• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

greg

International Debutant
andyc said:
I actually think people have got this a bit wrong. We have heard lots about the World XI "not gelling as a team" but as has been pointed out, why was their major deficiency with the bat? I think the issue of the lack of preparation has been woefully ignored (although it was contrasted, for example, by at least one writer with the MCC vs ROW summer in 1970 - which was basically a proper tour of England).

Unfortunately nobody in the test cricket hierarchy want to dwell on this point - neither the ICC and country boards who want to fill ever greater number of matches into shortest possible timeframes, nor the players who, noting the above, are in favour of shorter and shorter tours so that they get time to spend with their families.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
greg I think it hasn't been ignored. People do acknowledge that a lack of preparation has had something to do with the poor batting performances. People have mentioned Lara hasn't played cricket for almost 6 months (I could have sworn some writer even said it looks as if he's put on weight since his last test) and others have mentioned it to. It clearly is a big factor. But you also can't ignore the idea of the 'team'. There is no better example than the second one dayer in my opinion. The running was so poor, its unbelievable.

All factors had to do with the win. Lack of preparation, lack of a team, Australia's desire to win coming back from a devastating Ashes loss, Australia's brilliance and additionally a lack of motivation. There wasn't 'no motivation', but it was obvious sometimes that they weren't as motivated as when they play for their country. Flintoff and Harmison's reactions often proved it. Whilst there was stil the delight shown often (particularly from Murali, I remember Sehwag lifting him up high when he got Katich), there were times when I thought catches had been dropped when the bowler barely reacted (Flintoff's wicket of Ponting in the 1st innings).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Craddock's comments today were really interesting. Pretty much pointed the finger right at Inzy and Sehwag for being disinterested in the concept and horrible team players.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Craddock's comments today were really interesting. Pretty much pointed the finger right at Inzy and Sehwag for being disinterested in the concept and horrible team players.
How were they any worse than many of the others on display? Especially Sehwag, who top scored for the World XI...
Not directed at you Jack obviously. What were Craddock's reasons?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
How were they any worse than many of the others on display? Especially Sehwag, who top scored for the World XI...
Not directed at you Jack obviously. What were Craddock's reasons?
At catching practice Inzamum moved into first slip position but Smith said he was going to be fielding there and that Inzi would be at third slip. Inzi said, "no, I always field at first slip." But Smith told him he wasn't and Inzy went to third slip, however he dropped a catch and went back to the dressing room to sulk. As far as I can remember his comment about Sehwag was just his general lack of interest at batting practice and fielding practice.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
At catching practice Inzamum moved into first slip position but Smith said he was going to be fielding there and that Inzi would be at first slip. Inzi said, "no, I always field at first slip." But Smith told him he wasn't and Inzy went to third slip, however he dropped a catch and went back to the dressing room to sulk. As far as I can remember his comment about Sehwag was just his general lack of interest at batting practice and fielding practice.
And supposedly Sehwag and Inzy just laughed at Smith when he tried to gee up the side before going out to field.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Can anybody link to Craddock's article, or is it not online? If it's in the Herald Sun, my chances of reading it are close to zero.

howardj

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
And supposedly Sehwag and Inzy just laughed at Smith when he tried to gee up the side before going out to field.
No, that's completely false.....they were actually laughing at Smith's attempts to counter Glenn McGrath :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sehwag is always like that though. I can see him going "Meh" at cricket training. Apparently he doesn't even play shots at training, and is all defensive in the nets. Yet on the field he smashes it. No idea why.

I can see Inzy sulking though, man Smith should have made him 12th man for the sheer comedic value.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Admittedly I've no idea about the veracity of Craddock's report (I've no reason to doubt it either, come to that), but Inzi hasn't really covered himself with glory, has he? Leaving aside his pair (he was unlucky in the 2nd, but them's the breaks) he displayed petulance ("Huh. Never wanted to play anyway") that would be unbecoming from a teenager, much less an elder statesmen of 35.

greg

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
Admittedly I've no idea about the veracity of Craddock's report (I've no reason to doubt it either, come to that), but Inzi hasn't really covered himself with glory, has he? Leaving aside his pair (he was unlucky in the 2nd, but them's the breaks) he displayed petulance ("Huh. Never wanted to play anyway") that would be unbecoming from a teenager, much less an elder statesmen of 35.
To be fair he might have had other things on his mind...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
greg said:
Yes, very true.

In the circumstances tho would anyone have blamed Inzi (or Shoaib & Afridi) if they'd withdrawn from the Super Series altogether? They wouldn't be human if such a tragedy didn't play on their minds a little.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Looking back, I will not say the super series was a bad idea. I will speak regarding the test match because it is the cricket which concerns me much more than most one day cricket.

The match saw brilliance in parts. The bowling of Murali, the bowling of Warne, some tight contests. But where the match failed - lies in the fact that it was a match rather than a series.

It was really clubbed in the cricketing calendar which is really not the way to go about it. A proper cricket tour by the ROW would have been much better wit 3 tests, a few first class matches opening with a match VS the Prime Ministers XI maybe. People may argue that this is 2005 and not the 70s.

But all I am asking for is a space for the ROW like any other international team would have had. It would give players more team, focus their efforts properly at the right moments.

The World XI could have had more time to gel as a TEAM - the common arguement against the concept till now. And regarding the players not taking the whole thing seriously - this is cricket at the top level. Can they, despite being the best players, just create magic if they want to?

Even the best need preparation.

Choora

State Regular
greg said:
To be fair, Inzi and almost all the Pak cricketers have been shell shocked by the deadly earthquake.Inzamam has immediately started collecting funds for earthquake victims and he has been joined by good one's in Afridi & Rashid Lateef.

I wonder if Akhtar is doing any charity work himself? he has been making news for all the wrong reasons lately, its high time for him to do something good for himself and his countrymen.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Shaun said he didn't mind stepping down for the game so that Inzi could play. It probably works out, I suppose — Inzi's happy, and as Vettori and Murali are playing, we've already got enough slow bowlers.
:laugh: