• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

dinu23

International Debutant
I wander if sanath's home in matara is effected by floods. do u have any info on that nookie.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
nookie_lk said:
I think they should continue the tour...and the officials should send some of the income made from the tickets to people who were affected in Sri lanka and everywhere else...
Its a black Monday morning over here in Sri lanka....
Sad to hear it !!

Its the poor fishing families living on the coast and tourist hotels and people whose houses were close to the Sea that must be affected !!

My heart goes out to them !!

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
dinu23 said:
if NZ had batted first they would have found themselves in trouble just like SL. the pitch had dried up and the nip it had in the morning had gone when Astle and Fleming came to bat.

Nevertheless, credit should be given to the NZ bowlers. they bowled brilliantly.
No they wouldn't have. NZ are used to batting in conditions like that. They bat in those kind of conditions every year. The pitch was better than the score sri lanka posted suggested. 130 is not good enough considering the match started at midday NZ time so there was no morning nip. There was a bit of movement off the pitch early on but had Sri Lanka not got themselves out early on and conserved wickets they could have easily posted 240+. I think if NZ had batted first with their batting depth and the short boundaries they would have posted at least 250

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
tour is officially on hold..

One of the players has had a family member killed....

Sounds like there is a chance the tour could be over...

shaka

International Regular
I think they should play one more and see how they go, use the ticket sales as part of the money to be sent as aid. I think they said tremors have been occuring within the last few hours, heard on our one news program.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
It was on the news. The only reason Sri Lanka should stay is if some of the money from the games goes back home with them. I'm not sure if this is logistically possible, but hopefully NZ Cricket will step in.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
my GUESS is the mother should be Sanath jayasuriya's........ since they live in Matara. Its just a guess !!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like the tour will continue, but the second ODI has been post-poned, giving the players a longer break to make contact with their families and in keeping with the 5 day period of mourning in Sri Lanka .

Here's the news item -

Wednesday's one-dayer postponed

Sri Lanka's tour goes ahead

Cricinfo staff

December 27, 2004

The Sri Lankan board (SLC) has announced that all matches, international and domestic, will be postponed in recognition of the five-day period of national mourning following the disaster on Sunday. The series in New Zealand will continue, although Wednesday's one-dayer at Napier has been postponed until January 11.

"New Zealand Cricket has great compassion for the people of Sri Lanka and what they have suffered during this terrible time," said Martin Snedden, New Zealand Cricket's chief executive. "It is testament to the strong relationship between the two boards that they have worked together to quickly find a workable solution."

The ODI series will recommence with the match at Queenstown on Sunday (January 2).

It is estimated that over 3000 people died or went missing when waves hit the northern coast of the island and that over a million people have been displaced. An unnamed player's mother was injured, while other players were still awaiting news on their extended families.

© Cricinfo

revised itinerary -
2 Jan 2005 2nd ODI Queenstown
4 Jan 3rd ODI Christchurch (D/N)
5 Jan Reserve Day
8 Jan 4th ODI Wellington (D/N)
9 Jan Reserve Day
11 Jan 5th ODI Napier
12 Jan Reserve Day
*10-12 Jan v Auckland Auckland
*15-19 Jan 1st Test Hamilton
*22-26 Jan 2nd Test Wellington

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully players will still be allowed to go home to be with their families if they need to. There are some things more important than cricket.

Happy to see they are staying though, was planning to go to the Christchurch game and was looking forward to seeing the Sri Lankans, they are the only team apart from Bangladesh that I haven't yet seen live.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
^ Well said.. its sad news.. and i think it will be tough calls trying to play cricket even after the short break.. i would imagine as a player the news.. event would be rolling in my mind right from the start to the end of the game..

anzac

International Debutant
sad news indeed........

like many others I hope that they put together an ODI at a major venue as a disaster relief fundraiser & promote it as such to draw a big gate..........

dinu23

International Debutant
Murali was in galle just 20 minutes before the tsunamis hit there. the famillies of Malinga and Dilhara are effected by the tsunamis.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
My deepest sympathies to Sri Lanka (And to the rest of the area's affected).

Not a bad pitch from Eden Park considering the rain that has been around Auckland recently. I don't think NZ would have struggled as much as Sri Lanka did...I think it's just a case of getting used to the conditions here & they probably would have handled that innings a little better than they did.

A fairly sporting pitch considering both sides had to deal with a bit of swing in their first 10 or 15 overs. Im a little amazed that Attapattu didn't give Vaas 7 or 8 straight overs because he could have done some damage for sure.
Astle may struggle in this series because he has always struggled against quality left-armers.

My gripe is that when a side bowls out another side in less than 40 overs, then there is this ridiculous rule that they must then come out & bat for 5 or so overs before the 40 minute break...to me that's giving some of the advantage back to the opposition. Batsmen have to set themselves twice.

I hope Sri Lanka lift for the series rather than struggle now...5-0 would probably not be a fair reflection of their recent ODI form.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
I feel sri lanka will bounce back with good form...usually they do when a situation like this arises.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka probably get the ideal chance now to get back on track down at Queenstown. If it's been sunny down there then batting should be good.

shaka

International Regular
On cricinfo Sri Lanka say they were forced to remain on tour, not sure how this will play in the upcoming games.