• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Average ODI squad?????? Whattttt!!!!
We have kicked ass as an ODI team in the last couple years. We can't play a Test to save ourselves but we always give it a go in the shorter form.
Yeah. Every ODI we go in to I feel we have a strong chance of winning, so I think it's not giving us anywhere near enough credit to say we're an average ODI squad.

Precambrian

Banned
Average ODI squad?????? Whattttt!!!!
We have kicked ass as an ODI team in the last couple years. We can't play a Test to save ourselves but we always give it a go in the shorter form.

The Plight of the Top 9
(last two years)

Australia have a W/L ratio of 2.83
SA 1.64
Pakistan 1.46
India 1.45
NZ 1.27
SL 1.0
WI .32
Bangladesh .08

The Plight of the Top 9 (last year)

Pakistan 4.0
Australia 3.75
India 2.25
SA 2.20
NZ 2.0
SL .72
England .54
WI .15
Bangladesh .04
yeah NZ have kicked the behinds of mainly England and the minnows since 2007 WC. NZ has beaten only once a team that is ahead of it, ie, SA.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah NZ have kicked the behinds of mainly England and the minnows since 2007 WC. NZ has beaten only once a team that is ahead of it, ie, SA.
But how many teams are ahead of us? As far as I know we've been ranked 3 for quite a lot of the time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
England are a decent team, beat SA at home just recently if anyone remembers... Since the 2007 WC we've played little to no one barring SA England and the minnows. We played Aus after the loss of Bond, and Fleming when the team was total shambles. Then destroyed the Poms.

Faceless void

Cricket Spectator
Once again goes on to show how mediocre the SL batting line-up is. Have always got to count on sanga or sanath to come up with the match winning knock. After the entry of sanga no one that has entered the team seems to possess the potential to succed in the international arena. As heartbreaking it is to say this is the worst batting line up among the top 8 teams.
Hope kandamby and mathews perform well. Have seen mathews performing here and there and he seems have the potential to fill in the boots of former players like mahanama. wont over estimate him by predicting that he'll end up as one of the best in the arena, but he's the best SL's got to offer.
And truly do hope Kandamby does well and make it into the team. Was an outstanding schoolboy cricketer. A versatile all rounder.Think he started playing in the battle of the maroons when he was 16 or 17.

Precambrian

Banned
NZ post WC 2007

Code:
[B]Opp	Matches	Won	Lost	Tied	NR[/B]
England	10	6	2	1	1
Aus	3	0	2	0	1
SA	3	1	2	0	0
Bangla	6	5	1	0	0
Scot	1	1	0	0	0
Ireland	1	1	0	0	0
[B]TOTAL	24	14	7	1	2[/B]
Says the story. NZ have beat only England conclusively who are no way near the top of ODI tables. (Or Shouldnt be)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Code:
[B]Team	Matches	Won	Lost	Tied	NR[/B]
England	10	6	2	1	1
Aus	3	0	2	0	1
SA	3	1	2	0	0
Bangla	6	5	1	0	0
Scot	1	1	0	0	0
Ireland	1	1	0	0	0
[B]TOTAL	24	14	7	1	2[/B]
Says the story. NZ have beat only England conclusively who are no way near the top of ODI tables. (Or Shouldnt be)
SA series was immensely tight. Australia we were beaten by the worlds finest in a time of change. England were beaten quite soundly despite showing some one day form, half of the reason they are ranked so low is because we beat them 6-2.

Precambrian

Banned
But how many teams are ahead of us? As far as I know we've been ranked 3 for quite a lot of the time.
The pecking order should be something like this

1. South Africa
2. Australia
3. India
4. Pakistan
5. New Zealand
6. England
7. Sri Lanka
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh

Precambrian

Banned
SA series was immensely tight. Australia we were beaten by the worlds finest in a time of change. England were beaten quite soundly despite showing some one day form, half of the reason they are ranked so low is because we beat them 6-2.
There may be excuses for defeat to Aus and SA, but in the end, they lost.

They have wallopped England, but England is hardly the marker to determine ODI prowess of a team.

I concede that NZ has not played other teams like SL, Ind, Pak etc and hence we cannot conclusively say they would have performed well or worse.

But purely from stats, NZ is a team which is above Eng but below Aus and SA.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The pecking order should be something like this

1. South Africa
2. Australia
3. India
4. Pakistan
5. New Zealand
6. England
7. Sri Lanka
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. India
4. NZ
5. Sri Lanka
6. Pakistan
7. England
8. WI
9. Bangladesh

Sri Lanka have arguably the world's best attack with a fit Malinga alongside Murali and Mendis.
Pakistan since June 2007

vs. SA W 2 L 3 @ home
vs. India W 2 L 3 away
vs. Zim W 5 away
vs. Bang W 5 @ home
vs. India W 2 L 2 @ home
vs. HK W 1 @ home
vs. SL L 1 @ home
vs. Bang W 2 @ home
vs. WI W 3 @ neutral

So many minnows and no conditions besides Zimbabwe who are rubbish at the moment outside the subcontinent. Not as good as their results are dictating, subcontinent teams need to show they can do well elsewhere like India has managed to do recently.

Athlai

Not Terrible
There may be excuses for defeat to Aus and SA, but in the end, they lost.

They have wallopped England, but England is hardly the marker to determine ODI prowess of a team.

I concede that NZ has not played other teams like SL, Ind, Pak etc and hence we cannot conclusively say they would have performed well or worse.

But purely from stats, NZ is a team which is above Eng but below Aus and SA.
Pakistan on the other hand have lost to India, Sri Lanka and South Africa while defeating Bangladesh Zimbabwe and the West Indies.

I reckon we could give the South Africans a run for their money at home, the Aussies too.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Once again goes on to show how mediocre the SL batting line-up is. Have always got to count on sanga or sanath to come up with the match winning knock. After the entry of sanga no one that has entered the team seems to possess the potential to succed in the international arena. As heartbreaking it is to say this is the worst batting line up among the top 8 teams.
Hope kandamby and mathews perform well. Have seen mathews performing here and there and he seems have the potential to fill in the boots of former players like mahanama. wont over estimate him by predicting that he'll end up as one of the best in the arena, but he's the best SL's got to offer.
And truly do hope Kandamby does well and make it into the team. Was an outstanding schoolboy cricketer. A versatile all rounder.Think he started playing in the battle of the maroons when he was 16 or 17.
I wouldn't say they were any worse than New Zealand or West Indies tbh. At least they don't have players like Findlay or Marshall, who average in the low 20's or worse when they were picked in the team.

Precambrian

Banned
Pakistan on the other hand have lost to India, Sri Lanka and South Africa while defeating Bangladesh Zimbabwe and the West Indies.

I reckon we could give the South Africans a run for their money at home, the Aussies too.
In terms of talent and form, I'd back NZ to defeat SA and Aus, than Pakistan beating them at the moment. However, I've ranked purely based on performances so far.

NZ cannot be called a world beater right now, and is without doubt in the middle of the gang.

Precambrian

Banned
152 all out. Piss poor performance from the batsmen. Hopefully the Orangers use their heads wisely and have a go at the total before BAW Mendis comes into play.

Although I will not be surprised if BAW Mendis comes in early, if not open the bowling itself.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Our top order is probably one of the best in ODI's at the moment.
In the last year:

McCullum 961 @48.05 SR 109.57
Ryder 263 @ 37.57 SR 84.29
How 672 @ 35.36 SR 71.03

With our middle order

Taylor 428 @ 42.80 SR 80.90
Oram 442 @ 44.20 SR 100.91
Stryis 517 @ 36.92 S/R 79.66

Last edited: