• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:
This 3rd umpire crap for LBWs is horrible. Totally ruins the spontanety of the sport, is a waste of time, and most of the time its still inconclusive. If its brought in, every decent LBW appeal will be checked.
Agreed. Not a fan of it at all, especially given it doesn't solve debates about close calls in the slightest. For me, Clarke was not out yesterday, and Inzy was out just a minute ago. No doubt some people here would disagree.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
And i still think Hayden was plumb yesterday. Without the 3rd umpire that type of appeal would be out 99% of the time. The problem is that almost every LBW appeal will always be doubtful unless its the most plumb thing imaginable, so the 3rd umpire will invariably just highlight the doubts and will end up letting off many legit dismissals.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Agreed. Not a fan of it at all, especially given it doesn't solve debates about close calls in the slightest. For me, Clarke was not out yesterday, and Inzy was out just a minute ago. No doubt some people here would disagree.
Clarke's decision was a bit mystifying.

Having had the benefit of countless replays, the 3rd umpire decided that he couldnt tell whether he it it or not and referred the decision back to the umpire. Rudi then decided that he was better placed than the 3rd umpire and gave him out. That makes no sense.

Also, the third umpire is not allowed to use hawk-eye. That being the case, Hayden probably should've been given out lbw to Harmy as it definitely looked that way until hawk-eye was shown after the decision had been made.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Kallis looks set to play a real stinker. Hes not interested in scoring today , but he could well save the world XI from a quick collapse.

tooextracool

International Coach
in watching macgill bowl with warne so far today, 2 things have stood out:
1) the 1-2 long hops every over has continued
2) the lack of variation, particularly the lack of drift of macgill.

as such i dont think macgill is a particularly poor bowler, i think hes decent-good, but its glaringly obvious that against a quality batting side against spin he'd struggle to bowl too many people out.

Slow Love™

International Captain
This match is unfortunately petering out to a foregone conclusion. It's difficult to see this concept surviving as a regular event after this mostly lacklustre performance from the World XI this series, unless something incredible happens in the second half of the match.

tooextracool

International Coach
tooextracool said:
hardly surprising that kallis seems to have no clue as to what is coming out of shane warnes hand.
what a surprise, kallis gets himself out to warne again, following the trend of his career.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:

as such i dont think macgill is a particularly poor bowler, i think hes decent-good, but its glaringly obvious that against a quality batting side against spin he'd struggle to bowl too many people out.
He lacks Warne's subtle variation and of course his incredibly accuracy, but so does just about every other spinner you could care to name. Macgill's wrong'un is actually better than Warne's (these days, that is). He's not as good as Warne or Murali, and probably not as good as Kumble either, but he's definately not a poor bowler like many people make out, and it is definately true that if he did not play with Warne he would have played many, many tests, and taken a lot of wickets.

social

tooextracool said:

You cant compare him to Warne as their different in their approach.

MacGill puts masses of side and over-spin on the ball and is naturally less accurate. He loops the ball rather than drifts it because of the type of action he puts on the ball.

Take the last over before tea.

Full-toss that went for 6.

Wide, sharply spinning leg break that was edged to slip.

Slider that was inside edged to short leg.

Wrong un that was cut to backward point.

MacGill benefits from having someone tie up the other end as the batsmen then go after him.

Warne can do it almost by himself.

Blaze

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
This match is unfortunately petering out to a foregone conclusion. It's difficult to see this concept surviving as a regular event after this mostly lacklustre performance from the World XI this series, unless something incredible happens in the second half of the match.

It would help if the on field umpires would use the 3rd umpire a bit more ensuring the right decision is made. I mean what a joke, they bring this system in to eliminate bad decisions and they still manage to **** it up.

In other news today in my game the opposition needed 15 runs with 4 wickets in hand, 10 overs to go and I took all 4 wickets in one over. Best individual performance of my career. I am stoked, especially as I got a 5th ball duck batting at 3 earlier in the day, not before being hit in the chest with a nasty short ball. Revenge is sweet.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Blaze said:
It would help if the on field umpires would use the 3rd umpire a bit more ensuring the right decision is made. I mean what a joke, they bring this system in to eliminate bad decisions and they still manage to **** it up.

In other news today in my game the opposition needed 15 runs with 4 wickets in hand, 10 overs to go and I took all 4 wickets in one over. Best individual performance of my career. I am stoked, especially as I got a 5th ball duck batting at 3 earlier in the day, not before being hit in the chest with a nasty short ball. Revenge is sweet.
Yep, they totally buggered up the Boucher decision.

Congrats on your bowling performance, mate - that's some over. :)

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
He lacks Warne's subtle variation and of course his incredibly accuracy, but so does just about every other spinner you could care to name. Macgill's wrong'un is actually better than Warne's (these days, that is). He's not as good as Warne or Murali, and probably not as good as Kumble either, but he's definately not a poor bowler like many people make out, and it is definately true that if he did not play with Warne he would have played many, many tests, and taken a lot of wickets.
oh i agree, i dont think macgill is a poor bowler either. and yes he'd have taken more wickets were warne not playing. but hes not a great/world class bowler that people make him out to be, and if you watch him for an extended period its extremely obvious. a large proportion of his deliveries today were very very wide of off stump. some were full tosses, others were too short. as far as him being as accurate as just about every other spinner to same, i'd guarantee you that almost every finger spinner is more accurate than him, as are kumble and murali.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Ouch. Nice hitting from Flintoff here.

C'mon Magilla.- and yes, he's got him. Far better delivery, but Flintoff still went for it.

social

Made Freddie look very silly there. Slightly shorter and slower = straight up in the air.