• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
KaZoH0lic said:
By the same token there are plenty of times where Australians have acknowledged them. Actually I haven't really ever heard them be negative.
Personally, I find when Ricky Ponting complains about too many uncompetitive series in recent times after having beaten a side is being fairly "negative" as such. Or when he talks about how they spent a whole Test series with their minds on the Ashes.
KaZoH0lic said:
I was not neccessarily speaking about the players themselves. I mean't the media/fans when I implied the English/England.
I'd much rather hear those not involved with the side spout patriotic vitriol and pump up the side's tyres than those to do with the inner sanctum.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Personally, I find when Ricky Ponting complains about too many uncompetitive series in recent times after having beaten a side is being fairly "negative" as such. Or when he talks about how they spent a whole Test series with their minds on the Ashes.
I'd much rather hear those not involved with the side spout patriotic vitriol and pump up the side's tyres than those to do with the inner sanctum.
LOL. I guess so. It does stem from Patriotism. I will stop my crusade. Both sides will have their points. I though personally see it more one-sided and on that side's word, more unreasonable. But enough of that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
KaZoH0lic said:
Well of course I know that. I mean't in relation to what I was saying? What did that add to the plot?
KaZoH0lic said:
I'm sure no team has faced as much pressure as that same team after the Ashes.
honestbharani said:
You obviously don't know about what happened after Pak lost to INdia in Pak, or about what happened after INdia lost to Pak so many times in the past in India and in Pak.
Context provided.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
yeah, but my point was Freddie never bowled more than 10 overs during the last 3 years before that tour (Something the commentators brought up often) and it was still hot at Mohali and somewhat hot at Eden. Only Bangalore was really cool with rain in the air. Obviously, these are just people's opinions vs others' opinions. There obviously is no way to be sure of who will be better than whom. But I think there is more chance of Pathan and WAtson not being as good as Freddie than the other way around. Of course, I wouldn't mind if they DID reach Freddie's levels, because more kwality all rounders (The kwe doesn't work on my keyboard, bear with me) the better cricket we will get.
LOL! Call me simple-minded but I found that hilarious for some reason.

Slow Love™

International Captain
shaka said:
Kumble may have been picked if he did not have a slight back injury that has kept him grounded recently, although it did play in the hands of NZ fans and Vettori.
There's also something else relevant when it comes to the Vettori vs Kumble selection decision.

There was obviously (aside from the minnows Zimbabwe and Bangladesh) a commitment for some kind of representation from each test playing country. (Otherwise, why not just send the whole English team? :)) I think the Vettori selection was to ensure there was at least one KIwi representative, and I see nothing wrong with that. I think people who are really invested in the Vettori vs Kumble debate are in a way, missing the point.

The Boucher selection over Sangakkara is definitely inexplicable though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was it a flawed concept? The fact that Oz absolutely creamed the best of the rest adds weight to the idea that a "champion team" should beat a "team of champions".

I think the selection of a World XI is always going to be partly an exercise in compromise too, Inzi's presence ahead of Pollock had the look of a sop about it. I guess the selectors also feel duty bound to select the quote-unquote best players, rather than the team best equipped to win. Smith ahead of Strauss (or even Tresco!) is a case in point; Fat Gray averages more, yes, but anyone who's seen him must know he has a very obvious weakness early on against the ball that swings into him. Meat & drink to Mr McGrath!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I agree with Jason on all counts aside from Strauss over Smith. Smith averages 55 over several years of test cricket now, and I think he may have a very good summer in Australia if he can survive McGrath.
really smith isn't great againts spin either, so i would say he may find runs difficult to come this summer

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Katich - should be replaced by Hussey sooner rather than later. However, spot will likely go to Hodge if anyone.
yes plus dont see the sense in replacing him with Hussey, i would love for Martyn to come back into the test side, i miss him already.......

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's unfortunate that Katich is out of sorts and Martyn is out of the side, because they're two of the three players in the current XI that I actually like. The other is Justin Langer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's unfortunate that Katich is out of sorts and Martyn is out of the side, because they're two of the three players in the current XI that I actually like. The other is Justin Langer.
i dont thin Katich is really out of sorts, he batted superbly in the ODI's & it was only Murali that troubled him, plus he wont be facing much of him in the near future add to dat he was unfortunately run out in the 1st innings.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Better than Flintoff's?!
I phrased my post incorrectly. I meant in the fact that Pathan gets picked as a bowler for his team (not an allrounder), whereas Flintoff is in the side as an allrounder because he would get picked as a batsman or a bowler.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
i dont thin Katich is really out of sorts, he batted superbly in the ODI's & it was only Murali that troubled him, plus he wont be facing much of him in the near future add to dat he was unfortunately run out in the 1st innings.
When will people understand that ODI and tests are two totally different games and you can look good in one and not the other? Case studies - Brett Lee, Michael Bevan! Just because Katich has looked good in the one dayers does not automatically mean he is going to bat well in a test match. Just look at Gilly on the recent Ashes tour. He stormed it up in the one dayers, but with a different approach to test cricket and the opposition being able to bowl different plans, lines etc he hardly made runs. It is like saying that Hussey is going to be a gun in test cricket because of what he has done at ODI level. The best guide to go by is his Pura Cup record which isn't all that flash.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
He didn't play particularly well in England though.