• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i dont like safin's antics of getting treatment because of his lack of fitness, he did that in the 2002 semi final against Haas when he was gone, but he came back and won because he exploited the rules. it seems hes doing it again...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
i dont like safin's antics of getting treatment because of his lack of fitness, he did that in the 2002 semi final against Haas when he was gone, but he came back and won because he exploited the rules. it seems hes doing it again...
Give over, they nearly all do it these days. In comparison The Little Aussie S***'s episode over the foot fault calls were absolutely pathetic.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Safin deserves to win. Anyone who beats Federer the way he did deserves to win the whole scha-bang! Well done :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Safin lost the first set because he was not in rhythm IMO against a totally different kind of opponent after playing Federer.

Came to terms later in the match.

Mister Wright

That is a crushing loss. Hewitt had that 3rd set wrapped up. Dammit. Still Hewitt played tremendous to even make the final.

Piper

International Captain
Go Safin, Go Go Safin!
He deserved to win for the simple fact coz he beat Federer and that is a huge thing to do.
It was on here today but i was in bed when it was on it was something like 9am and me mom was watching it and she left me in bed :dry: she only woke me up to watch the presentation! I could have cried :@

duffer

broncoman said:

Pfft, get over it, everyone does it. You think Little Lleyton was injured when he called for a timeout after the third?

Anna

International Vice-Captain
He's just bitter! Safin played fantastically after he found his serve again and to win 7 games on the trot at the end of the third set and beginning of the fourth is a mark of his talent. Glad to see he's found his form of 4 years ago :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
c'mon marat, now that you've got your second wind, keep it all together for a few years and make a great career....a safin-federer rivalry when both are playing well is the stuff of legends...it will put sampras-agassi in the shade...more of a mistmatch because pete was very clearly the better player....

twctopcat

International Regular
Anil said:
c'mon marat, now that you've got your second wind, keep it all together for a few years and make a great career....a safin-federer rivalry when both are playing well is the stuff of legends...it will put sampras-agassi in the shade...more of a mistmatch because pete was very clearly the better player....
So long as he stays injury free i think he will. Today i bet a lot of people thought he had lost it when hewitt was up in the 3rd, hell i wasn't sure. He seems to have gone up a notch and will go down as an all time great when he retires no doubt.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
So long as he stays injury free i think he will. Today i bet a lot of people thought he had lost it when hewitt was up in the 3rd, hell i wasn't sure. He seems to have gone up a notch and will go down as an all time great when he retires no doubt.
hewitt will always be a great competitor and could even pounce on federer and safin when they are not at their best...the same goes for roddick who i feel has a game very similar to agassi's, the main difference being that agassi's big weapon was the return while roddick's is the serve...but neither of them can touch that level where federer and safin can reach...and if they can combine that kind of talent with matching intensity and a feel for destiny(like sampras did), we could even see a borg-mcenroe kind of classy rivalry...