• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanz said:
He may not. But how can we be sure that he CAN'T ? I am not saying that after four years, Pathan/Watson are going to better than or as good as Flintoff, I have no way of knowing it now. Same way those who say that Pathan/Watson ca't become like Flintoff actually have no way knowing it either. They are just stating their opinion.

Flintoff, early in his career, was compared to Botham, wasn't he ??
No one says Pathan or for that matter Watson CAN'T be as good as Flintoff. But it is juz that it is more likely that they won't reach that level than it is that they will reach that level. Freddie has put in some amazing hardwork to be where he is. You must have seen his spells in India in the scorching sun and the time when he lost so much weight.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
He may not. But how can we be sure that he CAN'T ? I am not saying that after four years, Pathan/Watson are going to better than or as good as Flintoff, I have no way of knowing it now. Same way those who say that Pathan/Watson ca't become like Flintoff actually have no way knowing it either. They are just stating their opinion.

Flintoff, early in his career, was compared to Botham, wasn't he ??
Thank you, the very point im trying to make as well. For some reason it seems England and the English are pronounced untouchable but the reality is the Australians have way more claim to that. People make comparisons all the time between the two teams but I don't really see the Aussies making it a point to shoot down ANY speculation. That is the envy im talking about and this sort of talk has only come about from the English since the Ashes win. Australia just killed the World XI...that is the best fact for anyone to point out.

chalky

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
He still is. It is ridiculous to be comparing the three as they are all different players. Flintoff is probably the most genuine allrounder of the three, however I would say that Watson's batting is slightly better making him a batting allrounder (despite what the selectors think) than Flintoff whereas Pathan's bowling is probably better than both of them, yet he is unproven with the bat as an allrounder.
I think Flintoff, at this point has a case for being the best seamer in the world behind Mcgrath. His bowling for me is head & shoulders above Pathan.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KaZoH0lic said:
Thank you, the very point im trying to make as well. For some reason it seems England and the English are pronounced untouchable but the reality is the Australians have way more claim to that. People make comparisons all the time between the two teams but I don't really see the Aussies making it a point to shoot down ANY speculation. That is the envy im talking about and this sort of talk has only come about from the English since the Ashes win. Australia just killed the World XI...that is the best fact for anyone to point out.

Yeah, but not too much should be taken from the Australian side beating a World XI side. The World XI have not toured together, bonded as a unit and worked towards a goal over several years to become the best team in the world. They are all playing in unfamiliar conditions and most of them were either rusty or in poor form. While I'm not defending the World XIs inept performance I think it is hard to judge them from just one test match. I'm sure if it were a three test series and the players had more time to aclimatise (sp) to the conditions they would have put up a much better fight with the bat (I think their performance with the ball was tremendous).

Mister Wright

chalky said:
I think Flintoff, at this point has a case for being the best seamer in the world behind Mcgrath. His bowling for me is head & shoulders above Pathan.

I agree. If you were to pick three bowlers you would want in your side they would be McGrath and Warne followed by Flintoff. Murali and a fully fit Bond would probably be the next two bowlers you would look at.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, but not too much should be taken from the Australian side beating a World XI side. The World XI have not toured together, bonded as a unit and worked towards a goal over several years to become the best team in the world. They are all playing in unfamiliar conditions and most of them were either rusty or in poor form. While I'm not defending the World XIs inept performance I think it is hard to judge them from just one test match. I'm sure if it were a three test series and the players had more time to aclimatise (sp) to the conditions they would have put up a much better fight with the bat (I think their performance with the ball was tremendous).
Sure that is a point. However, I'm not neccessarily talking about the match but in the reaction to the win. I revert to Sanz's question on how the English would have taken the victory if they were in the same seat as the Aussies and history tells me there would be a lot of hyperbole.

Beleg

International Regular
The idea that Pathan at this point of time is a better bowler than Flintoff is laughable.

He 'might' become a better bowler, but IMHO the chancese of that happening are about as good as Bangladesh winning the world cup.

Mister Wright

KaZoH0lic said:
Sure that is a point. However, I'm not neccessarily talking about the match but in the reaction to the win. I revert to Sanz's question on how the English would have taken the victory if they were in the same seat as the Aussies and history tells me there would be a lot of hyperbole.
For starters, England wouldn't deserve to be in a position to play a World XI considering they haven't been dominating international teams in both forms of the game for close to a decade. Secondly, it isn't like Austrlalia have accepted the wins with saintly grace. Some of their celebrations in taking World XI wickets were more like a soccer game than a cricket match.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
No one says Pathan or for that matter Watson CAN'T be as good as Flintoff. But it is juz that it is more likely that they won't reach that level than it is that they will reach that level. Freddie has put in some amazing hardwork to be where he is. You must have seen his spells in India in the scorching sun and the time when he lost so much weight.
Well that is you opinion and I respect that. As for Freddie's bowling in India, I dont know which series you are talking about ? If you are talking about 2001 series then it was Winter time in India, hardly the scorching heat. I have watched Srinath or for that matter most Indian/Pakistani/SL bowlers bowl overs and overs in the same sun for years.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
For starters, England wouldn't deserve to be in a position to play a World XI considering they haven't been dominating international teams in both forms of the game for close to a decade. Secondly, it isn't like Austrlalia have accepted the wins with saintly grace. Some of their celebrations in taking World XI wickets were more like a soccer game than a cricket match.
Well I'd rather liken that to a figurative blow-hole. I'm sure no team has faced as much pressure as that same team after the Ashes. I think the symbolic win was more valuable than the bonus on their salary.

Mister Wright

KaZoH0lic said:
Well I'd rather liken that to a figurative blow-hole. I'm sure no team has faced as much pressure as that same team after the Ashes. I think the symbolic win was more valuable than the bonus on their salary.
The Australian team has never taken winning graciously. They go around saying "we're going to win this series to nil," "I'm going to target this player because they are weak," etc. Then when they do win they carry on about how great their players are, rarely giving a mention to the opposition. I think it's a touch hypocritical to be going around and giving it to the English for the way they have carried on after winning the Ashes. Afterall, they haven't had it for close to 2 decades. I'd like to see Australia's recation and Austrlians' recation if we were to win the Ashes after not winning the Ashes for another 2 decades

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanz said:
Well that is you opinion and I respect that. As for Freddie's bowling in India, I dont know which series you are talking about ? If you are talking about 2001 series then it was Winter time in India, hardly the scorching heat. I have watched Srinath or for that matter most Indian/Pakistani/SL bowlers bowl overs and overs in the same sun for years.
yeah, but my point was Freddie never bowled more than 10 overs during the last 3 years before that tour (Something the commentators brought up often) and it was still hot at Mohali and somewhat hot at Eden. Only Bangalore was really cool with rain in the air. Obviously, these are just people's opinions vs others' opinions. There obviously is no way to be sure of who will be better than whom. But I think there is more chance of Pathan and WAtson not being as good as Freddie than the other way around. Of course, I wouldn't mind if they DID reach Freddie's levels, because more kwality all rounders (The kwe doesn't work on my keyboard, bear with me) the better cricket we will get.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
On a lighter note... I have this funny memory of the series in when Flintoff had just got a wicket and the little shrimp Murali was behind him massaging him and Freddie turned around like "WTF?" and smiled and Murali continued massaging his right arm like a little excited kid :D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KaZoH0lic said:
You obviously don't know about what happened after Pak lost to INdia in Pak, or about what happened after INdia lost to Pak so many times in the past in India and in Pak.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
You obviously don't know about what happened after Pak lost to INdia in Pak, or about what happened after INdia lost to Pak so many times in the past in India and in Pak.
Well I'm not really sure I recognise what you're mentioning. I'd appreciate the explanation.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
KaZoH0lic said:
Well I'm not really sure I recognise what you're mentioning. I'd appreciate the explanation.
Just letting you know, India and Pakistan haven't always been on the best of terms...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
The Australian team has never taken winning graciously. They go around saying "we're going to win this series to nil," "I'm going to target this player because they are weak," etc. Then when they do win they carry on about how great their players are, rarely giving a mention to the opposition. I think it's a touch hypocritical to be going around and giving it to the English for the way they have carried on after winning the Ashes. Afterall, they haven't had it for close to 2 decades. I'd like to see Australia's recation and Austrlians' recation if we were to win the Ashes after not winning the Ashes for another 2 decades
By the same token there are plenty of times where Australians have acknowledged them. Actually I haven't really ever heard them be negative. I was not speaking about the players themselves. I mean't the media/fans when I implied the English/England.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Just letting you know, India and Pakistan haven't always been on the best of terms...
Well of course I know that. I mean't in relation to what I was saying? What did that add to the plot?