• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

tooextracool

International Coach
greg said:
I thought that before, but as was pointed out to me it's a bit of a myth that you "always play two spinners at Sydney". You pick 2 spinners if you have a five man attack. I agree the World XI should probably have gone in with such an attack, but that is by the by. Given that they only went in with 4 they should have picked Pollock. IMO.
i cant see pollock doing anything. if they had 3 quality pace bowlers then yes theres nothing wrong with going in with 3 pace bowlers. when you have 1.5, then you're better off going in with a spinner.

greg

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
i cant see pollock doing anything. if they had 3 quality pace bowlers then yes theres nothing wrong with going in with 3 pace bowlers. when you have 1.5, then you're better off going in with a spinner.
Well it sort of goes without saying that you won't pick Pollock if you think he's rubbish. But I don't. And Pollock bowling "poorly" as you presumably think is the case in recent times still has a far better record than Vettori bowling "well".

chalky

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
Bill Lawry was in raptures about his spell today, but he is ever-so-slightly prone to hyperbole. It was pretty special tho.

Is Lawry ABC, actually? Can only go by what Sky gives us.
No Lawry is Channel 9 which we get in the UK - does go a bit OTT at times. One of the Aussie posters mentioned that the ABC commentators were having a go at Harmy & Feddie saying they wouldn't be very effective in Australian conditions during the 1st innings. I was just wondering if they wre talking the same BS during the 2nd innings.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
greg said:
Well it sort of goes without saying that you won't pick Pollock if you think he's rubbish. But I don't. And Pollock bowling "poorly" as you presumably think is the case in recent times still has a far better record than Vettori bowling "well".
pollock is ordinary when the conditions dont assist him. and in australia, the conditions very rarely assist him. fact is that at the start of the test match the assumption would be that the conditions were more likely to assist vettori than pollock, and that hasnt changed during this test match, even if vettori hasnt done anything.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
From some reports it sounds like Harmison bowled well today - I've only seen the wickets, and have to say he did get 2 rather good balls in there.

Those who have better access, was he bowling well?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
open365 said:
why does everyone hate smith so much?
English fans arent satisfied with his performance against them and until they are, their reaction will not be some thing too different I suppose.

If I can give a larger example, Indian fans did not truly understand how good Warne is because he was never that successful against them in his initial few series. And a reason Laxman is appreciated so much by the Aussies.

Regarding the rest of the world, Smith speaks his mind more than most people do and the guy is not the most diplomatic of people, or doesnt feel the need to be, whichever way you may take it.

chalky

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
From some reports it sounds like Harmison bowled well today - I've only seen the wickets, and have to say he did get 2 rather good balls in there.

The wicket of Lee was a good ball too a slower ball whilst Lee was going for slog (was missed by Toney Grieg what a suprise). Bowled some rubbish though had Mcgrath on strike for a whole over and managed to get 5 balls down the leg side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
English fans arent satisfied with his performance against them and until they are, their reaction will not be some thing too different I suppose.

Hmm, and that's the reason people dislike him you reckon? 8-)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:

Apart from his initial spell on the first day and a few good balls here and there, he's been decidedly average - down on pace and accuracy.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
age_master said:
Kumble has never done much in Australia, bowling average of 40, Harbajan averages 169, Vettori 37, Murali 100....
Kumble certainly bowled pretty well on a conducive pitch in Sydney last year.
In 1999-2000, the SCG pitch didn't offer much turn and /or uneven bounce and he was pretty much ineffective.
However, the tour match played before that agauint NSW in that season was played on a more typical Sydney wicket and he xcaused no end of problems.

chalky

International Debutant
Bloody Rain - Stayed up until 1amfor this:

For any gamblers out there the over under on Brian Lara is 33-38 have bought at 10 pounds come on Lara

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was speaking with Faip on msn about this how Lara shouldnt be counted out if he looks out of it for a period.

He has a habit of getting back in form in such innings and then hitting the ball superbly eventually. He is now hitting the ball much better than before.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Lee isnt good enough to bowl to Lara and Dravid together. They just wait for the ball which will slightly stray and take a few runs off that ball and block the other balls he bowls. It affects the pressure Warne can put in as well if the two can feel eased off at the other end.

I wouldnt say Lee has bowled poorly. But he will always tend to stray a bit (if not a lot) at least once an over and even that is not good enough when Lara and Dravid are batting together in an effectively time less test situation now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As good a batsman as Dravid (and may I include Kallis when I talk of it right now) is he cant manage to tackle Warne adequately in Australia

I would be interested in some one bringing up the stats of Dravid in tests in Australia when Warne has played.