spells when play might have been possible, both in the morning and the end of the day. Yes there may have been bad light in any event, and yes even a proper modern outfield might have been too wet for play, but the odds of that happening were dramatically reduced by the failure of Warwickshire to spend the money they had been allocated for improved drainage.

At Edgbaston, proper drainage would most certainly have helped on Day 1 when were limited to 30 overs in total not because it was raining for most of the time (it rained only sporadically in what would have been the morning session) but because of a damp, slow-drying outfield.

If it had stopped raining and play resumed, punters would've ended up seeing 20 or 30 overs and getting no refund.
I'm sorry but the logic of this completely escapes me.

If I'm going to watch the Test match I would rather see 30 overs of cricket than none. Full ****ing stop. I don't buy a ticket in the hope that I may get a refund, I buy it in the hope that I'll see some cricket and, in this instance, perhaps see England move closer to an Ashes series victory.

In any case the cost of a Test match is far from limited to the ticket price. It includes the cost of travel, taking time off work, hotels etc. None of these is refundable regardless of how much play is lost.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

:thumbsup:

Spent my refund already, got me a day one ticket for Headingley. Not too shabby, drunk as **** though, here's a clip of my day

Pfft, I saw Merv Hughes, much cooler then Dizzy:cool:

Oh and yeah there was the seven wickets in the first session too:ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Were a bunch of lads singing gypsy chants at Gillespie, he said, "I've been hearing that for twelve years, try harder," looked well pissed off, this much so:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
He's massively tall in real life, you don't tend to get that impression when you watch him on TV. Remember getting his autograph a few years back when he was at Yorkshire and he just towered over everyone else by a good few inches.