• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

anzac

International Debutant
Will Scarlet said:
I believe they can't find room for another player in NZ's EFFECTIVE middle order, and want him in there somehow. Due to the limited success of Cumming and J Marshall they obviously believe he should open!

IMO the best option is to bring in Fulton at #3, move Hamish down to #6 (as you have also stated) and find another opener; probably How.

As much as I disagree with the opening option for Fulton, he basically performs this for Canterbury, as the result of the Papps' poor form in recent times.
too early to condem either Cumming or J Marshall after 1 series v AUS.............so the Opening should NOT be a consideration this soon as neither really failed...............

and yes he's having to do a Flem for CANT this season with neither Papps nor McIntosh doing much at the top.............

anzac

International Debutant
psxpro said:
And leave Hamish where he is! hes doing well, and we could finally have found the no 3 we have looked for years. No 6 should be a aggressive player. Majority of batting line up needs to be aggressive. We already start slow with james marshall and especially cumming.
don't necessarily agree with any of that - Flem is very good at #3 if the openers do their job.........thus freeing Hamish to move elsewhere where he could be even more effective.............likewise I do not agree that #6 should be aggressive as of rote - IMO it depends on your split & makeup of your batting lineup..............

atm we are using a 6-4 split with no 'allrounder' while Oram is out...........AUS have shown in the last series how important it is to have a batting lineup that compliments each other - just look at the rescue acts in the 1st 2 Tests by Gilchrist at #7 in partnership with the more 'sedate' batsmen in their lineup - one of whom was Katich at #6 in a position previously occupied by S Waugh among others..............

I'm NOT advocating to have a purely defensive batsman, just 1 who is more moderate such as Marshall so as to be able to build partnerships around the aggressive players..........& also to get the best out of the likes of Oram, McCullum & Vettori by having a recognised batsman to partner them.............the best batting partnerships NZL has had in either form of cricket over the past season have involved Marshall at the crease.........

for too long NZL have had an aggressive yet pop gun middle order (esp with a 5-5 split) - too many batsmen have not only been 'aggressive' in style, but have also been looking to hit the boundary & have not made enough SS to rotate the strike & build partnerships..........consequently they get tied down at an end as a result of poor shot selection, and become target practice for quality bowling - resulting in the all too frequent batting collapses.........

it's as if the NZL batsmen equate 'aggressiveness' with having to look to hit the big shots - IMO this is a 'hitter' as per Limited Overs cricket, as opposed to being an 'aggressive' Test level batsman...

Ponting's 20/20 innings was good 'aggressive' cricket shots & he only took 'the long handle' very late...............plenty of 'normal' strokes to both score runs and rotate the strike & a high % of SS.............

anzac

International Debutant
Darrin said:
Thats where there appears to be a problem at the top of the order, thats why. There appears to me that they are not willing to put him elsewhere because in there opinion there is no room. He does have as good a technique as anyone else, there is no reason why it can't work. All this rubbish about having issues on the back foot is exactly that, rubbish. Why did they select front-foot players like Papps, vincent, cumming and astle likes to plod forward as well. There is always inconsistencies with john-rules for some and different ones for others.
my main gripe is that the players are not being given an equal opportunity to perform where they are most familiar - not only are they having to adjust to the higher level, but also being asked to fix a position that the more experienced players have been unable to do so...........

IMO the problems at the top of the order are NOT any more serious than the problems in the middle order over this decade, although the current 6-4 split offers a better balance & depth.............

yes the loss of early wickets at the top does expose the middle early, but it does NOT signal a batting collapse in the middle & lower orders such as has been the case in almost EVERY series this decade...............

it's not just a case of having more batsmen, but also having the right balance & skills - IMO the likes of Styris, Astle & McMillan = 1 position in a 5-5 split, 2 at max in a 6-4 split depending on where they are in the lineup..........too many of our so called 'aggressive' batsmen are 'converted' LO lower order bowling 'allrounders'.........

a final note on the Fulton Opening option - if Flem can't do the job and he's supposedly our best batsman at this level, then why the hell should we require / expect it of another middle order batsman with no experience at this level - Fulton has scored his runs in the middle order - even if he has had to come in early this season..............

IMO it's a conspiracy to discredit the top middle order performers in domestic cricket by making them Open to get into the side, and then discard them when it doesn't work........(Vincent, Sinclair, Fulton???), thus leaving the door open for Macca as the only 'proven & viable' option in the middle order....................as rediculous as it sounds I shan't think otherwise until I see the 'senior' players in the middle order being asked to move out of their 'comfort zone' and put their 'experience' to the test..........Macca & Astle primarily........and I'd NOT consider McCullum as an option until he controls his shot selection better................

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Less than 2 hours before start of play on Day 1 and this thread has still not been pinned at the top !!

Looks like Cricket Web operates without moderators :D !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
6.4 Kulasekara to JAH Marshall, no run, short and wide outside off,
goes for the cut shot, edges it to slip, mix up between Jayasuriya
and Sangakkara, Jayasuriya drops it!

Damn !! I wonder what's wrong with Jayasuriya, but the guy has started dropping a lot of catches lately ! :@ I wonder if its age catching up !! :-O

psxpro

Banned
It was actually a bit of sangakarra's fault, it was jayasuria's catch but sangakarra dived for it for no reason and blocked jayasuria's view, jayasuria didnt look happy

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Good start by Kiwi openers.

Am I right in saying Cumming looks more comfortable than Marshall. And reading the Cricinfo commentary, Kulasekera looks to be the bowler who could break thru ?

psxpro

Banned
JASON said:
Good start by Kiwi openers.

Am I right in saying Cumming looks more comfortable than Marshall. And reading the Cricinfo commentary, Kulasekera looks to be the bowler who could break thru ?
Cumming lbw by VAss. 35/1. Great bowling by vass, he was setting cumming up for this.
Both openers have looked a bit shaky, James Marshall has played more shots and given a chance but I feel thats just the way he plays.

The Marshall Twins in together now.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chipmonk said:
Any One knows hoe I could get live Audio on this match ??

Please help :blink:
I don't know if this may help - try "Radio Sport" NewZealand via the internet ! :)

psxpro

Banned
JASON said:
I don't know if this may help - try "Radio Sport" NewZealand via the internet ! :)

Yea radio sports will have free live audio, but they are 20 mins late on the internet.

Jason Are you a srilankan supporter?

Srilankan bowlers have bowled well so far I think.
Hopefully one of the Marshall's or Fleming gets a big score

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
psxpro said:
Cumming lbw by VAss. 35/1. Great bowling by vass, he was setting cumming up for this.
Both openers have looked a bit shaky, James Marshall has played more shots and given a chance but I feel thats just the way he plays.

The Marshall Twins in together now.
Maybe he had already been out in the previous over ?

11.2 Vaas to Cumming, no run, full ball, on leg stump and swings in,
Cumming tries to play it on the on side, hits on the pad, shout
for lbw, ball is going to miss the leg stump

Any way doesn't make much difference now . Did you see previous one ?